Canuck Audio Mart Hifi and Audio ForumCanuck Audio Mart Hifi and Audio Forum
It is currently Sat Oct 21, 2017 2:33 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

PostPosted: Wed Sep 06, 2017 10:14 am 

doctor_big wrote:

Very interesting. Two comments:

1) The noise is about 110db down - I wonder if that would be audible?
2) I'd like to see the same measurements of two wildly different USB transports. Apples to apples, like.

The Chromecast is far from 110db down which demonstrates the importance of the source. One could argue that it is only a $50 device but who is to say that a Pi, Bluesound or any digital appliance has addressed the problems that contributed to the Chromecasts poor measurements.

As for comparing USB transports or sources – On paper USB has the potential of being a superior interface in comparison to SPDIF. However….it is also plagued with it’s own set of problems. Ill performing controllers, poor connections, noise rejection (or lack of), unstable power delivery, poorly written drivers, just to name a few. Even if these were addressed, a computer including a Raspberry Pi could be suffering from high latency where a CPU does not fill the audio buffers in a timely fashion resulting in garbage data being sent to the DAC in the forum of distortion, pops, clicks or drop-offs. Contrary to some belief, there is not a single DAC on the market that performs a checksum on the data it receives then request lost data to be resent! At least to my knowledge.

Regardless of the interface garbage in, garbage out!

Pneumonic wrote:
Spotify no longer works via the cloud server (ie mysqueezebox.com). However, it can still work by installing Logitech Media Server (LMS) locally, onto your hard drive (and some NASes), coupled with running the Spotty plugin.

See this thread for more information.

http://forums.slimdevices.com/showthrea ... tty-v1-1-0

***** Keep your Touch for it's still a fantastic piece of kit ******

Probably the best advice of this thread! Costs nothing and the OP keeps using the Squeezebox!

PostPosted: Wed Sep 06, 2017 10:34 am 

sthomas1049 wrote:
doctor_big wrote:
Contrary to some belief, there is not a single DAC on the market that performs a checksum on the data it receives then request lost data to be resent! At least to my knowledge.

Actually, the SB Touch uses TCP/IP to get its data from the server. So technically, it may actually be the only one. A bit of a stretch, I know, but....

PostPosted: Wed Sep 06, 2017 11:11 am 

doctor_big wrote:

Actually, the SB Touch uses TCP/IP to get its data from the server. So technically, it may actually be the only one. A bit of a stretch, I know, but....

Although I did not state – I was talking about USB & SPDIF in the forum of transmitting a digital audio signal. But to split hairs, the SB touch could be considered a network device with an audio component. Saying that, it’s data (not audio) buffers are of such a small size, it can only handle the smallest of data errors.

I own a SB touch. And given how saturated wifi is in my area, especially the 2.4ghz band, it was plagued with all kinds of audible issues. No amount of error correction perform by the SB could rectify these abnormalities. Because a wired connection into my network was out of the question, my solution was to use a wireless bridge on the 5ghz band (which was less congested) and connect the Touch via ethernet into it’s network hub.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 06, 2017 11:20 am 

sthomas1049 wrote:
doctor_big wrote:

Although I did not state – I was talking about USB & SPDIF in the forum of transmitting a digital audio signal. But to split hairs, the SB touch could be considered a network device with an audio component. Saying that, it’s data (not audio) buffers are of such a small size, it can only handle the smallest of data errors.

I own a SB touch. And given how saturated wifi is in my area, especially the 2.4ghz band, it was plagued with all kinds of audible issues. No amount of error correction perform by the SB could rectify these abnormalities. Because a wired connection into my network was out of the question, my solution was to use a wireless bridge on the 5ghz band (which was less congested) and connect the Touch via ethernet into it’s network hub.

With my Touch hooked up through wifi, I too was at the mercy of the network strength. However, my only issues were with buffering (an annoyance all its own) and I never noticed any audible errors. Since I hooked it up via a homeplug connection, it's been flawless.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 06, 2017 1:26 pm 

Pneumonic wrote:
SPACEMANRICK wrote:
I have been using my Squeezebox touch for the past 4 years to stream my FLAC files from my computer to my 2 channel audio system. In the past 2 years I have migrated to using my Squeezbox touch more and more with Spotify to play music on my 2 channel system. As of 3 weeks ago the Squeezbox touch is no longer supported by Spotify and I can no longer access Spotify.

Spotify no longer works via the cloud server (ie mysqueezebox.com). However, it can still work by installing Logitech Media Server (LMS) locally, onto your hard drive (and some NASes), coupled with running the Spotty plugin.

See this thread for more information.

http://forums.slimdevices.com/showthrea ... tty-v1-1-0

***** Keep your Touch for it's still a fantastic piece of kit ******

+1.

Doing this for a while and it works better that the original plugin.

You can run LMS on quite inexpensive hardware, BTW.

Good luck!

PostPosted: Wed Sep 06, 2017 3:41 pm 

I retired my SBT once I received my new MicroRendus and tried Roon. Easy to set up, use and place, and far better sound with fewer dropouts, though I do miss the SBT's display and its workhorse nature. A great, great product, that deserved better than it got from Logitech in recent years. The BlueSound, Aries Mini, Pi and MicroRendu are all solid replacement options, IMO.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 06, 2017 4:30 pm 

Everest Audio wrote:
The test, as suggested, wouldn't work as the Node 2 doesn't have a usb digital output. So, you'd be testing two different devices and different digital cables at the same time.

Don't mean to hijack, but I have a question regarding the Node 2, as compared to a squeezebox...
One of the things I love about the squeeze environment is the way that you can have multiple boxes in the house, and use them independently, or sync them to play a common play list. I'm currently running 5 for example, the bedroom, the tv room, the music room, the basement, the garden shed.... Everybody can be listening to different things, or, all can be playing the same thing, with no weird delay effects as I move about the house. This is an important feature for me, and any streaming solution that doesn't do it well, is a non-starter. The Node-2, and other devices that "find and stream" your collection, don't appear to be well suited for the synced type behaviour I need.

Comments?
Thanks Dave

PostPosted: Wed Sep 06, 2017 5:44 pm 

^^^^ excellent example of one size does not fit all.

With 5 SB’s, I hope you gave Logitech a piece of your mind when they ceased development!

PostPosted: Wed Sep 06, 2017 6:22 pm 
Dealer/Sponsor

dcrooks wrote:
Everest Audio wrote:
The test, as suggested, wouldn't work as the Node 2 doesn't have a usb digital output. So, you'd be testing two different devices and different digital cables at the same time.

Don't mean to hijack, but I have a question regarding the Node 2, as compared to a squeezebox...
One of the things I love about the squeeze environment is the way that you can have multiple boxes in the house, and use them independently, or sync them to play a common play list. I'm currently running 5 for example, the bedroom, the tv room, the music room, the basement, the garden shed.... Everybody can be listening to different things, or, all can be playing the same thing, with no weird delay effects as I move about the house. This is an important feature for me, and any streaming solution that doesn't do it well, is a non-starter. The Node-2, and other devices that "find and stream" your collection, don't appear to be well suited for the synced type behaviour I need.

Comments?
Thanks Dave

As far as I know, this shouldn't be a problem with Bluesound, but I haven't tried multiple devices like you're mentioning. That's part of the purpose with the whole Bluesound ecosystem. With that said, I tend to sell mostly just a single Node 2 for a customer's main rig. I do have some that have a Node 2 and a product like the Pulse Mini, but not a bunch of devices to the extent that you have.