Canuck Audio Mart Hifi and Audio ForumCanuck Audio Mart Hifi and Audio Forum
It is currently Sat Oct 21, 2017 5:49 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

PostPosted: Fri Sep 15, 2017 6:58 am 

I'm using an iPhone 6s to control my Aries Mini. I have no externally attached drive and stream Tidal. The native app size is 120MB, yet the app takes over 2GB of storage space on my phone. Why? There is no dowloaded content (does Lightening even have this feature like Tidal or Spotify?) or playlists other than those saved within Tidal. What is taking up 2+GB of storage on my phone? I've deleted all my Tidal offline content to no effect. Any suggestions?

PostPosted: Fri Sep 15, 2017 7:32 am 

There are many apps, both Android and iOS that increase in storage size after installation. Although, going from 120MB to 2GB is quite drastic. I don’t have an answer but will assume the app is caching things such as album art for faster load times as an example. This doesn’t really help but with Android this type of caching can be viewed and managed. Having a look on iTunes, I don’t see anything like a file explorer that allows you to view the devices internal storage in detail. A quick Google suggests reinstalling the app – kinda sucks!

PostPosted: Fri Sep 15, 2017 7:42 am 

Has norhing to do with iTunes. Lghtning DS is a standalone app.

Had the same issue. It seems that everytime you add content to the Aries it recreates a full database to add the new content. It does not seem to erase the old database. So data storage adds up rapidly. I'm guessing here.

The only way around it I found was to delete the app and all content on the iPhone and reinstall the app amd download a fresh database.

I hated Lightning DS. It would take several hours for it to create a database anytime you added content. I stopped using it.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 15, 2017 8:57 am 

GWN wrote:

Had the same issue. It seems that everytime you add content to the Aries it recreates a full database to add the new content. It does not seem to erase the old database. So data storage adds up rapidly. I'm guessing here.

The only way around it I found was to delete the app and all content on the iPhone and reinstall the app amd download a fresh database.

I hated Lightning DS. It would take several hours for it to create a database anytime you added content. I stopped using it.

Good to know.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 15, 2017 12:12 pm 

GWN wrote:

That's really strange - I've got Lightning on my iphone and I just checked and it's about 156mb and I have about 13k tracks in on my server. Mind you I usually use the app on my iPad to refresh when I add content but the iPhone app still works fine to access all content despite not being used to refresh the database?
Seems like YMMV scenario
Oops, forgot to mention that database refreshes only take 5 minutes or so, though I can't recall how long the original was but significantly longer I think.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 15, 2017 12:17 pm 
Dealer/Sponsor

This is due to artwork stored in the Cache. Contact your dealer for guidance on managing this type of data.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 15, 2017 12:23 pm 

shel243 wrote:
GWN wrote:

That's really strange - I've got Lightning on my iphone and I just checked and it's about 156mb and I have about 13k tracks in on my server. Mind you I usually use the app on my iPad to refresh when I add content but the iPhone app still works fine to access all content despite not being used to refresh the database?
Seems like YMMV scenario
Oops, forgot to mention that database refreshes only take 5 minutes or so, though I can't recall how long the original was but significantly longer I think.

Don't know. I was running the regular Aries and not the mini. Music was stored originally on a hard drive then on my NAS. I have close to 7 tb or around 130k of tracks. Every time I dumped the app and reloaded the software the amount of space taken on the iPad was always smaller. They may have also upgraded the software since I last used it about 1 1/2 year ago. I no longer have the Auralic.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 15, 2017 12:49 pm 

Hello GWN,

I have a aries mini also and whenever I have a question I go to the Auralic community.

https://community.auralic.com

Since I got rid or my pre-amp and I acquired the mini with power supply on the side I HAVE A NEW SOUND SYSTEM..

I'M NOT JOKING is like spending a few dollars instead of changing evening, same speakers, same cables, same Bryston 4B mono amps etc. AND IS THE CHEAPEST MODEL THEY MAKE!

Them Chinese ingénieurs are getting top of the line imho.

Go to the community and they will help you :D Gregory