Canuck Audio Mart Hifi and Audio ForumCanuck Audio Mart Hifi and Audio Forum
It is currently Mon Oct 16, 2017 4:18 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

PostPosted: Sat Mar 21, 2009 3:21 am 

I am looking at building my own acoustic panels for my HT room. I will need 3 panels, 4 corners, and 1 base bin.

I am looking for Owens Corning 703 Rigid FiberGlass for this application. Does anyone know where to purchase this material in Canada and even more specific, Nova Scotia?

Here is my layout.

http://www.floorplanner.com/projects/18 ... ass=lxmdds

If you have any suggestions as to where I should or shouldnt put my panels, please feel free to comment.

The Definitions of all the placements is listed on the left.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 01, 2009 12:53 pm 

Hey I am not sure if they have the Owens Corning 703 but you may want to check out Ontario Fiber. They are in Ontario go figure. You can check out the traps I made on my site http://www.michaelgoodwin.net/5.html
There other pictures in there as well but you fill find em. There are notes at the top of the pictures. If you hold your mouse over the details they will expand. Good luck with your traps. If you have not found it already you should take a look at this site http://www.ethanwiner.com/basstrap.html

There is not a lot of good spots in the room unless you are wiling to hang traps over the speakers/furniture. You have two couches, that helps. I would try and put some good bass traps in X1 corner. There will be a lot of bass pooling in that and the X4 corner. If you can soak up some of that it may help with phase issues in the listening area. To do this you need some thick traps. Around 6 inches deep or so. I would also stick something in the X3 corner. That would not be to bad though as the couch should help.

Last edited by dalvo on Wed Apr 01, 2009 12:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 01, 2009 12:57 pm 

wow...looks awesome man..thx

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 01, 2009 3:04 pm 

I would put two to three 2x4 acoustic panels centered vertically on the wall behind and extending above the television...space them about 6" apart. Next I would put two to three 2x4 acoustic panels vertically next to one another with about 6-12" space between each, on the side wall above and behind the couch(is that a couch?), unless that is a window instead of a wall. If it's a window, hang heavy curtains. For bass, I would put triangular corner bass traps in the ceiling corners and underneath those I would hang 2x4 corner bass traps.

I used 2" rigid fiberglass (ottawa fibre - OFI-48 I think) for my acoustic panels and put them in 1x4 pine frames. The bass panels are the same thing, the only difference being that the bass panels are 4" thick and the outer facing has a foil membrane. I covered all with speaker fabric. If you go to my gallery, you will see these panels, including the triangular ones in the ceiling corners which are 6" thick.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 01, 2009 3:45 pm 

My DIY wall panels are a little more complex in design than Dalvo's great looking version but that's 'cuz they actually include diffusive elements too. These DIY Abfusor panels thus offer a more balanced approach to dealing with early reflections than depending solely on absorption. This can come in handy in rooms with little in the way of "natural" diffusion (tall book shelving, large house plants, etc) where using sufficient absorptive panels to knock down all the primary reflections can leave the room sounding too dead.

Unfortunately I've never created a build thread for my abfusor recipe (Again, hats off to Dalvo for that thorough and self explanatory pictorial walk-through of his panel build!) but I did mention all the ingredients in this thread on the evolution of my current listening room acoustics. Feel free to ask further questions if you'd like to try my design. The other room acoustic elements seen in the pic are mentioned in that thread too.

Happy Trails!
Vince@Freewheelcycle.com

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 02, 2009 3:45 am 

Nice job Vince! Looks great, and I bet sounds even better.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 02, 2009 6:37 am 

awesome advice guys..thanks a lot

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Apr 05, 2009 3:25 am 

Thanks for the kind words Vince :) I like your defusers. Did you put any fiber in them? I was thinking of making a huge defuser for my ceiling with tuned hole cutouts. In the end I could not deal with the work that would have been involved in building it as well as trying to figure out how to hang something that would weigh 40-80lbs from the ceiling.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Apr 05, 2009 6:14 am 

dalvo wrote:
Thanks for the kind words Vince :) I like your defusers. Did you put any fiber in them? I was thinking of making a huge defuser for my ceiling with tuned hole cutouts. In the end I could not deal with the work that would have been involved in building it as well as trying to figure out how to hang something that would weigh 40-80lbs from the ceiling.

Nope, no absorptive materials were used in the hollows of any of my "Poly" diffusers. I have enough broad-band absorption in the room already. In fact I've considered replacing a pair of of 2'x4' sidewall secondary abfussor panels with a pair of similarly sized Polys. I did add sheets of asphalt roofing shingles laminated to the back side to ensure the thin curved plywood panels wouldn't be contributing any mechanical vibration to my acoustics.

Funny you should mention the tuned ceiling Poly/bass trap. I've considered that precise thing too. It would actually be pretty straightforward to hang it on lag hooks. After my last bout of room acoustics tuning though, it appeared unnecessary. -And I long ago dealt with the first ceiling reflections using the pictured absorptive panels.

Happy Trails!
Vince@Freewheelcycle.com

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 06, 2009 4:41 pm 

So now the real question is what kinda bike do you ride? I have a beat to hell Cramerotti sitting in the hall setup as a track bike from my courier days. This is before every kid and there grandma rode fix gears :lol: It was nice and cheap to maintain. The only reason the guys I knew did it. Now it is "cool". Ha ha. So to tie it all in I am building a subwoofer to put on the back and....... ... . . .

