Canuck Audio Mart Hifi and Audio ForumCanuck Audio Mart Hifi and Audio Forum
It is currently Sat Dec 16, 2017 6:13 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: Itunes
PostPosted: Thu Aug 31, 2017 9:00 pm 

Can someone guide me through the procedure of replacing the newest version of iTunes with the previous one for a Mac?

Post subject: Re: Itunes
PostPosted: Fri Sep 01, 2017 3:35 am 

Not as simple as deleting the app and reinstalling but might be possible. Can you post what version of iTunes you currently have installed, which version you want to downgrade to and what operating system is your Mac running ?

I should add - why are wanting to go back ? Is it an incompatibility issue, look and feel of the new version that is not working for you ?

PostPosted: Fri Sep 01, 2017 5:38 am 

Going back to a previous version of iTunes isn't easy but it can be done. You Tube is your friend here.
As for why you'd want an older version, it's probably because it worked.
I do not allow iTunes to update itself. It's a recipe for disaster. Find a stable version and stick with it.
Apple really doesn't see iTunes as much more than a mid-fi add on.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 01, 2017 7:28 am 

Hi,

Here is another suggestion. Just stop using itunes altogether. Tell your friends to do the same thing. Start a social movement!

The big four US tech firms, now referred to as GAFA in Europe (Google, Amazon, Facebook and Apple) are not your friends. They are surveillance devices that have monetized your clicks. Many people now believe they are the thin edge of a totalitarian future. Beware.

Cheers,
David Neice

PostPosted: Fri Sep 01, 2017 8:42 am 

buybye88 wrote:
Hi,

Here is another suggestion. Just stop using itunes altogether. Tell your friends to do the same thing. Start a social movement!

The big four US tech firms, now referred to as GAFA in Europe (Google, Amazon, Facebook and Apple) are not your friends. They are surveillance devices that have monetized your clicks. Many people now believe they are the thin edge of a totalitarian future. Beware.

Cheers,
David Neice

You should be careful with what you say, they are watching you.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 01, 2017 8:50 am 

itunes .. you have got to be kidding right ..

NOT

I dumped 35'000 songs , i had collected over time .. MP3 crap

Tidal HIFI and ROON .. = Music thats listenable

PostPosted: Fri Sep 01, 2017 9:34 am 

For those who wish to use itunes .....personally I have 47600 songs ripped in.aiff lossless format...it works very well in maintaining and backing up your library as well as setting up different libraries or playlists. The files are easily transportable...I use the Sony Hap-S1, a Synology Nas ,anAries Mini with internal hdd and two ipod classics with and without docs all with .aiff files in my main system and headphone setup. I can stream tidal or .aiff my nas from the aries, my Oppo and my Yamaha cdn500 players but seldom do because I prefer to update only the music I prefer thru cd purchases. Ios apps for all my devices work very well in using the above hardware (ipads and ipods).

I personally only use my computers for maintaining my libraries and stay away from usb and jitterbugging in listening to music. Jriver and roon are certainly capable music servers but itunes is also effective and should not be delegated to being inferior by elitist thinking.

As a sidenote to those interested in focal headphones there is a sale on now for $300 off the Elears and $1000 off Utopias.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 01, 2017 9:43 am 

Quote:
Tidal HIFI and ROON .. = Music thats listenable

+1

Itunes...? Big 4 - GAFA - surveillance or not, I prefer to use Tidal top res. At home.
On the go, you can too but I've not done so.

Organising and playing my ripped/ downloaded files thru' eg. Foobar 2000 I find to be very useful.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 01, 2017 11:49 am 

iTunes works well for music library management and playback. Ten years ago, they were the only real game in town when I started with computer streaming using a Mac. With the addition of other apps like Amarra, Pure Music and more recently Audirvana, iTunes works well, offers many features and was very stable for the years I used it. Many Mac users I know use iTunes in conjunction with Audirvana and the results are quite good.

Perhaps the issue is with a missing/hidden feature(s) since updating iTunes. There have been some changes to functionality over the last few versions but most of what was there before is still available. Just need to spend a little time finding it.

