Canuck Audio Mart Hifi and Audio ForumCanuck Audio Mart Hifi and Audio Forum
It is currently Mon Dec 11, 2017 5:29 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

PostPosted: Tue Apr 18, 2017 6:56 am 

In the process of trying out Apple Music and would like to go wireless from my Iphone 6s to my rca auxiliary input of my old amp. It has been suggested to use wifi and the Airport Express. I just checked kijiji and I see all kinds of them for sale.

Is there a problem with the Express that would explain why so many are for sale ?
Is there a better solution? I have no dacs, have never streamed before.

Equipment is Technics Su-V9 and Monitor Audio 5i's.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 18, 2017 7:06 am 

So many are for sale because Apple sells a ton of these new, and people's needs change.
Recently picked one up on kijiji to extend my network, $40 like new, latest version A1392 that looks like a Mac Mini.
Have another one for streaming iTunes and Spotify to my main system.
No problems with these that I know of.
With no stand alone DAC you will be using the DAC built in to the airport express, and using the mini jack for analog out to the amp.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 18, 2017 7:09 am 
Dealer/Sponsor

For $110 you get bit accurate wireless streaming with 1 button connection from any apple device. It's a no brainer. It sounds as good as any $300 DAC and you can use the optical out with a $10,000 world-class DAC and have one of the simplest and best sounding streaming systems out there. If you want to do hi-res, then you need another solution.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 18, 2017 7:15 am 

Last week I changed out my Apple Express for a 2nd Apple Base Station Extreme. With the extra ports I was able to ethernet connect my Naim, Apple TV and iMac. My wifi download speed also doubled.

I was not impressed with the Airport Express for my needs

Last edited by ScanSpeak on Tue Apr 18, 2017 7:25 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 18, 2017 7:23 am 

I have run 2 of them for the past few years, great value product.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 18, 2017 7:48 am 

Get the newer one that looks like a Mac Mini. The older ones look like a wall wart and take up a lot of real estate on power bar. Also, make sure you have it where it can't get bumped. I sometimes lose a channel from the 3.5mm output because something bumped up against it. Would love RCA L and R, but you can't have everything!

PostPosted: Tue Apr 18, 2017 8:30 am 

I've been using two of these devices for quite some time. They're great for those of us who still use dedicated stereos in multiple rooms and gives older receiver's airplay capability for Spotify streaming. They can also be used with Windows based systems with the Airfoil software if you're using something like J-River instead of...I-Tunes.

My only issue with them is sometimes I have to unplug them and plug them back in for the wi-fi network to pick them up. They rarely lose the connection during streaming, but will drop it in between uses. The price is right for them as well.

I do prefer the Sonos Connect though. With that, I can use a DAC and the Sonos Controller IPad/IPhone App with Spotify integration is very user friendly. They're a bit too pricey to make it worth replacing all my Airport Expresses....for now.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 18, 2017 9:35 am 

Ah thanks folks. That is reassuring. I will be giving it a shot.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 18, 2017 12:44 pm 

Apple has announced its disinclination to produce and sell its own Wi-Fi routers in the near to medium term. That may explain why 1. a good many of their devices are around for sale used or discounted, 2. why folks are snapping them up. They are good routers, especially the current models, and very easy to set up if you have a Mac. Of course they cost a premium, like all Apple gear.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 18, 2017 12:48 pm 

Thanks for letting me know! I've been using my older version AE for seemingly ever, both as my wifi router and for streaming. Time to pick up a newer version.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 20, 2017 5:55 am 

The output of the Express doubles as an optical output so you can bypass the internal DAC if that's your inclination. I have 2 of them and find them invaluable. Getting one of them for $30 was quite a sweetener too.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 22, 2017 3:47 pm 

Picked up an Express off Kijiji today for 40 dollars. It is the newer version with the power cord. After fumbling with it and youtube for a few hours, I did manage to get it hooked up to my Bell Fibe Router. But only by running a cat 5 from the lan port of the Bell to the Wan port of the Express. And also, only by using my iphone 6s with Airport Utility was I able to do this.

However, once I disconnected the Express from it's physical connection to my router and moved it over to where my stereo is, I lost it. As my iphone Airport Utility no longer sees my Express.

I was hoping that the Express would have been able to join my network and then I could use my home wifi to play Apple Music thru the Express via my phone.

I am beginning to think that this is not what Apple intended and it may not be doable.

Any hints or solutions you folks might have ?

PostPosted: Sat Apr 22, 2017 4:12 pm 

the AE is fussy with what routers it works with.
does it appear when you select other wifi devices in the Airport utility?
the other option would be to place it where you can physically connect it and use it to set up a separate dedicated network for music only and pick up a second one to place in the location you want.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 22, 2017 4:24 pm 

I recently dug mine up, dusted it off and wired it to the modem. Took a bit to figure it out but got it working fine. It sounds much better than the ps3 I was using to stream. it shows up as a separate network to my home network so I just choose it when I want to stream and it piggybacks on the home network.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 22, 2017 4:25 pm 

Well it does appear in a way, right under the internet icon of the globe. It shows a green light for internet on the app, but there is a yellow triangle beside the name of the Express. Clicking that shows that the device is missing from the network.

I will have to think about buying another one. From some of the internet reading I have done, it appears I might need an Extreme base station. I might just forgo the whole idea. Any other comments would be appreciated.

Rog