Canuck Audio Mart Hifi and Audio ForumCanuck Audio Mart Hifi and Audio Forum
It is currently Mon Oct 23, 2017 4:25 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

PostPosted: Mon Jul 10, 2017 12:19 pm 

I see quite a few of the earlier Bryston streamers for sale and I'm wondering if one would constitute a noticeable upgrade from the SB Touch I'm currently using. I don't use the DAC section in the Touch (streams only) so really just trying to get a handle on whether the Bryson would be worth considering for better sonics?

PostPosted: Mon Jul 10, 2017 2:15 pm 

I've been meaning to try the Bryston myself. Both measured very well in the Stereophile reviews, so I have the same question. Even more interesting would be the Bryston vs Transporter. The Bryston does support 192kHz straight out of the box, if that is important. Of course the Touch also can with the EDO mod, but who knows how long that will be available. The Transporter can't.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 10, 2017 2:41 pm 

I used a Touch for many years, with various dacs, marvellous invention. I eventually had the same question as you guys, so I went with an Auraliti pk100 and immediately heard the sound improvement.( that unit is based upon the bdp1) from there went to an auralic aeries, again, a nice step up. From there went to a bdp2, another small improvement. I have the bdp2 connected to a bricasti M1 dac, and since then, my turntable has gathered a lot of dust. So, in my system, the answer is a resounding yes, I would definitely go that direction if that is what you are pondering. Hope this info adds some clarity.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 10, 2017 3:14 pm 

I've never heard the SB but I had a Marantz NA7004 streamer feeding the DAC in my Supernova and thought it sounded great. At that time I had Bryston BP-26 / 2.5 Bsst2 combo so I ordered up a BDP-1 just so it would all match. I didn't really expect a change in sound as it's just ones and zeros so I was pleasantly surprised when there was a noticeable improvement. I've since bought a Cambridge Audio CXN for the bedroom system and a CXU for the TV setup. Both sound better than the Marantz but are still no match for the Bryston. I think it's a very nice player.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 10, 2017 4:55 pm 

I don't really want to hijack this thread, as I'm interested in the Squeeze box alternatives, but I do need to ask one side question:

Do you run only a single streamer, or multiple? The reason I ask is that I run multiple... I've got a touch in the bedroom, transporters in both the music and tv rooms, and SB3's in the workshop and in the shed, so five in total. The way that I can sync multiple units to play the same stream, or isolate them all playing different streams, is a huge plus to me, and one of the reasons I'm reluctant to move away from what I still regard as one of the best streaming solutions out there. I'm still unhappy that Logitech bought and then killed, a great product line....

PostPosted: Mon Jul 10, 2017 5:21 pm 

dcrooks wrote:
I don't really want to hijack this thread, as I'm interested in the Squeeze box alternatives, but I do need to ask one side question:

Do you run only a single streamer, or multiple? The reason I ask is that I run multiple... I've got a touch in the bedroom, transporters in both the music and tv rooms, and SB3's in the workshop and in the shed, so five in total. The way that I can sync multiple units to play the same stream, or isolate them all playing different streams, is a huge plus to me, and one of the reasons I'm reluctant to move away from what I still regard as one of the best streaming solutions out there. I'm still unhappy that Logitech bought and then killed, a great product line....

Logitech did do a great service by allowing Logitech Media Server for be available for free.

The thing to keep in mind is that many high end streamers are just glorified Vortexboxes, which comes with Squeezelite, - Aurender, Bryston, Musical Fidelity etc etc etc. I even use the Musical Fidelity app to play from my Android tablet and control my Touch. Remember the Touch is just a specialized Linux computer. Archimago has put together a particularly slick Raspberry Pi version:

http://archimago.blogspot.ca/2017/05/me ... music.html

In other words, many of these devices aren't Squeezebox alternatives, they are in fact Squeezeboxes.

If you want to upgrade one device and keep the rest, they should all work. I'm not sure if there will be synch issues though, as I don't play all my devices at the same time.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 10, 2017 6:22 pm 

riffer wrote:
Logitech did do a great service by allowing Logitech Media Server for be available for free.

I agree, the fact that Logitech continued to allow LMS to be distributed for free was a great thing, although it could be argued that as an open source platform (as it was under Slim Devices) it would have made it hard to close the barn door :wink: . Add the fact that people are still coding software, and building hardware, that can support the platform, shows what a great foundation was laid!

But I still think that people a lot of people are missing one of the great strengths of this type of streaming platform. A central distribution of all your music, to everybody under your roof! My wife can listen to folk in the bedroom, while I'm listening to hard rock in the woodworking shop, while our daughter is listening to jazz in the music room. or when we have a party, the two main floor systems are synced, and playing the same music for easy moving about. Having a small, inexpensive, linux brick, that you can plug into any stereo in the house, and have full access to all your digital music, still stands as a terrific idea.

/end rant/
Cheers, Dave

PostPosted: Tue Jul 11, 2017 1:59 am 

dcrooks wrote:

I'm in a similar situation with three SB devices that are all able to be controlled independently with tables/phones. Like you, it is a major consideration if I decide to move to another platform as I really love the convenience. Ideally I'd like to find a way to integrate the new device into the existing system though that may not be possible. Thanks for the responses so far guys.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 11, 2017 8:41 am 

I can't speak for Squeezebox users, but I upgraded from a Sonos to a used BDP1 a couple a years ago. Both the Sonos and the Bryston were connected to same Rega DAC.

I found the difference between the two sources to be substantial. The BDP1 is in a completely different league in terms of sonics.....much better dynamics and detail (with the same 16/44 FLAC source files). It turned me into a believer that the quality of the digital source indeed plays an important role in the playback chain.

I suspect that the quality of the BDP1's power supply plays a big role....that and fact that Bryston designed/spec'd everything so there would be no compromise to sound quality via noise, jitter, etc.

At the time, I could have not have built a PC-based streamer of the same quality for what it cost me to purchase my BDP1.

If you don't need DSD or USB output connectivity, I think used BDP1's remain an excellent value.

Having said that, if I was in the market now, I'd probably look at the BDP2....for their increased processing power and upgrade-ability.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 11, 2017 11:03 am 
Premium User

In terms of the power supply, maybe, but not necessarily. I've had both a BDP-1 and a Simaudio 180 Mind that plugs in with a wall wart, and found the quality of Bryston and Simaudio to be almost identical, SQ wise. The difference was in inputs and software adn control app.

selkirk wrote:
I can't speak for Squeezebox users, but I upgraded from a Sonos to a used BDP1 a couple a years ago. Both the Sonos and the Bryston were connected to same Rega DAC.

I found the difference between the two sources to be substantial. The BDP1 is in a completely different league in terms of sonics.....much better dynamics and detail (with the same 16/44 FLAC source files). It turned me into a believer that the quality of the digital source indeed plays an important role in the playback chain.

I suspect that the quality of the BDP1's power supply plays a big role....that and fact that Bryston designed/spec'd everything so there would be no compromise to sound quality via noise, jitter, etc.

At the time, I could have not have built a PC-based streamer of the same quality for what it cost me to purchase my BDP1.

If you don't need DSD or USB output connectivity, I think used BDP1's remain an excellent value.

Having said that, if I was in the market now, I'd probably look at the BDP2....for their increased processing power and upgrade-ability.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 16, 2017 1:38 pm 

Went from Squeezebox Touch to full Auralic Aries and have no regrets!