Canuck Audio Mart Hifi and Audio ForumCanuck Audio Mart Hifi and Audio Forum
It is currently Mon Oct 23, 2017 7:22 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

PostPosted: Sat Feb 04, 2017 7:30 pm 

Hi wanting to improve my room and would like to measure before and after. A minidsp UMIK-1 microphone and REW free software is a good start I think.

I have a laptop to hookup the microphone but do I need to to hook up other cables to my stereo in? And are these rca because my laptop dose not have rca out. What specifically do I connect to what ?

I have seen graphs of rooms but not sure what is important. how easy is it to interperent what is making improvements to room?

How easy is software to use and run tests of room?

I think a few others could use a tuturiol on this as well.

Thanks Rob

PostPosted: Sun Feb 05, 2017 6:20 am 

Go over to Gik Acoustics,
there is a free tutorial video on how to use REW

PostPosted: Sun Feb 05, 2017 7:32 am 

Before and after what exactly? You did not specify. I would suggest doing some reading on the variety of acoustic principles that should be understood so that you tackling the right problems. Start with the bass, understand room modes and as well how the close boundary interference (SBIR) is interacting with speaker placement and the modes in your room. Gearslutz has lots of great info and lots of guys using REW. There is way too much to answer in one thread but I will say that the area to start with is the understanding of how low frequency waves behave and how the various treatments for bass work so you can choose the right instrument for your location.

https://www.gearslutz.com/board/studio-building-acoustics/610173-acoustics-treatment-reference-guide-look-here.html

PostPosted: Sun Feb 05, 2017 8:11 am 

muskyrob wrote:
I have a laptop to hookup the microphone but do I need to to hook up other cables to my stereo in? And are these rca because my laptop dose not have rca out. What specifically do I connect to what ?

REW will generate the frequency sweeps, so you need to connect the audio out on the laptop to the stereo.
You want a 3.5mm -> RCA cable.

muskyrob wrote:
I have seen graphs of rooms but not sure what is important. how easy is it to interperent what is making improvements to room?

Here is some good info:
http://realtraps.com/art_measuring.htm
Quote:
What we measure

The two main things we measure are raw frequency response as shown in Figure 1 above, modal ringing and reverb, and impulse response. Ringing is similar to reverb except it sustains some frequencies more than others. If you sing different notes in a large space like a church or auditorium, all of the notes will decay at more or less the same rate. In small rooms the decay times become much more frequency-dependant, especially at low frequencies. To view ringing decay time we use a "waterfall" graph like this:

muskyrob wrote:
How easy is software to use and run tests of room?

I think a few others could use a tuturiol on this as well.

Thanks Rob

https://www.minidsp.com/applications/ac ... p-with-rew
Quote:
With the miniDSP UMIK-1, you have an easy way to get started with acoustic measurement: to optimize and equalize your subwoofer, to correct for room effects, or even to design your own loudspeakers! In this application note, we'll show you how to get up and running with the UMIK-1.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 05, 2017 4:15 pm 

Yes thanks lots of good stuff!

PostPosted: Sun Feb 05, 2017 4:55 pm 

Post your graphs and we can help to interpret them.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 05, 2017 3:45 pm 

If you have a usb dac you can also use a usb cable to send the sweep to your setup.

For what I understand pros are looking first for ETC. Which means reflexions and the change in time.

You can easily find your reflexion point using the Impulse response Graph.

REW's help file have a lot of information.

Once you get your first measurements, post them here, we'll help you to understand them.

For my home use : impulse response, frequency response (all spl) and waterfall has been very useful.

viewtopic.php?f=36&t=47241

and

viewtopic.php?f=36&t=47466