Canuck Audio Mart Hifi and Audio ForumCanuck Audio Mart Hifi and Audio Forum
It is currently Tue Oct 24, 2017 3:11 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: Roon
PostPosted: Wed Aug 09, 2017 4:05 am 

Into my second day of Auditioning Roon and despite my initial reservations, I am finding myself very impressed Anyone out there taken the plunge with a lifetime membership. Is the experience long lasting?

Decware SE84UFO2... Chord 2Qute... Omega SAM's... TEO GC Liquid Cables... Audiosector Integrated... Auralic Aries Femto... Sonore Microrendu... Equi-Core 1200 Power Conditioner... MCRU LPS... Audioquest Dragonfly Red... Zavfino1877 power cord.

Post subject: Re: Roon
PostPosted: Wed Aug 09, 2017 4:34 am 

I have had the lifetime membership since 2015 and it is the best thing I've done in music playback in years, my favourite item hardware or software. I really enjoy it

PostPosted: Wed Aug 09, 2017 4:48 am 

I had a two month trial earlier in the year and came to the conclusion that Roon is really slick and well thought out. But I just couldn't convince myself to commit to the $500 USD lifetime cost.

In the grand scheme of things, considering what we throw money at in the audio hobby, it probably makes total sense for the investment. I just need to get my head around it. I think for what it does, there is nothing better out there.

My main computer audio software is JRiver and I really like that also but of course does not have anywhere near the depth of metadata management that Roon offers. For library management and simple playback JRiver is fine.

I also have a HQPlayer licence and Roon is the only front end that works seamlessly.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 09, 2017 5:07 am 

I took a three month trial and was addicted. The 500$ is a lot of money but in the long run it's worth it I feel. Especially with a tidal subscription, the music world is your oyster. Now if Roon lasts as a company for at least five years, I won't feel so bad about the lifetime membership.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 09, 2017 5:29 am 

I just loaded core mode up on an optimized Windows 2012 Server laptop, so essentially its running headless. I'm impressed that from my ipad I can switch between local playback on the laptop, or from my Aries streamer. in another room. Since I'm spending almost $500 a year on Spotify, Tidal and Netflix, the Roon lifetime membership doesn't seem excessive. I'll have to consider this seriously.

Decware SE84UFO2... Chord 2Qute... Omega SAM's... TEO GC Liquid Cables... Audiosector Integrated... Auralic Aries Femto... Sonore Microrendu... Equi-Core 1200 Power Conditioner... MCRU LPS... Audioquest Dragonfly Red... Zavfino1877 power cord.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 09, 2017 5:48 am 
Premium User

I purchased a 1 year membership. While it think it is wonderful piece of software I was hoping to utilize hqplayer with it to upsample my dsd files. No such luck - hqplayer is very unfriendly or it was never meant to be used by mere mortals like myself (insert smile).
I have a lampizator dsd only dac.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 09, 2017 5:52 am 

I paid for a year, then at renewal time paid for the lifetime membership, just under Cdn$700. IMHO, Roon (set to play all files and streams converted to DSD) has brought my enjoyment of music to a new level, equally as satisfying as the First Watt F5 amp that I got a year ago.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 09, 2017 7:28 am 

I absolutely love it! And they really listen to customers. I'm still thinking of a lifetime and the dollar has improved slightly. Buy in group of three and it's 10% off for everyone.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 09, 2017 7:45 am 
Premium User

Had it for just over one year and decided it was not worth the price. Great software all the same.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 09, 2017 8:14 am 

larry wrote:
I purchased a 1 year membership. While it think it is wonderful piece of software I was hoping to utilize hqplayer with it to upsample my dsd files. No such luck - hqplayer is very unfriendly or it was never meant to be used by mere mortals like myself (insert smile).
I have a lampizator dsd only dac.

Roon should do this no problem interfacing with HQPlayer. You have to uncheck Direct SDM in DSDIFF/DSF settings in HQP otherwise it will pass through DSD unchanged. Be warned though, this upsampling comes at a heavy resource price. You need powerful hardware for this.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 09, 2017 8:29 am 
Premium User

i am running the system directly through my laptop hp
i5
cpu 2.7
ram 8gb
64 operating system with a solid state hardrive

is that sufficient

it is a dedicated system with no other software on the computer

any help is appreciated

PostPosted: Wed Aug 09, 2017 8:43 am 

larry wrote:
i5
cpu 2.7
ram 8gb

is that sufficient

any help is appreciated

That should be enough to upsample to DSD 256 (not sure about DSD 512---can the Lampi do 512??) but it will also depend on the filter you choose. You will likely need to stay in the poly-sinc family for filter and I used ASDM7 modulator (recommended for high sample rates). "Sinc" asynchronous filters possibly sound better but consume way too much resources.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 09, 2017 9:08 am 

I absolutely love this software.

I've had it for one year and renewed the yearly membership in June. Unfortunately I can't afforded the lifetime membership at $500us. Paying yearly is easier to budget for my house hold. It's still cheaper then my monthly Rogers bill, :lol:

PostPosted: Wed Aug 09, 2017 9:48 am 

larry wrote:
i5
cpu 2.7
ram 8gb

is that sufficient

any help is appreciated

That should be fine. For Roon and HQPlayer to work, you need to set HQ as an output source and then in HQ set your ouptut device that is capable of receiving it (if using it over a network).

MindNoise wrote:
I absolutely love this software.

I've had it for one year and renewed the yearly membership in June. Unfortunately I can't afforded the lifetime membership at $500us. Paying yearly is easier to budget for my house hold. It's still cheaper then my monthly Rogers bill, :lol:

There's a 10% off deal for yearly too if we buy as a group of three.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 09, 2017 10:38 am 

Is anyone using Roon with the Auralic Aries? I'm trying to figure out how to integrate the native upsampling on the Aries, using the latest beta firmware.