Canuck Audio Mart Hifi and Audio ForumCanuck Audio Mart Hifi and Audio Forum
It is currently Fri Oct 20, 2017 10:53 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours




Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 33 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Author Message
PostPosted: Sat May 06, 2017 12:06 pm 
Offline

Joined: Sat Sep 06, 2014 10:16 am
Posts: 125
Location: london, ON, CA
If I was on Windows, I'd probably stick with JRiver. On the Mac, I think Audirvana is a bit better. While I don't mind paying for decent software, I agree that Roon is on the expensive side. That $119 is per year. If you want to get even more expensive, you can use HQPlayer as the backend with Roon.

As for sound quality, I don't agree that there is no difference at all. It's not a huge difference, but it's there. The new version of Audirvana has improvements to the upsampling and antialiasing system that renders detail a bit better. Transients in particular are noticeably faster and more distinct, in my opinion. Some people find it a bit too detailed, though, like an image that has been oversharpened in Photoshop, to draw a parallel.

Sound quality between music players is a touchy subject, though, ranging from the folks at Computer Audiophile who hear things I don't hear, to the folks at Hydrogen Audio who want to argue that nobody can hear any difference from any file over 96kbps mp3s. Reality is probably somewhere in between. I think everyone should decide this one for himself.


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
PostPosted: Sat May 06, 2017 12:17 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Sun Feb 13, 2011 4:28 pm
Posts: 302
Location: Newmarket, ON, CA
Lethargy wrote:
Sound quality between music players is a touchy subject, though, ranging from the folks at Computer Audiophile who hear things I don't hear, to the folks at Hydrogen Audio who want to argue that nobody can hear any difference from any file over 96kbps mp3s. Reality is probably somewhere in between. I think everyone should decide this one for himself.


There you go! Spoiling a perfectly brewing keyboard fight with some common sense and a little logic! Geez. I'm going to get off the computer now and go play with the dogs.

_________________
Those people who think they know everything are a great annoyance to those of us who do.


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
PostPosted: Sat May 06, 2017 12:22 pm 
Offline

Joined: Sun Nov 11, 2012 2:18 pm
Posts: 276
Location: Sooke, BC, CA
MV87 wrote:
David P wrote:
I've tried Roon to see what the fuss was about and as a way to control Tidal via my iPad. I didn't notice any difference in sound quality over JRiver but I didn't really care for it and didn't see it as a particularly good value for me. I went back to JRiver and a JRemote app on my iPad.
I consider the $50 I spent on JRiver to be some of the highest cost/convenience/ enjoyment value dollars I've spent. Sucker? Nah, that's the guy diddling around trying to get his freeware to work while I'm enjoying my music lol!


Literally would take any competent person less than 10 minutes. The feeling of superiority is unbecoming. It's nearly as bad as head-fi.

I think I'll see myself out.


MV87 don't leave ! We need you. True geeks use Deadbeef on Linux and would never pay for any sort of software. Deadbeef is truly bit perfect and user configurable to the point where you get the source code. Spock would love it. I tried Foobar on windows 7 and it was pretty cool. This stuff is definitely not for the "audiophile fuses" and "boutique power cables" crowd.


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
PostPosted: Sat May 06, 2017 12:27 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Thu Mar 10, 2016 8:20 am
Posts: 142
Location: Ottawa, ON, CA
Lethargy wrote:
Got Hi-Fi wrote:

Thanks much for all that info! .. Looks like I am on the right track with Audirvana. Maybe I should just keep it and not bother wasting time with the rest.


It's what I've settled on, although it's not perfect. Roon and HQPlayer seem to be favoured by people who need networking. I honestly don't know anything about that. I'm just using this in my home office. Lots of people seem to like Audirvana's Ipad remote, although that's another 14 bucks. On the whole, I guess I'm in the school of thought that it's worth a few bucks to have a player that does what you want with an interface you can live with.


I do have the iPad remote and it works very well, does exactly what I want it to.

-- 06 May 2017 15:29 --

Yiorgos wrote:
Ok,I am not a tech savvy personally so I will gladly pay 50 bucks (money that really only buys you coffee and muffins for two,at an upscale coffee place in Toronto now at days) for a ready to use out of the box music player that sounds awesome . Oh by the way,the title of this thread is JRiver/Roon or Audionirvana. I take this to mean that the author is not interested in trying any other freeware music players including Foobar 2000.
All the best
George


Exactly.

-- 06 May 2017 15:33 --

NordicNorm wrote:
I've never tried out any of the newer entries like Roon so I can't help you there. The $119 price tag for Roon always put me off for some reason.

I've been called a cheap bastard before (although I prefer to think of myself as a 'frugal audiophile').


and that $119 is a yearly fee, it's $500 to buy a permanent license for Roon. Audirvana is only $100 in comparison, and I guess (going by this thread) JRiver is $50.

