Canuck Audio Mart Hifi and Audio ForumCanuck Audio Mart Hifi and Audio Forum
It is currently Sat Oct 21, 2017 6:03 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: Re: Roon Groupbuy
PostPosted: Mon May 15, 2017 1:02 pm 

Looks pretty cool but a killer is that it cannot run on my QNAP NAS without some deep sorcery. I suppose it would run happily on a Windows PC just using the NAS as a data source, but I'd like to run straight up native on the NAS.

PostPosted: Mon May 15, 2017 1:36 pm 
Premium User

Interesting stats restock. The last 2 albums I bought were from Bandcamp and it is nice to see the artist gets a pretty good cut.

I used Roon for a year but did not renew. In my situation it really wasn't worth the yearly cost and I would never outright pay that much for software in the ever changing world of digital audio playback.

PostPosted: Mon May 15, 2017 2:51 pm 

ToddSecksington wrote:
Looks pretty cool but a killer is that it cannot run on my QNAP NAS without some deep sorcery. I suppose it would run happily on a Windows PC just using the NAS as a data source, but I'd like to run straight up native on the NAS.

Run it on a raspberry pi and point it to your Nas for music. As a bonus you can run a player on the same pi.

PostPosted: Mon May 15, 2017 3:53 pm 

doctor_big wrote:
ToddSecksington wrote:

Run it on a raspberry pi and point it to your Nas for music. As a bonus you can run a player on the same pi.

Yeah have seen that lots of guys are running rPis. I don't have one. Hopefully I can find a good server app that will have multi platform clients.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

PostPosted: Mon May 15, 2017 9:17 pm 

Is anyone still interested in a Lifetime membership?

PostPosted: Tue Sep 26, 2017 12:28 pm 

I am planning to buy a lifetime membership sometime in the next few weeks. Do there happen to be two others that want to join? We could all get 10% off.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 26, 2017 2:06 pm 

I looked at Roon a while back....when Bryston started to support it on their BDP series players. Considering the investment required, I ultimately decided that I could live with my MPD-based setup.

My biggest concern with the lifetime subscription option is the uncertainty as to how long Roon will actually exist in its present form. Software companies (particularly smaller/specialized entities) are merged, acquired, or otherwise change their business model so frequently that I would would really question the value of a long term subscription. It will take several years to pay back the lifetime option. If a decision is made down the road to discontinue support for a purely subscription-based product, where does that leave the user who plunked down all that coin?

I not implying that Roon represents a bad product or company....but I doubt they have the stability of Microsoft or Adobe either.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 27, 2017 11:11 am 

ToddSecksington wrote:

https://www.qnap.com/solution/container_station/en/

If you can run docker on it, I'm pretty sure there's a docker image for Roon kicking around which would get you set up in minutes.

-- 27 Sep 2017 20:16 --

James_W wrote:
Interesting stats restock. The last 2 albums I bought were from Bandcamp and it is nice to see the artist gets a pretty good cut.

Why do you think bandcamp is the only way I've found to purchase music that doesn't leave me with a dirty, disgusting feeling inside? ;3

It pains me to see how little artists get.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 27, 2017 11:51 am 

Roon is cool and all, but it was fiddly and crashy in my UX trials and I can't rationalize the expense.

For a guy that wants to do the audiophile thing and have a Ferrari rig in their home, give 'er. For my needs, it fell down.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 27, 2017 1:38 pm 

FWIW, I'm much more of a Honda Civic than Ferrari guy! I was extremely skeptical of Roon, given the pricing. However, I've discovered that Roon does a few things much better than any other software (that I've used anyway): (1) its Tidal integration is perfect, (2) its Sonore and Sonos integration is fantastic, (3) its metadata has led me to discover lots of new music, (4) I've used its DSP and upsampling to great effect.

$500 us is a huge amount, especially given that other music players can be had for $0! However, after having lived with Roon for a year, than without it for a few months, I've come to see that--for me, anyway--it is worth it. I'm not expecting to convince the skeptics. I just wanted to report, as a former skeptic, that I've come to judge the cost worthwhile.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 28, 2017 4:41 am 

You're buying the metadata pretty much. Their interface is surprisingly great too but if I remember, it had the problem of being light instead of dark which is a huge turn off.
Their DSP is nothing special and easily bested by other players see: JRiver + high quality mastering DSP plugins (I use Waves in a VST wrapper, it's not compatible with UAD hardware tho :l ) . I liked HQPlayer's upsampling / filters alot however and its directly compatible with Roon.