Canuck Audio Mart Hifi and Audio ForumCanuck Audio Mart Hifi and Audio Forum
It is currently Sat Dec 16, 2017 2:44 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

PostPosted: Fri Jul 14, 2017 1:08 pm 

I've just started getting back into building computers again after a long 6 yr abstinence, due to personal reasons..
My last build was an i7 2600K, Asus P8P67 Pro MB, Crossfire AMD 6950's' 16GB Kingston DDR3 with an Creative SB X-FI Titanium HD card, Speakers are still Logitech Z-5500 5.1,
so now my question is the new onboard sound using the 8-channel ALC S1220 Realtek chip Supreme FX, going to be better than my Sound card?
Is it worth it to upgrade to a better sound card?, I only listen a little music while surfing the web..
My new build is going to be i7 7700K, Asus Maximus IX Hero MB, Samsung 960 EVO NVMe m.2 500GB, 32GB G.Skill 3200 RGB memory, EVGA GTX 1070 FTW, Corsair H115i AIO water cooling..
Thanks

Last edited by Jhayman on Fri Jul 14, 2017 1:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 14, 2017 1:09 pm 
Premium User

Just get any affordable USB DAC

PostPosted: Fri Jul 14, 2017 1:11 pm 

Thanks James, you mean like a Dragonfly or something like that?
any recommendations?

James_W wrote:
Just get any USB DAC

PostPosted: Fri Jul 14, 2017 1:19 pm 
Premium User

Schiit Modi 2 is great if this is your first USB DAC. I was blown away by the Dragonfly Red for the price and it was plug and play with no issues. I used one in my main rig while waiting for a new DAC to arrive.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 14, 2017 1:28 pm 

My first usb DAC, no experience whatsoever, Thanks i'll check a couple.

James_W wrote:
Schiit Modi 2 is great if this is your first USB DAC. I was blown away by the Dragonfly Red for the price and it was plug and play with no issues. I used one in my main rig while waiting for a new DAC to arrive.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 14, 2017 2:04 pm 

Depends on your dac but I would say yes, a Lynx card is fully warranted.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 14, 2017 2:26 pm 

James_W wrote:
Just get any affordable USB DAC

+1
Nuprime uDSD is fantastic and is only $250

PostPosted: Fri Jul 14, 2017 2:37 pm 

I think that if you are only listening to music lightly and not too critically... Then, you are better off spending the money elsewhere...

PostPosted: Fri Jul 14, 2017 4:15 pm 

Also good to keep the computer build as quiet as possible if you plan to listen to music in the same room. Or use closed headphones instead of speakers.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 14, 2017 6:56 pm 

If you're surfing the web then you're not doing critical listening, so I would say no, you don't need a dedicated sound card.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 14, 2017 7:28 pm 

I'd say not worth it in your case, for light use the onboard audio of a ROG board will be more than enough IMO.
I am actually pretty satisfied with the onboard audio of my Maximus IV Gene-Z.

Nowadays unless you're buying at the total bottom end, motherboard manufacturers tend to put more emphasis on the onboard audio quality as gamers are pretty big headphones users.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 19, 2017 3:56 am 

Personally I feel the Logitech speakers will be your weakest link in terms of fidelity. If your intent is to use them all the time, be it music or gaming, then I’d say it will be difficult to determine if the Sound Blaster is better or not. In this case, stick with the onboard. You also need to consider driver support. Creative has not released an updated driver for the X-Fi Titanium in over a year. Not saying this will pose a problem but it is certainly something to keep in mind.

But considering you already have the SB, try it out and draw your own conclusion. Just ensure you use one of the PCIe x1 slots (the smaller slot). Although it is not stated in the Asus manual, M.2 storage in PCIe mode will utilize 4 PCIe lanes from the CPU limiting your GPU to only 8 lanes (this will not affect performance). Plugging another device into a x16 slot will drop your GPU down to only 4 lanes which will affect performance. The x1 slots are handled by the motherboards South Bridge so you should not have any issues. Note - you also need to consider the above if adding another GPU in the future. That CPU only has 16 lanes to offer!

I’m going to assume you will also be using this machine for gaming? If so, I’d invest in a decent headphone and separate DAC/Headphone amp. The experience is just so much better than your run of the mill computer speakers.

It’s a bizarre time to be building a new computer. AMD has finally come out of their slump and taking the fight to Intel. And if the rumors are true, AMD’s upcoming Threadripper will be taking back the crown they once owned as the King of consumer CPU’s!

PostPosted: Wed Jul 19, 2017 4:42 am 

I have no interest in using my computer for anything more than background music, so I bought a Topping VX1 here on CAM for fifty bucks. There were no drivers required, I just connected it and it worked. It has a USB input and one line-level analog input (for the Sony ST-80F tuner), and it powers on in USB mode when the PC starts up. With a pair of Realistic Minimus 7W speakers (with modified and recapped crossovers) and a Yamaha subwoofer, it is all I need for my computer ... and it sounds pretty good for the money I have into it. The Topping can also be used as a headphone amp, but I haven't used it that way.

Attachments:
P1020629.JPG
P1020629.JPG [ 225.54 KiB | Viewed 1144 times ]

If you can use one of those newfangled Internets, you can post photos in your damn classified ads. :roll:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 19, 2017 5:09 am 

If you're getting a premium Mobo anyway, the Gigabyte gaming 5 and 7 have ESS chips built in now and some have real single ended RCA and dual optical outputs.

I was looking at one of these myself for an editing rig, but will likely get one of the X370 Ryzen mobos. Intel has gotten stupid for productivity use. The mobos are still a little nicer it seems, but double the money.

Are you just looking for single core performance? I would suggest if you put a M.2 in any Ryzen build with an RX570 you'd still have glorious overkill for surfing the web while listening to music. You'd also save about $400-600 for a DAC/speakers. Not to get off topic or get into AMD vs Intel wars.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 19, 2017 5:23 am 

I'm not an expert but I use an Asus xonar st sound card and for the money (around $200) the sound is pretty good with a very good headphone out.

https://www.stereophile.com/computeraud ... index.html
cheers