_________________
Got Hi-Fi?


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
PostPosted: Sat May 06, 2017 12:56 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Sun Jul 18, 2004 7:43 pm
Posts: 1375
Location: Toronto, ON, CA
Op, you could always download and try JRiver for free for 30 days I think, then decide if you like it or not.

I do use JRiver occasionally now & then on a windows mini PC, but I spend more time listening to music via Raspberry Pi 3 using Volumio and MoodAudio.

So use whatever you like and just enjoy the music. :)


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
PostPosted: Sat May 06, 2017 1:14 pm 
Offline

Joined: Sat Sep 06, 2014 10:16 am
Posts: 125
Location: london, ON, CA
Audio_Guy wrote:
MV87 wrote:
MV87 don't leave ! We need you. True geeks use Deadbeef on Linux and would never pay for any sort of software.


There's actually JRiver for Linux as well. You can get all three platforms with the "Master's License".

I hear what you're saying about the Linux way, though. I used Linux full time on the desktop for about five years. That was while I was working in an office full of Macs and, as the only reasonably "tech savvy" person in the place, was the poor bastard who got stuck keeping them running. Linux at home was a nice break from the Macs at work. Even then, though, I never minded paying for software if it was well written. Developers gotta eat too, and most of the people who work on open source stuff depend on commercial stuff to earn a living.

That's enough FOSS versus the world for me today, though. To me it's about how well the interface works for me, and how it sounds. On the Mac, I've found Audirvana to be the best compromise, but I can see how others might feel differently.


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
PostPosted: Sat May 06, 2017 2:38 pm 
Offline

Joined: Tue Aug 23, 2005 12:20 pm
Posts: 2223
Location: Toronto, ON, CA
Audirvana Plus also has a trial period so you can install it, test it and decide if you want to stick with it. If you do stick with it you can also get a 3 months free "HiFi" Tidal subscription (I think... I got it last year and I already forgot how long the Tidal trial period was).

The latest 3.x version do have its problems/bugs and you can get the details on other forums such as the Computer Audiophile. Generally speaking it is still a great product on the MacOS platform IMHO esp. SQ wise. And the guy behind it did churn out fixes ASAP for bug fixes. I run it on a headless MacMini with the $14 iPhone/iPad remote control app and I am quite happy with what I get.


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
PostPosted: Sat May 06, 2017 7:37 pm 
Offline

Joined: Tue Oct 04, 2005 3:56 pm
Posts: 1149
Location: Markham, ON, CA
I'm on Mac so Audirvana it is. Been using it a few years now and loving every moment of it.

Like everyone, I started off don't like the idea of paying for software but since getting to know the developer and understanding the work he's done man that $100 is well worth it.


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
PostPosted: Sun May 07, 2017 3:08 am 
Offline

Joined: Fri Feb 08, 2013 12:17 pm
Posts: 736
Location: Riverview, NB, CA
I didn't mean to chase anyone out the door. I was having fun pointing out the other side of the argument. I understand not wanting to pay for a music management program when you can find free programs on the net. However, there are a lot of guys like me who want to try integrating computer based audio into their systems and lives but are not particularly computer savvy. For guys like me, who looked into Foobar and Media Monkey and found it non intuitive and confusing, JRiver seems like a reasonable way to spend $50. I wasn't interested in frigging around with a computer program- I just wanted it to work and $50 is the price of a LP or, apparently, a fancy fuse. It seemed a good value to me.


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
PostPosted: Sun May 07, 2017 3:40 am 
Offline

Joined: Sat Sep 06, 2014 10:16 am
Posts: 125
Location: london, ON, CA
David P wrote:
I didn't mean to chase anyone out the door. I was having fun pointing out the other side of the argument. I understand not wanting to pay for a music management program when you can find free programs on the net. However, there are a lot of guys like me who want to try integrating computer based audio into their systems and lives but are not particularly computer savvy. For guys like me, who looked into Foobar and Media Monkey and found it non intuitive and confusing, JRiver seems like a reasonable way to spend $50. I wasn't interested in frigging around with a computer program- I just wanted it to work and $50 is the price of a LP or, apparently, a fancy fuse. It seemed a good value to me.


I don't think anyone had that impression. I think your post was a perfectly calm and reasonable response to the poster who not so subtly implied that anyone who doesn't use Foobar must be stupid, lazy or lacking in technical ability. The reality is that, like so many open source projects, Foobar's interface leaves a lot to be desired. To me, if you have to be "tech savvy" to use a music player, the people who made the music player screwed up royally.

Having said that, Audirvana's interface could use some serious work, but that doesn't seem to be a priority for the developer. Not surprisingly, Audirvana started as an open source project, and its roots are still showing.


