Canuck Audio Mart Hifi and Audio ForumCanuck Audio Mart Hifi and Audio Forum
It is currently Mon Oct 23, 2017 12:09 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

PostPosted: Sat Apr 22, 2017 5:22 pm 

Rog50 wrote:
Well it does appear in a way, right under the internet icon of the globe. It shows a green light for internet on the app, but there is a yellow triangle beside the name of the Express. Clicking that shows that the device is missing from the network.

I will have to think about buying another one. From some of the internet reading I have done, it appears I might need an Extreme base station. I might just forgo the whole idea. Any other comments would be appreciated.

Rog

click the device in Airport utility and select the forget device. Since it was previously set up hard wired it needs to be reconfigured wirelessly. should then be able to set it up again as an extender to your existing network.
should find the answers here
https://support.apple.com/kb/index?page ... position=4

PostPosted: Sat Apr 22, 2017 6:55 pm 

Absolutely worth every penny for convenience of streaming from anywhere in your home :)

HOWEVER.

Buy a DAC with optical and plug that into the Airport Express. The onboard DAC is garbage. Then from DAC to your stereo RCAs, and
you are in business!

PostPosted: Sat Apr 22, 2017 7:12 pm 

Rog50 wrote:
Well it does appear in a way, right under the internet icon of the globe. It shows a green light for internet on the app, but there is a yellow triangle beside the name of the Express. Clicking that shows that the device is missing from the network.

I will have to think about buying another one. From some of the internet reading I have done, it appears I might need an Extreme base station. I might just forgo the whole idea. Any other comments would be appreciated.

Rog

Make sure you have the latest software update installed for the Express

PostPosted: Sat Apr 22, 2017 7:26 pm 

Thanks mpublicover
Gone as far as forgetting the device and re-configuring, not as a new wifi network as suggested on youtube but as joining an existing network.

Interesting, the airport utility never worked on the pc the first time and had to use the one on my iphone. Was not working this time either so I re installed it and it worked.

Gone so far as to hae set it up connected to the router and then unplugging from the router. The light is staying green and my phone shows the Express still connected, now wireless.

It's late so will try moving it over to the stereo in the morning. Looking good so far. Thanks again

Rog

PostPosted: Sat Apr 22, 2017 8:03 pm 

Rog50 wrote:
Thanks mpublicover
Gone as far as forgetting the device and re-configuring, not as a new wifi network as suggested on youtube but as joining an existing network.

Interesting, the airport utility never worked on the pc the first time and had to use the one on my iphone. Was not working this time either so I re installed it and it worked.

Gone so far as to hae set it up connected to the router and then unplugging from the router. The light is staying green and my phone shows the Express still connected, now wireless.

It's late so will try moving it over to the stereo in the morning. Looking good so far. Thanks again

Rog

Good luck with it tomorrow.
I have found that with Apple devices its alway better to start from a fresh point. Had a bugger of a time last night with an Apple tv outside. first time to use it this season and changed my Apple password over the winter. Kept taking me back to a sign in screen and It wouldn't let me rent a movie from iTunes. Realized I had to first sign out of my old profile and sign back in again with new password. Solved the issue.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 23, 2017 4:13 am 

I had a tough time setting it Airport Express initially. It wouldn't hold a signal and would drop off constantly. The solution was to update the bios on my main router. After that, it has been rock solid.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 23, 2017 5:12 am 

Yay

Success with the Express. Thank you all.
Did have a let down when I first tried to play a song with the iphone. Nothing came through. Found out I had to go to the control centre on the phone to select the Express. The iphone now works as a remote from anywhere in the house, amazing.

I'll have to see if I can borrow a dac somewhere to compare sound quality with and without one but for now---WE HAVE MUSIC !

PostPosted: Sun Apr 23, 2017 5:33 am 

Rog50 wrote:
Yay

Success with the Express. Thank you all.
Did have a let down when I first tried to play a song with the iphone. Nothing came through. Found out I had to go to the control centre on the phone to select the Express. The iphone now works as a remote from anywhere in the house, amazing.

I'll have to see if I can borrow a dac somewhere to compare sound quality with and without one but for now---WE HAVE MUSIC !

that is great news.
I have not found a difference in using a lower end dac over the direct from AE. They have an impressive output for the price.
The other benefit is the increased wifi signal that they are designed for. i'll set out from the house with a stream through my headphones and get nearly 4 houses away before it clicks over to the cell data.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 23, 2017 10:30 am 

Yes , great for Apple-centric closed systems but other alternatives offer (1) more flexibility (2) greater bitrates (3) wireless AC (4) support for other formats and (5) less likely to be abandoned as it appears is Apple's ongoing strategy of planned obsolescence- let's remove/eliminate connection options and proprietary software and file formats ( ITunes- yuck) and then , oh sorry, you need to upgrade to our new improved "feature set" . They do have clever engineering but nothing compared to their marketing.
At least with Logitech they still support LMS in its open source iteration and it still thrives

