Canuck Audio Mart Hifi and Audio ForumCanuck Audio Mart Hifi and Audio Forum
It is currently Wed Oct 18, 2017 1:30 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: Server please
PostPosted: Tue Aug 01, 2017 11:45 am 

I seem to have some technological curse because what should be simple seldom is that way.

I'm so frustrated with computer-source music that I'm thinking of simply chucking it all and instead buying a monkey and teach it to play the tambourine.

It should be simple Mac -> DAC -> Amp -> zSpeakers

I either run iTunes or stream Murfie on Google Chrome.

I've tried Jriver and Audivirna and run into glitches -- can't stream music on Murfie until I fight Audivirna to let go of iTunes and reset the midi.

Or, I want to listen to radio on iTunes and Audivirna won't let me do that either.

So ... is there an idiot-proof server that would let me listen to internet radio, stream from Murfie and play music from iTunes ...

Or some other option?

And the monkey is already shopping for a tambourine...

Post subject: Re: Server please
PostPosted: Tue Aug 01, 2017 12:19 pm 

look into Sonos. it is the most user friendly of any I have seen and will allow you to accomplish all you want. Set up is a breeze, direct it to your wifi and it will find your iTunes library. Control from a computer, tablet or phone.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 01, 2017 12:44 pm 

I was hesitant about streaming music. I purchased a Cambridge 851N and it is simple to use and has a great IPad app. The Cambridge CXN is also very good.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 01, 2017 7:55 pm 

I hear you mber. I am the most technically challenged person you ever met. I'm thinking about going with Audirvana. I'm presently using my Mac, iTunes, usb to a Cord2qute dac. and I'm a happy camper. I've read and been told that computers and iTunes will not give the best results due to computers weren't designed for audio and iTunes is somehow flawed. Personally, I think computers do a pretty nice job at playing tunes and it's funny how many exhibitors use laptops, and desktops for their sources at audio shows (but I guess they don't care about sound quality). I'm quite happy listening to my music through the iMac, MacBook, dac, 50wpc. tube integrated, Mission 770, or Gallo 3.1 downstairs or 45wpc. tube integrated, Duevel Venus upstairs. If anyone can tell me how J.R. River or any other audio site can improve the listening experience I'm willing to read what you have to say and willing to try it.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 02, 2017 4:16 am 
Premium User

I have my music on my mac in itunes <gasp - the horror>,

I use an airplay compatible DAC - a marantz that I purchased here on CAM that I thought was incredibly affordable.

While I do not have any experience in the types of streaming you mention, the marantz is Airplay compatible so using Apple's "Remote" app on my phone/ipad I can airplay stream direct to the Marantz unit. My unit does have streaming features that I do not use.

An apple TV would allow you to stream and using the Toslink/optical out (if they still have that feature - stupid apple) you can send to a DAC that isn't airplay compatible.

I am fully aware that there are higher fidelity options and I have no idea what your expectations are, however this is a simple no nonsense solution for me that I enjoy.

Good luck in your quest!

Mike

PostPosted: Wed Aug 02, 2017 5:15 am 

mber wrote:
I seem to have some technological curse because what should be simple seldom is that way.

I'm so frustrated with computer-source music that I'm thinking of simply chucking it all and instead buying a monkey and teach it to play the tambourine.

It should be simple Mac -> DAC -> Amp -> zSpeakers

I either run iTunes or stream Murfie on Google Chrome.

I've tried Jriver and Audivirna and run into glitches -- can't stream music on Murfie until I fight Audivirna to let go of iTunes and reset the midi.

Or, I want to listen to radio on iTunes and Audivirna won't let me do that either.

So ... is there an idiot-proof server that would let me listen to internet radio, stream from Murfie and play music from iTunes ...

Or some other option?

And the monkey is already shopping for a tambourine...