Not everyone wants to spend time tweaking and using a suite of software to listen to music. Some of us (like myself) have a fairly extensive local music library in a lossless audio format and use streaming services such as Tidal, Spotify, Apple Music, etc mainly for music discovery. I tend to play 90% of music from my own music library. Just because someone is using iTunes as the software of choice does not mean they are purchasing music in MP3 format.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 01, 2017 12:06 pm 

As for dougdyerd's comment that anyone using iTunes has to be kidding, my rebuttal would be no, I'm not. iTunes has worked well for me I've also bought Pure Music, Decibel, and tried Audirvana. All I can say is if they improved my playback I couldn't detect a huge difference if any. Most of my library consists of my purchased cd's ripped to AIFF or high res 24/96. Out of 18,000 songs Maybe 400 or less are 16/256 bought from iTunes. As I stated that I wasn't convinced that purchased external players sounded better than iTunes although, I may use one in the near future. Just to clarify I'm not deaf but I think my recent change to the Cord 2Qute DAC made a difference I can clearly hear. My reason for wanting to use the previous version of iTunes is because the new version has grayed out all the song titles on my compilations and if they are part of a playlist iTunes refuses to recognize them.

-- 01 Sep 2017 15:07 --

As for dougdyerd's comment that anyone using iTunes has to be kidding, my rebuttal would be no, I'm not. iTunes has worked well for me I've also bought Pure Music, Decibel, and tried Audirvana. All I can say is if they improved my playback I couldn't detect a huge difference if any. Most of my library consists of my purchased cd's ripped to AIFF or high res 24/96. Out of 18,000 songs Maybe 400 or less are 16/256 bought from iTunes. As I stated that I wasn't convinced that purchased external players sounded better than iTunes although, I may use one in the near future. Just to clarify I'm not deaf but I think my recent change to the Cord 2Qute DAC made a difference I can clearly hear. My reason for wanting to use the previous version of iTunes is because the new version has grayed out all the song titles on my compilations and if they are part of a playlist iTunes refuses to recognize them.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 01, 2017 12:29 pm 

I started using iTunes because at the time it was the only way I knew to get music on my iPod.
I don't listen to MP3's , all my music is in ALAC and ripped from my own cd collection.
For the most part iTunes is dead easy to use (although Apple's constant tinkering with has made it more difficult to use).
Someday I'll try another format but for now I have another iPod Classic to fill so iTunes it is.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 01, 2017 12:32 pm 

mac10 wrote:
My reason for wanting to use the previous version of iTunes is because the new version has grayed out all the song titles on my compilations and if they are part of a playlist iTunes refuses to recognize them.

Maybe this will work. suggestion was found on this thread - https://discussions.apple.com/thread/5405116?tstart=0

Seems the greyed out tracks are no longer "selected", a possible solution seems to be to select all the tracks, using Command-A while in iTunes, then right-click and click on "check selection".

PostPosted: Fri Sep 01, 2017 1:27 pm 

Hi,

franksmith wrote:' You should be careful with what you say, they are watching you.'

I bloody well hope so! :lol: I hope the GAFA coders get many cheap thrills counting my clicks while I am cruising Kijiji looking for hand tools so they can in turn sell that data to Canadian Tire. So, take that - all you GAFA cretins of techno-babble!

Cheers,
David Neice

PostPosted: Fri Sep 01, 2017 1:39 pm 

I heard gafa was behind climate change. Someone highly placed told me. I was never here.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 01, 2017 2:04 pm 

mac10.

The issue with greyed out songs is not new – I recall experiencing this problem back in the early days of iTunes when there were no alternatives to sync iPods. So reverting (or trying to revert) to a previous version may not be a solution. Unfortunately I cannot remember how I solved the issue – it’s been so long ago I doubt they even apply. But I did find this on the interwebz which may assist in trying to find the root of the problem. Hopefully Apple does not think you have unsupported DRM content, otherwise an iTunes alternative might be in hand.

https://appletoolbox.com/2016/05/itunes ... ow-to-fix/

As for the paranoid ones who think the big tech companies are watching….it’s not GAFA you should be worried about. Everything from TV’s to toasters is collecting your “on-net” habits – it’s the little companies that profit largely from selling your information. It’s also these little companies that do not have a secure enough infrastructure to ward off possible data breaches. People are discussing Tidal and ROON in this thread…what have these companies done to ensure your confidential data is kept away from those who could really f-up your life? Your financial institution wards off 10’s of thousands of attacks DAILY…it only takes 1 breach! Keep that in mind next time you order your online pizza!!