Canuck Audio Mart Hifi and Audio ForumCanuck Audio Mart Hifi and Audio Forum
It is currently Sat Dec 16, 2017 3:18 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 07, 2009 11:13 am 

Hey Gordon,

Depends on your requirements I suppose. Your proposed approach wouldn't be a "bass trap" at all. It would only provide absorbtion from the middle of the mid-band on upwards. If that is the frequency range causing you problems then fine but I've never heard a room that didn't benefit from corner bass trapping. -And fibrous membrane-style bass traps require large enclosed volumes to work.

Happy Trails!
Vince@Freewheelcycle.com

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 08, 2009 3:51 am 

Unfortunately Vince is correct. It is all about depth when your are trying to control bass. It is due to the fact that the wavelength of low frequencies is much longer than with high frequencies. One thing that I learned that I have not seen shared her yet is the importance of leaving a gap of air between the wall or any hard surface in your traps. It is complicated to explain but I will do my best in a sentence. Sound has a velocity of 0 when hitting any surface, this causing 0 effectiveness of any material at the point of contact. The other side of this is that by leaving the absorbing material open at the back allows the material to move freely and therefore able to convert more pressure to heat.

Bare with me it is 7:50 here coffee number 1.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 16, 2016 10:52 am 

Gordon using drywall @ 45 degree wall to ceiling is good to lessen the horn effect of acoustic beaming,also you can stuff the hollow with insulation for some trapping.
Another benefit is to use it for pot lights because are not drilling holes in your ceiling creating a path for sound leakage.Incorperate all these things into the space and gain all the benefits mentioned.
At the same time 45 degree all 4 corners larger and stuff with insulation for hidden bass traps,there is lots of information on net doing these types of build designs,building from scratch gives you the advantage of $$ savings and doing it right the first time,have fun learning and enjoy a great sounding room,what you are doing is the very most important part of the adventure.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 16, 2016 7:18 pm 

Hey Zipp, not sure if you noticed but there is a date stamp on the upper right corner of posts. Many of your replies are to long inactive threads. Good to see you are eager to help others though. :)

PostPosted: Sat Apr 16, 2016 7:47 pm 
Premium User

Yeah , what's with bringing zombie threads ? Sorry zip but I've noticed that a lot in your late replies to topics , maybe before you bring those things up look at the dates man... Long gone and I'm sure the op has it all figured it out.
Take care