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
PostPosted: Sun May 07, 2017 3:44 am 
Offline

Joined: Sun Apr 10, 2016 6:21 am
Posts: 12
Location: Ottawa, ON, CA
In defence of Roon :)
I'm on a mac and have been running the Roon trial for about a month now (got a 30 day coupon) and like it quite a bit. To the point that i'd probably pay for it at the end.
Here are my top 5 reasons why:

1) Its considerably better than iTunes (no surprise there).

2) I don't have a huge local library, so most of my music consumption comes from Tidal and I really like the Tidal integration that Roon has.

3) It sounds considerably better than the Tidal app (at least to my ears), and its nice to have access to my higher res files.

4) In comparison to the others (I've tried Audirvana and JRiver briefly) it does look considerably more beautiful (that kind of thing matters to me).

5) Its much simpler to use overall (I find). And I really like the Roon remote app for iOS.


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
PostPosted: Sun May 07, 2017 6:50 am 
Offline

Joined: Sun Nov 11, 2012 2:18 pm
Posts: 276
Location: Sooke, BC, CA
Lethargy wrote:
David P wrote:
I didn't mean to chase anyone out the door. I was having fun pointing out the other side of the argument. I understand not wanting to pay for a music management program when you can find free programs on the net. However, there are a lot of guys like me who want to try integrating computer based audio into their systems and lives but are not particularly computer savvy. For guys like me, who looked into Foobar and Media Monkey and found it non intuitive and confusing, JRiver seems like a reasonable way to spend $50. I wasn't interested in frigging around with a computer program- I just wanted it to work and $50 is the price of a LP or, apparently, a fancy fuse. It seemed a good value to me.


I don't think anyone had that impression. I think your post was a perfectly calm and reasonable response to the poster who not so subtly implied that anyone who doesn't use Foobar must be stupid, lazy or lacking in technical ability. The reality is that, like so many open source projects, Foobar's interface leaves a lot to be desired. To me, if you have to be "tech savvy" to use a music player, the people who made the music player screwed up royally.

Having said that, Audirvana's interface could use some serious work, but that doesn't seem to be a priority for the developer. Not surprisingly, Audirvana started as an open source project, and its roots are still showing.


There is lots of room for everyone in this hobby. Technical skill sets may come in all shapes and sizes, but all of us benefit from music in our lives.


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
PostPosted: Mon May 08, 2017 8:55 am 
Offline

Joined: Tue Sep 25, 2012 1:54 pm
Posts: 295
Location: Edmonton, AB, CA
I used to use Foobar2000 for a long time, a really long time. Then a year or so ago I decided to try JRiver and see what the fuss was about. At first, I didn't like it. It wasn't familiar and overall it just didn't seem like it was that great. The thing I did like about it was obtaining metadata and also using JRemote on my iPad, along with ease of plugins and such. One thing I didn't like, is that it remotely controlled the volume on my amp and blew my speakers by accident! Eventually I liked the prettier interface and network integration so I caved.

As of recently, my PS Audio DAC/Streamer hates JRiver, just doesn't want to make a solid connection with it and it was 90% solid with the Auralic Aries but that 10% was enough to bug me. It's really unfortunate since I've paid for a bunch of stuff and was finally familiar!

So I decided to try Roon. This was another paid program that I was REALLY put off by because of the cost, and really didn't understand what the heck it actually did. As with everything, that changed with experience. It's rock solid, integrates perfectly, has great descriptions of what's happening with the sound along the way, how it catalogs and ALSO, finding new music with Tidal. Overall I find the features, support and SQ fantastic, and decided to get a yearly membership. I was hoping more CAMers would be onboard to get a Lifetime membership with a 10% discount but sadly that didn't pan out.


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
PostPosted: Sun May 14, 2017 5:56 pm 
Offline

Joined: Sun May 14, 2017 2:07 pm
Posts: 20
Location: Saskatoon, SK, CA
Some great discussion in here guys, thanks for sharing your thoughts.

JRiver sounds like it's a pretty popular player setup. I plan on demoing a few to get a sense of the UXs before settling in. A couple have been mentioned inthread (Roon, Audirvana, Foobar).

Any others that are missing? The use case I'm looking at is parking a server on a NAS (QNAP) and having several remote apps on iOS, Android, and Window, both on home LAN and external via internet.

Edit: my tags and metadata are not consistent after years of sporadic ripping bees, and I haven't done a mass re-tag. Someone mentioned an app called something puddle that I'll maybe check out as a way to take a pass through my inconsistent tag architecture.


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
PostPosted: Sun May 14, 2017 7:04 pm 
Offline

Joined: Tue Dec 21, 2004 10:30 pm
Posts: 94
Location: Victoria, BC, CA
If on Windows ... take a look at MusicBee - very flexible, free and has its own wiki for setup . Great skins, tagging tools and ripper built i n
https://getmusicbee.com oh also free


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 33 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

All times are UTC - 8 hours


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
cron
Powered by phpBB® Forum Software © phpBB Group