Canuck Audio Mart Hifi and Audio ForumCanuck Audio Mart Hifi and Audio Forum
It is currently Mon Oct 23, 2017 2:46 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

PostPosted: Sun Aug 13, 2017 7:15 am 

I have been using my Squeezebox touch for the past 4 years to stream my FLAC files from my computer to my 2 channel audio system. In the past 2 years I have migrated to using my Squeezbox touch more and more with Spotify to play music on my 2 channel system. As of 3 weeks ago the Squeezbox touch is no longer supported by Spotify and I can no longer access Spotify.

Any suggestions on what to replace my Squeezebox touch with that will allow me to access my FLAC files on my PC and also play Spotify? I am looking for something that sounds good but also reasonably priced. I also have a seperate tube DAC that I use currently with my Squeezebox touch. I have read there is a seperate program called "spotty" that some people are using now to run Spotify on their Squeezebox touch but it seems to be a pain in the butt to setup and run. I am looking for something hopefully also pretty easy to setup.

Thanks for any ideas offered!

PostPosted: Tue Aug 15, 2017 10:50 pm 

A Raspberry Pi3 should solve your problem.

Do you have Apple products in your house? If so you could use Airplay to the Pi. Even use a HiFiBerry Digi+ Pro with coax out to your dac (they even sell a nice steel case so not to look tacky). It sounds very good and this is what I have setup for my gf to use Airplay.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 16, 2017 3:19 am 

Watching with interest.

Collecting vintage tube Pilot (Pilotone) HiFi gear.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 16, 2017 5:55 am 

Title edited to make topic easier to find.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 16, 2017 9:58 am 

I encountered the same issue with my SB Touch, so I dropped Spotify and switched to Deezer, which runs seemlessly on the SB. Same sound quality.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 16, 2017 1:58 pm 

Lap top (Foobar UPnP Media Server) ---> WiFi ---> Android Box (Foobar) HDMI ---> Audio Receiver/Processor etc.

Just an easy example, replace any program that uses UPnP, and enjoy.

With an android box you can access any music that is on the internet, some free, some you subscribe to...

Regards
Ohms

PostPosted: Sun Aug 20, 2017 1:15 pm 
Dealer/Sponsor

There are a number of ways to go as already mentioned, but something like the Bluesound Node 2 is a great call. Disclosure: we are a Bluesound dealer. A piece like this will allow you to access FLAC files and stream from Spotify, TIDAL and a whole lot more. The big bonus is that it also sounds a lot better than the Squeezebox and has great apps for iOS, Android and desktop. It also can be used as a Roon endpoint and is MQA capable as well. You're definitely due for an upgrade as there are plenty of better sounding options available.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 20, 2017 1:28 pm 

Everest Audio wrote:
There are a number of ways to go as already mentioned, but something like the Bluesound Node 2 is a great call. Disclosure: we are a Bluesound dealer. A piece like this will allow you to access FLAC files and stream from Spotify, TIDAL and a whole lot more. The big bonus is that it also sounds a lot better than the Squeezebox and has great apps for iOS, Android and desktop. It also can be used as a Roon endpoint and is MQA capable as well. You're definitely due for an upgrade as there are plenty of better sounding options available.

Hook up an external DAC to a SB Touch and it sounds as good as anything else out there. The sound quality is limited by the DAC.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 20, 2017 1:34 pm 
Dealer/Sponsor

doctor_big wrote:
Everest Audio wrote:

Hook up an external DAC to a SB Touch and it sounds as good as anything else out there. The sound quality is limited by the DAC.

Sorry, but no. Even hooked up to a good DAC, the SB Touch is weak. A friend has one and when he got his Oppo BDP-103, compared head-to-head into his DAC, the Oppo trounced the Touch for streaming sound quality. Then, the Bluesound Node 2 is a step up from the Oppo in terms of sound quality into a DAC. A customer trusted me when I said the Node 2 would easily outperform his Touch going into a DAC, so he bought one. He could believe how much better it was versus the SB Touch.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 20, 2017 1:48 pm 

Everest Audio wrote:
doctor_big wrote:
Everest Audio wrote:

Sorry, but no. Even hooked up to a good DAC, the SB Touch is weak. A friend has one and when he got his Oppo BDP-103, compared head-to-head into his DAC, the Oppo trounced the Touch for streaming sound quality. Then, the Bluesound Node 2 is a step up from the Oppo in terms of sound quality into a DAC. A customer trusted me when I said the Node 2 would easily outperform his Touch going into a DAC, so he bought one. He could believe how much better it was versus the SB Touch.

Of course, it trounced it. How could it not? Compared them head to head! Of course.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 20, 2017 1:58 pm 
Dealer/Sponsor

I'm just telling it like it is. You're free to take my word or leave it. That's fine. Others have experienced the same.

Sent from my SM-G925W8 using Tapatalk

PostPosted: Sun Aug 20, 2017 3:04 pm 

I have a Squeezebox Touch as well and loved it for a long time (it's now a fancy clock because I won't bother selling it lol). I compared the USB and coax outputs on the SBT to my PS Audio DirectStream Jr ethernet input, and while it wasn't a substantial difference it was there. Even the Raspberry Pi3 I use solely for Airplay functionality beat it.

SBT is amazing for how ahead of its time it was. Now, the Pi options have beaten it and offer better flexibility for essentially the same price (or cheaper).

No idea on the Oppo or Bluesound stuff.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 03, 2017 11:07 am 

spacemanr

I had similar anxiety with installing Spotty on the SBT but it turned out to be seamless and easy. mberger, triode and others in the open source community have done much to keep the SBT and Logitech Media Server universe more than just functional. The instructions are pretty straightforward on the LMS slim devices form (pm me if you need any assistance). I am running it with my SBT and with piecoreplayer on a RPi (with a hiberry digi+ board) and is it rock solid.

Steady

PostPosted: Tue Sep 05, 2017 3:59 pm 

Hi Everyone thank you for your input. I am just visiting back to this forum and see there have been lots of good responses!

I am still a little intimidated by the idea of running another piece of hardware with the squeezebox to make it work with Spotify but I will look into it further. Of course sound is the key concern but aesthetics is aIso importnat because my 2 channel system is in our well used family room. I am also considering other options like the Bluesound Node 2 or the Cambridge Audio CXN music player.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 05, 2017 6:04 pm 

Tidal works okay on SB and it streams FLAC!