Brother, if there is anyone here that can sympathize with you, it's me. I have found computer related audio a mind boggling struggle. Nothing about it is easy and like you I've frequently wanted to chuck it all.
That said, you've come to the right place. Many of the people here have forgot more than I'll ever know.
The great part is they are willing to share their knowledge. I'm constantly reading and re-reading threads to glean more information.
Stick with it. You will get frustrated, you will make mistakes, you will learn.
When it all goes south, take a deep breath, grab a cold drink, put on some music that takes you to your happy place and try again.
Above all else don't be afraid to ask questions. The guys here aren't short on opinions or knowledge. Hell, I'd be happy to share my thimble full of knowledge. :lol:

PostPosted: Wed Aug 02, 2017 6:03 am 

Jut read an article where the author states that in two years you won't need to buy an expensive server ( yeah they're all expensive ) as you'll be able to do it from your smartphone. I'd wait and just live with what you have for now.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 02, 2017 6:15 am 

japon wrote:
Jut read an article where the author states that in two years you won't need to buy an expensive server ( yeah they're all expensive ) as you'll be able to do it from your smartphone. I'd wait and just live with what you have for now.

we have been there for years

PostPosted: Wed Aug 02, 2017 6:50 am 

I realize this doesn't solve all of the problems of the OP, but about 1-2 years ago I ripped my whole CD library to FLAC and WAV, put them on a 4TB hard drive, connected it by USB to my Oppo BDP-103, ran an HDMI from HDMI2 to a 24" computer monitor and a coax cable to my AV preamp. I couldn't ask for better.

Now I just turn on the player and I have my whole collection at my fingertips, easy-peasy.

But it won't support streaming. That does not matter to me, as any music I like I purchase hirez files and add them to my hard drive.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 11, 2017 7:50 am 

Thank you for the support and suggestions!

I finally managed to get my Mac mini to work headless and can play iTunes okay. Nothing else.

It's not a perfect solution but it's likely better than throwing it all out the window and buying a Bose Wave -- even the monkey threatened to take his tambourine and leave if I did that.

Question: I have iTunes remote and it works. I keep reading about another 'remote' that would allow me to operate my computer from my iPhone ... any links/resources/how-to's that would let me set that up?

Cheers!

PostPosted: Fri Aug 11, 2017 8:22 am 

L-Man wrote:
But it won't support streaming. That does not matter to me, as any music I like I purchase hirez files and add them to my hard drive.

The BDP-103 will stream from a network drive.

mber wrote:
Question: I have iTunes remote and it works. I keep reading about another 'remote' that would allow me to operate my computer from my iPhone ... any links/resources/how-to's that would let me set that up?

Cheers!

I use Team Viewer
https://www.teamviewer.com/en/download/ios/

Install the app on your phone (Ios and andriod)
And install it on the Mac.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 11, 2017 8:49 am 

I use Sonos too , i have tried many music streamer under $1000.00 and for me the Sonos is surpassing my expectation , and VERY userfriendly

:P :P

PostPosted: Fri Aug 11, 2017 9:19 am 

Auralic Aries, either the Mini or the full version. The mini has the advantage of a built in ESS DAC.

Decware SE84UFO2 ... Chord 2Qute.... Omega SAM's ... TEO GC Liquid Cables ... Audiosector Integrated... Auralic Aries Femto... Sonore Microrendu... Equi-Core 1200 Power Conditioner ... MCRU LPS... Meridian Explorer2 ... zavfino1877 power cord.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 11, 2017 1:41 pm 

Jared Rachwalski wrote:
L-Man wrote:

The BDP-103 will stream from a network drive.

I meant Internet streaming (Spotify).

PostPosted: Fri Sep 01, 2017 12:20 pm 

mber wrote:
Thank you for the support and suggestions!

I finally managed to get my Mac mini to work headless and can play iTunes okay. Nothing else.

It's not a perfect solution but it's likely better than throwing it all out the window and buying a Bose Wave -- even the monkey threatened to take his tambourine and leave if I did that.

Cheers!

Get your mac mini...load the trial version of Audirvana 3+. No need to download any driver and if you are unsure of the settings...pls PM me.
Plug in your harddisk into the usb port behind yr macmini.
Set your Audirvana 3+ to launch as you turn on yr mac mini (i never turn it off...i just put it on sleep mode)
To achieve better sound, change the internal harddisk to SSD and upgrade your ram to at least 8gb.
USB cable does matter and contary to what many believe, a good usb cable is important.
Of course, you have to plug it into a good dac...to sound good.
For ripping files from cd, dbpoweramp is a good software and rip it uncompressed to wav or aif.