Canuck Audio Mart Hifi and Audio ForumCanuck Audio Mart Hifi and Audio Forum
It is currently Tue Dec 12, 2017 7:13 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

PostPosted: Tue Mar 02, 2010 4:52 pm 

Room acoustics is a subject near and dear to my heart as no doubt any of you that have suffered through my long posts on the subject will attest! :D :D Anyhow recently staff received a request to collect all the past posts on this subject into one spot, ideally a dedicated forum in order to facilitate easy searches. Posts on this subject have been kinda spread around here and there. I've moved everything I found in the "Listening Room" and "DIY" forums into this new sub-forum. If any of you come across other relevant threads in other forums, please just ping one of the Mods via PM and we'll get it moved over. Enjoy.

Happy Trails!
MTB Vince

PostPosted: Sun Jul 04, 2010 3:20 pm 

I found some interesting articles about Acoustic treatments here http://www.marketnews.ca/LatestNewsHeadlines/CustomCorner:AcousticOptionsPart1.html
and here http://www.marketnews.ca/LatestNewsHeadlines/CustomCorner:AcousticOptions-Part2.html
and here http://www.marketnews.ca/LatestNewsHeadlines/CustomCorner:AcousticOptions-Part3.html
and part 4 here http://www.marketnews.ca/LatestNewsHeadlines/CustomCorner:AcousticOptions-Part4.html

I hope it helps

PostPosted: Sun Jul 04, 2010 3:36 pm 

Thanks Vince!
It is great to be able to have everything close to remind me, as I will build a new room soon.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 04, 2010 4:28 pm 

The new subforum is a good idea, but what's the purpose of the Listening Room now?

PostPosted: Mon Jul 05, 2010 6:37 pm 

ripblade wrote:
The new subforum is a good idea, but what's the purpose of the Listening Room now?

Perhaps now it is a forum to post invitations for people to come to your Listening Room with their fav recordings and your fav refreshment. :D

PostPosted: Mon Jul 05, 2010 6:42 pm 

Stark wrote:
ripblade wrote:

Perhaps now it is a forum to post invitations for people to come to your Listening Room with their fav recordings and your fav refreshment. :D

Now that's an idea! I'm sure a more than few CAM members would get a kick out of a forum to make these types of arrangements.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 14, 2010 7:30 pm 

nice very nice. The final frontier :mrgreen:

PostPosted: Wed Mar 16, 2011 12:02 pm 

I came across this product on a design website. It neatly answers the common and justifiable complaint against room treatments: they're butt ugly. These have a cool sixties look and are infinitely variable in location and colour / pattern. I'm not sure they've entirely thought through the attachment method but it could be worth a look.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 28, 2013 11:47 am 

website please...

PostPosted: Thu Feb 28, 2013 1:21 pm 
Premium User

bobnegi wrote:
website please...

Hmmmm, Bob, that is a 2 year old post you are responding to .... :lol: :lol: :lol:

PostPosted: Thu Feb 28, 2013 2:04 pm 

Yeah I know it's two years old, but much like elephants, the Internet NEVER forgets!

I actually stumbled upon a Canadian site through ebay, just trying to figure out my ebay password, think I will order some treatments through them, most reasonable prices I have come across.

http://www.ebay.ca/itm/Soundproofing-Fo ... 1e655d5532

Besides, I never have, nor will I ever...underestimate the power of the darkside :wink:

PostPosted: Thu Feb 28, 2013 4:50 pm 
Premium User

bobnegi wrote:
Yeah I know it's two years old, but much like elephants, the Internet NEVER forgets!

I actually stumbled upon a Canadian site through ebay, just trying to figure out my ebay password, think I will order some treatments through them, most reasonable prices I have come across.

Besides, I never have, nor will I ever...underestimate the power of the darkside :wink:

Oh Bob .... you are in such doggie doo now for angering the CAM gods!!!

There was just another thread on these last week where someone (who has never seen or heard them) declared that these were useless because he had heard from the friend of his mother's, dogwalker's, mailman's wife's hairdresser who has it on good authority that someone who read on the internet that foam could not be used for acoustic treatment. Of course, the fact that sound studios have been using stuff just like it on the cheap for 4 decades fo quick & dirty room treatment means nothing.

They are cheap to buy and try compared to custom made Roksul filled acoustic panels and are easy to put up and take down, though they are not as effective at all frequencies. Wether they will do what you expect them to for your problems in your room is something that only trying them for yourself will tell. I kind of like the retro-techno look myself and was planning on ordering a few different kits for my new appartment.

Please keep us posted on how they work out for you!