From Wikipedia:
The AirPort Express uses an audio connector that combines a 3.5 mm minijack socket and a mini-TOSLINK optical digital transmitter, allowing connection to an external digital-to-analog converter (DAC) or amplifier with internal DAC. Standard audio CDs ripped in iTunes into Apple Lossless format streamed to the AirPort Express will output a bit-for-bit identical bitstream when compared to the original CD (provided any sound enhancement settings in iTunes are disabled). DTS-encoded CDs ripped to Apple Lossless audio files - which decode as digital white noise in iTunes - will play back correctly when the AirPort Express is connected via TOSLINK to a DTS-compatible amplifier–decoder.[6] This is limited to 16-bit and 44.1 kHz when streaming from iTunes. Any higher quality content, such as high fidelity audio that uses up to 24-bit and/or 192 kHz will be truncated down to 16-bit and 44.1 kHz.[7] Discontinued

Compare to :
Chromecast or Chromecast audio :
Audio: High quality sound with 24-bit/96 KHz, optional Ethernet
Wireless: Wi-Fi 802.11ac (2.4 GHz/5 GHz) supporting all your wireless networks
Format support: Flac, MP3, AAC, MP4, WAV. Opus
Power: Supports the standard 5V, 1A power supply

Not to mention Raspberry PI, 3rd party NAS units , Android boxes etc.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 23, 2017 12:05 pm 

It would be interesting to hear if the ChromeCast specs are any better in real world listening.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 23, 2017 12:12 pm 

depends of course on the source/system but I vastly preferred it to an early Apple express -main point is itis a much more flexible architecture and current design .. but to each their own. :)

PostPosted: Sun Apr 23, 2017 12:42 pm 

buzzinghive wrote:
Yes , great for Apple-centric closed systems but other alternatives offer (1) more flexibility (2) greater bitrates (3) wireless AC (4) support for other formats and (5) less likely to be abandoned as it appears is Apple's ongoing strategy of planned obsolescence- let's remove/eliminate connection options and proprietary software and file formats ( ITunes- yuck) and then , oh sorry, you need to upgrade to our new improved "feature set" . They do have clever engineering but nothing compared to their marketing.
At least with Logitech they still support LMS in its open source iteration and it still thrives

From Wikipedia:
The AirPort Express uses an audio connector that combines a 3.5 mm minijack socket and a mini-TOSLINK optical digital transmitter, allowing connection to an external digital-to-analog converter (DAC) or amplifier with internal DAC. Standard audio CDs ripped in iTunes into Apple Lossless format streamed to the AirPort Express will output a bit-for-bit identical bitstream when compared to the original CD (provided any sound enhancement settings in iTunes are disabled). DTS-encoded CDs ripped to Apple Lossless audio files - which decode as digital white noise in iTunes - will play back correctly when the AirPort Express is connected via TOSLINK to a DTS-compatible amplifier–decoder.[6] This is limited to 16-bit and 44.1 kHz when streaming from iTunes. Any higher quality content, such as high fidelity audio that uses up to 24-bit and/or 192 kHz will be truncated down to 16-bit and 44.1 kHz.[7] Discontinued

Compare to :
Chromecast or Chromecast audio :
Audio: High quality sound with 24-bit/96 KHz, optional Ethernet
Wireless: Wi-Fi 802.11ac (2.4 GHz/5 GHz) supporting all your wireless networks
Format support: Flac, MP3, AAC, MP4, WAV. Opus
Power: Supports the standard 5V, 1A power supply

Not to mention Raspberry PI, 3rd party NAS units , Android boxes etc.

A few facts you conveniently left out:
-The AE is a wifi base station capable of creating its own wireless network or extending an existing one. This is the primary function and allows one to create a dedicated network for music only if they so choose.
-Airplay provides for multiple receivers simultaneously, allowing for an inexpensive all home music system. I've played to 5 devices at the same time.
-provides for analogue and digital outputs
- 1st generation was introduced in 2004 and second in 2008; so they have stood the test of time.
can any of the other devices do all, or even any of this?
The support gripe only seems to come from Apple haters. Last night I updated my 4 year old iPad with the latest IOS and my 2011 MBP is running the latest OS. What other manufacturer offers free Windows upgrades and Android updates until the hardware can no longer support the software updates?

PostPosted: Sun Apr 23, 2017 12:54 pm 

buzzinghive wrote:
depends of course on the source/system but I vastly preferred it to an early Apple express -main point is itis a much more flexible architecture and current design .. but to each their own. :)

I won't disagree. I love the Apple integration and streaming but others have caught up. I've now left Apple (not interested in Google anything) for audio sticking with lossless/HiRez streaming services built into the hardware.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 23, 2017 2:22 pm 

mpublicover wrote:
What other manufacturer offers free Windows upgrades and Android updates until the hardware can no longer support the software updates?

Every single one (win10 and android)

And Apple is the only one I know of the makes updates not available for older hardware, and then forces apps to only run on the newer updates.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 23, 2017 2:28 pm 

+1
Examples - iPod's, Apple TV, Mac Mini are three I have (or had) that got this treatment
To contrast, I have laptops from 2008 that are running Win10 with no issues with both AMD and Intel chips
As to Chrome audio support of multistreams, no compression etc the FAQ's are here

https://support.google.com/chromecast/a ... 6?hl=en-CA

Yes it's not a router but as far as audio goes....

Finally a critic is not a "hater" just a critic. :D