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 06, 2009 5:19 pm 

First an apology to Will for heading totally OT...

I don't do the "fixy thing (or any road for that matter) though most of my shop staff own at least one fixed gear "knock around" bike or single speed mtb. I like my gears thank you! :P My latest XC ride is a customized carbon fiber Fisher 29er hardtail. It started life as a Superfly but all that is left stock is the frame and fork. I LOVE 29er mtbs. I've been riding "big wheel" XC bikes for about 8 years now and refuse to go back to 26" wheel XC bikes. I'm just waiting on our shop's master wheel builder to finish up the American Classic/Stan's tubeless disc wheelset. Weather permitting it goes on its inaugural ride next weekend. I've also got a Santa Cruz Nomad I use for bumpier more aggressive trail riding and a Brodie Demon that I do the DH thing on.

Happy Trails!
Vince@Freewheelcycle.com

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 07, 2009 3:23 am 

Indeed sorry to Will. It was ment as a joke. Please feel free to put us back on the track.

I want gears this summer. Sick of fix gear, so are my tired knees. I have some old parts kicking around hope I can convince them to work together.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 07, 2009 6:50 am 

I'm starting to do some planning of acoustic treatments for my music room right now as well. I was looking for some Owens Corning 705 to make some bass corner treaments, but it's hard to find. Instead I had Roxul Drainboard recommended to me. It's 8 lbs/cu ft, so it's more dense than 705 and I think it's cheaper.

What I was thinking was to cut the sheets into 2'x8' x 1" thick pieces, wrap them in some aesthetically pleasing fabric and secure them vertically in each corner of my room. Would this provide suitable absorption or should I make each panel 2" thick?

Also, could I use the Drainboard for all my acoustic panels, or will it absorb too much bass and deaden the room?

BTW, the room is 20x12x8, the floor is bamboo and the walls and ceiling are drywall.

Also, due an unrelated construction issue, I'm looking to drywall the top of the walls at 45 degrees to the ceiling (as opposed to the regular 90 degrees). This will eliminate all 90 degree top corners of the room. Will this result in any postive or negative acoustic impacts?

Thanks for any input you can give me.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 07, 2009 8:34 am 

gordon_gartrell wrote:
I'm starting to do some planning of acoustic treatments for my music room right now as well. I was looking for some Owens Corning 705 to make some bass corner treaments, but it's hard to find. Instead I had Roxul Drainboard recommended to me. It's 8 lbs/cu ft, so it's more dense than 705 and I think it's cheaper.

What I was thinking was to cut the sheets into 2'x8' x 1" thick pieces, wrap them in some aesthetically pleasing fabric and secure them vertically in each corner of my room. Would this provide suitable absorption or should I make each panel 2" thick?

Also, could I use the Drainboard for all my acoustic panels, or will it absorb too much bass and deaden the room?

BTW, the room is 20x12x8, the floor is bamboo and the walls and ceiling are drywall.

Also, due an unrelated construction issue, I'm looking to drywall the top of the walls at 45 degrees to the ceiling (as opposed to the regular 90 degrees). This will eliminate all 90 degree top corners of the room. Will this result in any postive or negative acoustic impacts?

Hi Gordon,

Absorption at low frequencies is a function of how much air volume this sort of trap encloses. You needn't worry about your shallow sidewall mounted panels slurping up all your bass. :wink: If you aren't going to build "Studiochunk-style"corner bass traps with a solid continuous stack of fiberglass in the room corners, then you need to ensure that you've built your corner mounted panel trap in such a way that it completely seals off the air volume behind it. For maximum trapping efficiency, the only egress for air into and out of the corner should be throgh the fibrous material- no shortcuts. Here is a link to the same very useful acoustics site discussing this approach to a corner bass trap. Insofar as drywalling the wall/ceiling junction at 45 degrees to hide HVAC mechanical or whatnot, there should be no real acoustic downside to doing so.

Happy Trails!
Vince@Freewheelcycle.com

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 07, 2009 8:58 am 

MTB Vince wrote:
gordon_gartrell wrote:

Hi Gordon,

Absorption at low frequencies is a function of how much air volume this sort of trap encloses. You needn't worry about your shallow sidewall mounted panels slurping up all your bass. :wink: If you aren't going to build "Studiochunk-style"corner bass traps with a solid continuous stack of fiberglass in the room corners, then you need to ensure that you've built your corner mounted panel trap in such a way that it completely seals off the air volume behind it. For maximum trapping efficiency, the only egress for air into and out of the corner should be throgh the fibrous material- no shortcuts. Here is a link to the same very useful acoustics site discussing this approach to a corner bass trap. Insofar as drywalling the wall/ceiling junction at 45 degrees to hide HVAC mechanical or whatnot, there should be no real acoustic downside to doing so.

Happy Trails!
Vince@Freewheelcycle.com

Thanks for the input Vince. You had posted this information for me a while ago and it was useful. What I was hoping was that I could avoid constructing the studio tips and just put 2 foot wide, 1 or 2 inch thick panels in a "L" arrange in the corners so that I'd still have usable space in the corners. Would this not give me enough absorptive volume in the corners?