Canuck Audio Mart Hifi and Audio ForumCanuck Audio Mart Hifi and Audio Forum
It is currently Mon Oct 16, 2017 10:02 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: Re: Roon
PostPosted: Wed Aug 09, 2017 11:18 am 

Foobar and DeadBeef, both free and play hires. Not sure about the DSD abomination. Foobar is easy but DeadBeef requires some techy skills. Some might also like VLC, although it doesn't do hires, not sure if it can play the music industries choice of hook, line and sinker: DSD.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 09, 2017 11:46 am 

milesian wrote:
Is anyone using Roon with the Auralic Aries? I'm trying to figure out how to integrate the native upsampling on the Aries, using the latest beta firmware.

I had an Aries so I might be able to help.

Set the Aries as a Roon endpoint or zone, and in Roon turn off any sampling in the zone setting so that the Aries gets a bit perfect input from Roon.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 09, 2017 1:12 pm 

I consider ROON and TIDAL as the highest value items I have ever purchased in my audio lifetime. As an old school audiophile the revolution in "software" has really changed the way I think about music. The iPad acts as a portal into a new music universe. Optimize the ROON experience with a proper 'endpoint' and 'core' and you are off to the musical races.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 09, 2017 3:06 pm 
Premium User

mrvinyl wrote:
I consider ROON and TIDAL as the highest value items I have ever purchased in my audio lifetime. As an old school audiophile the revolution in "software" has really changed the way I think about music. The iPad acts as a portal into a new music universe. Optimize the ROON experience with a proper 'endpoint' and 'core' and you are off to the musical races.

I agree 100%, I bought the lifetime Roon membership about a month ago. Aside from the amazing user experience, it's also enabled me to experiment with up-sampling and DSD which is proving to be interesting.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 09, 2017 3:22 pm 

I getting ready to build another Intel NUC and put Roon Rock on it.

BTW, what happened to your buyapi with Volumio? :mrgreen:

Or you use on a secondary system?

PostPosted: Wed Aug 30, 2017 8:06 am 

I purchased the lifetime subscription in Dec. 2015, no regrets. Combined with the Tidal hifi subscription, it's a hard combo to beat. Using this software has greatly increased the amount of time spent listening to music and the overall enjoyment of listening to music. Roon regularly updates the software with new features and has active forums where customers/users can participate in providing input and feedback about the product.

I heartily endorse the Roon software and although perhaps a tough pill to swallow in purchasing the lifetime subscription versus the annual subscription you'll save money in the long run. I'd say bite the bullet if you can afford it.
Rick

PostPosted: Wed Aug 30, 2017 10:53 am 

Audio_Guy wrote:
Foobar and DeadBeef, both free and play hires. Not sure about the DSD abomination. Foobar is easy but DeadBeef requires some techy skills. Some might also like VLC, although it doesn't do hires, not sure if it can play the music industries choice of hook, line and sinker: DSD.

Correction, VLC does hires as well on Linux. Hooray!

PostPosted: Mon Sep 04, 2017 2:42 pm 

I dunno. There has to be something amiss with Roon if it needs current generations of intel processors to run to its full capabilities with upsampling. Don’t see why I should have to upgrade an IT system that could send a man to the moon and back just to play music. Currently I have a microrendu runnng happily in Squeezelite mode with IPeng as the iPad controller. My other system with an Auralic Aries purrs nicely with its native Lightning app. I’ll think I’ll give up on Roon.

Decware SE84UFO2 ... Chord 2Qute.... Omega SAM's ... TEO GC Liquid Cables ... Audiosector Integrated... Auralic Aries Femto... Sonore Microrendu... Equi-Core 1200 Power Conditioner ... MCRU LPS... Meridian Explorer2 ... zavfino1877 power cord.

Last edited by milesian on Tue Sep 05, 2017 2:47 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 04, 2017 2:49 pm 

milesian wrote:
I dunno. There has to be something wrong with Roon if it needs the latest generation of intel processor to run properly. Don’t see why I should have to upgrade an IT system that could send a man to the moon and back just to play music. Currently I have a microrendu runnng happily in Squeezelite mode with IPeng as the iPad controller. My other system with an Auralic Aries purrs nicely with its native Lightning app. I’ll think I’ll give up on Roon.

Where do you get Roon requires the latest Intel Processor to run properly? It's requirements are pretty average for modern software

Intel Core i3, Ivy Bridge+
4GB RAM
SSD boot drive
1440 x 900 Resolution

Ivy Bridge is a 5 year old architect

What issues are you experiencing?

PostPosted: Mon Sep 04, 2017 3:00 pm 
Premium User

sthomas1049 wrote:
milesian wrote:
I dunno. There has to be something wrong with Roon if it needs the latest generation of intel processor to run properly. Don’t see why I should have to upgrade an IT system that could send a man to the moon and back just to play music. Currently I have a microrendu runnng happily in Squeezelite mode with IPeng as the iPad controller. My other system with an Auralic Aries purrs nicely with its native Lightning app. I’ll think I’ll give up on Roon.

Where do you get Roon requires the latest Intel Processor to run properly? It's requirements are pretty average for modern software

4GB RAM
SSD boot drive
1440 x 900 Resolution

Roon only requires a fast computer if you want to upsample your music to the highest of rates, or convert to DSD.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 04, 2017 3:11 pm 

electrafixion wrote:
sthomas1049 wrote:
milesian wrote:

4GB RAM
SSD boot drive
1440 x 900 Resolution

Roon only requires a fast computer if you want to upsample your music to the highest of rates, or convert to DSD.

Define a fast computer? It’s specs state “Recommended Hardware” be an Ivy Bridge i3 with only 4gb of ram. My smartphone has more horsepower than that.

Upsampling or even converting to DSD should not require the latest mega core CPU. It does require low latency which is not related (per say) to the speed of the CPU