PostPosted: Fri Mar 01, 2013 9:02 am 

I ordered up the Bass Traps, it is a stealth vendor, which on first blush appears to be based out of Canada, but are actually located in the States. Oh well

I posted this on the BIG PLANTS??? thread
I finally have started to pay atention to room treatments, could not figure out why my system was so bright sounding.

Using the clap test (feel free to insert your joke), we discovered that there was a lot of reflection coming from wall-unit glass doors, and a lamp shade. Remove the two offenders, and that made a huge difference. But, I still had a problem with the rear wall reflection, based on this thread, I decided to move one of my large fake plants to the rear wall, I was amazed. It worked really well.

Thanks all!

I think I am just feeding my sickness by buying the bass traps, as I really have never cared about the low frequency, although anyone that comes over and sees I have 3 subs...I generally keep the sub volume quite turned down, I find at higher sub volumes it seems to pressurize the whole room, and I can feel it in my ears, just don't like it. Perhaps this bass trap will assuage those feeling. Or maybe I need 3 subs which are the same model, or 4 subs from SVS or somewhere. They just cost so much...

My maybe ok/maybe to cheap subs:
Klipsch SW110B Subwoofer
Precesion Audio 10" Subwoofer
Jamo 8-inch 200 watt Subwoofer - SUB 200

All together cost me $550 (on sale) which is less than the price of one sub from one of the drooled over manufacturerers. Maybe I need real sub(s)?

I dunno, it's only a hundred bucks for the traps, wasted far more than that on all kinds of audio related things. Proof will be in the pudding, perhaps these treatments will stop me from being irritated with my subs.

Keep y'all posted

PostPosted: Fri Mar 01, 2013 9:37 am 

Bob, you found a very interesting product on the cheap. The NRC value for the lowest available frequency for those bass is 1.18, at 125 Hz.
Auralex LENRD bass trap NRC coefficient at 125Hz (http://www.auralex.com/testdata/ ) is 1.24. So not bad. LENRD price is about double even at employee store prices.

I'd love to find a real bass trap, which has good NRC around 60-80Hz, but that would require at least 2-ft-deep traps, which won't work in my 'average' sized listening room... Let us know how your new traps will perform.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 14, 2013 1:52 pm 

Well it turns out to be a stealth site, which is based in USA, but ships up here. I Ordered the bass traps, and some acoustic foam a week later. Still waiting for the traps to show up. In the mean time...

I made some quick and dirty bass triangular traps for the bottom 4' feet or so behind the front wall. Had some left over Roxul Safe n' Sound. I am simply STUNNED at the difference. The bass is far tighter, a lot of the boom and mud is gone, an amazing improvement.

Somewhere I read that subwoofers prefer their own dedicated power line, as I had all the materials to install one lying around, I decided to do that as well. Another incremental improvement was to be found. I think I finally know what is meant by a lower noise floor, never understood it before. I am starting to get happy with my subwoofers. First time ever a kick drum actually sounded like a kick drum, as opposed to a 'thud'.

Still waiting for the darn traps to arrive, as I need to do the upgrades one at a time, so I can tell if the latest had any effect or not.

Anyways the traps are taking sooooo long to get here, I decided to buy a set of SVS PB-1000 subs , one is already at the Purolator depot, the second one, (I have been jonesing over a matching pair of subs for many years) cause I decided to get another one after placing the initial order, should be here on Monday.

Damn you bass traps, damn you to hell! When are you going to get here??!!

It will take the patience of Job not to hook up the new subs before the bass traps get here. But, that is what I need to do to continue with my quasi-scientific methodology.

-- 30 Mar 2013 18:50 --

Attachment:
HT Pix.jpg
HT Pix.jpg [ 133.14 KiB | Viewed 4158 times ]
Attachment:
HT Pix.jpg
HT Pix.jpg [ 133.14 KiB | Viewed 4158 times ]
The bass traps and 2" wedge foam from foamfactory.ca finally arrived, and now have been installed, along with my diy bass traps.

These room treatments will not bring a miracle whereby your $5K system will be transformed to one that sounds like a $200K system. But what it did for me was:

-widened the soundstage
-greater separation between instruments
-slight increase in decay
-turn down the gain on the subs, and surrounds
-significant reduction in overall brightness
-removed the boomy and muddiness of the subwoofers

I like being able to choose colours, the forest green blends quite well with the walls. With the lighting set for movie night, you cannot even see the treatments.

Right now my mains are sitting on top of the subs. My next step may be to get rid of the two entertainment towers and place the subs next to the fireplace, or try stacking them, or diagonal arrangement. I would really need proper rationalization to do this, as I would have to build shelves for the light show, and determine where all the stuff in the wall-units would be put. A huge job, I am uncertain of, as to giving any sonic benefits. Wharfedale Diamond 9.6 placement instruction tell me the space around the speakers is not enough (especially the right speaker) Thoughts?