Canuck Audio Mart Hifi and Audio ForumCanuck Audio Mart Hifi and Audio Forum
It is currently Thu Oct 19, 2017 11:08 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 46 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
PostPosted: Tue Feb 14, 2017 5:20 pm 

Jared Rachwalski wrote:
milesian wrote:
Whatever you get just make sure you can access it through e-sata or usb3.

May i ask why?

data transfer speed. or a lack thereof with usb2.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 14, 2017 5:31 pm 

bg74vic wrote:

The bandwidth of USB 2.0 can easily handle HiRes audio playback without issue. We aren't talking about uncompressed 4 and 5K video here.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 14, 2017 5:59 pm 

It is absolutely a crapshoot.

tardis26 wrote:
ripblade wrote:
So what is everyone doing to experience drive failures? For my own accounting, I let the drives spin down when idle (30 minutes), and never knowingly commit read/writes from/to the same drive simultaneously.

It's like a crapshoot, I was just unlucky with a couple of Seagate Hard drives, but to their credit they replaced it under warranty. :)

That's what MTBF means as a spec: a mean time to failure across the full number of drives produced. Some will go late, some not. I still have an original 80GB drive running in a 2004 MacBook Pro. It's backed up to another one of the same vintage. Lord knows which one will fail first, but neither one owes me a thing.

But one does try to keep them cool.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 14, 2017 6:01 pm 

tolpheus wrote:
bg74vic wrote:

The bandwidth of USB 2.0 can easily handle HiRes audio playback without issue. We aren't talking about uncompressed 4 and 5K video here.

we're talking about data backup here though, not playback.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 14, 2017 6:03 pm 

I maintain 3 copies of (legally) downloaded hi-res. musics: WD firewire 800 external drive connected to a MacMini headless music server, an external WD USB 3.0 drive, and a Sony HAP-Z1ES music server. I seldomly ripped my CD and SACD collection because I am just being lazy. But when I do I use EAC to rip CD's to FLAC lossless compressed files, and a hacked, early production PS3 to rip SACD's.

I trust WD harddrives. Touch wood they have never failed me. No such luck with Seagate. I also have experience problems with a couple of SSD's from Crucial used as boot drives and they both failed very early on. SSD's do have numbers of read and write limited but I didn't expect such short MTTF - both died so soon.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 14, 2017 6:08 pm 

bg74vic wrote:
tolpheus wrote:
bg74vic wrote:

The OP was talking about playback and the person that mentioned eSata and USB 3.0 didn't explicitly say backup, they said "access". Hence my comment.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 14, 2017 6:39 pm 

tolpheus wrote:
The OP was talking about playback and the person that mentioned eSata and USB 3.0 didn't explicitly say backup, they said "access". Hence my comment.

Most of the recent comments were about raid, drive failures and backup. Hence mine.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 14, 2017 9:06 pm 

Toby wrote:
It is absolutely a crapshoot.

Absolutely. Even without a drive failure in over 30 years everything of importance is backed up twice.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 14, 2017 10:26 pm 

It will only be slow the first time. After that, if you sync only changes, then no issues with USB 2.0

bg74vic wrote:
tolpheus wrote:
bg74vic wrote:

PostPosted: Wed Feb 15, 2017 4:05 am 

tolpheus wrote:
bg74vic wrote:

It's not the USB2 audio capability, it's the time it takes to transfer huge collections of data. A 1TB backup will be faster on usb3 or e-sata. I do remember reading somewhere that USB 3 does not sound as good as USB1 or 2. Although I don't believe there are any USB3 capable DACs out there. And of course don't forget that when you sell one of your CDs or all of them, you are supposed to delete all your disk copies.

Decware SE84UFO2 ... Chord 2Qute.... Omega SAM's ... TEO GC Liquid Cables ... Audiosector Integrated... Auralic Aries Femto... Sonore Microrendu... Equi-Core 1200 Power Conditioner ... MCRU LPS... Meridian Explorer2 ... zavfino1877 power cord.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 15, 2017 4:38 am 

OP, I converted to digital 3 years ago. Here's what I did:

a) Purchased a Western Digital, 2 TB internal hard drive, installed it in my computer in a spare bay and made it a dedicated music drive.

b) Purchased J-River Media Center for windows and used that software to convert all of my CD's to .flac files, storing them on my dedicated music drive.

c) Used USB to go direct from PC to my DAC, using J-River's playback settings to avoid using my PC's soundcard.

d) Purchased a 2TB portable hard drive and back up the internal drive to it periodically. I store the portable drive in the safe at my office, in case something happens to/in my home.

There may be better, safer ways, but I'm very happy with what I've done.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 15, 2017 8:06 am 

svtcontour wrote:
It will only be slow the first time. After that, if you sync only changes, then no issues with USB 2.0

Exactly.
Setup the back program to only backup the files that have changed or been added and USB2.0 is fine.

To back up the initial 1Tb (for example):
USB2.0 -> 6-8hours
USB3.0 -> 1-2 Hours.

So much quicker, but not necessary. If you only have USB 2.0 don't let that stop you.
Nowadays all new external drives and computers should be USB 3.0 compatible.

Reckoner wrote:
d) Purchased a 2TB portable hard drive and back up the internal drive to it periodically. I store the portable drive in the safe at my office, in case something happens to/in my home.

Always a good idea to store off-site.
Nowadays you can also get cloud storage for cheap:
https://www.backblaze.com/cloud-backup.html
Unlimited for $5.00 per month.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 15, 2017 9:48 am 

Jared Rachwalski wrote:
svtcontour wrote:

Exactly.
Setup the back program to only backup the files that have changed or been added and USB2.0 is fine.

To back up the initial 1Tb (for example):
USB2.0 -> 6-8hours
USB3.0 -> 1-2 Hours.

So much quicker, but not necessary. If you only have USB 2.0 don't let that stop you.
Nowadays all new external drives and computers should be USB 3.0 compatible.

Assuming of course that you're able to make incremental backups. Some NASs do not feature this. I'm not saying this shouldn't stop you using USB2, but it's something to be aware of when deciding on hardware/software for a data storage and backup system.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 15, 2017 10:01 am 

Reckoner wrote:
OP, I converted to digital 3 years ago. Here's what I did:

a) Purchased a Western Digital, 2 TB internal hard drive, installed it in my computer in a spare bay and made it a dedicated music drive.

b) Purchased J-River Media Center for windows and used that software to convert all of my CD's to .flac files, storing them on my dedicated music drive.

c) Used USB to go direct from PC to my DAC, using J-River's playback settings to avoid using my PC's soundcard.

Good write up, simple and to the point

PostPosted: Sun Jul 30, 2017 4:07 pm 

Freenas on a small server on your network is definitely the way to go...
No power or motor "noise" introduced into your "player", and redundancy and painless expandability. Use one for music, movies and backups. I'll never be without one now!

Sent from my SM-G955F using Tapatalk

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 46 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next