Canuck Audio Mart Hifi and Audio ForumCanuck Audio Mart Hifi and Audio Forum
It is currently Mon Oct 23, 2017 11:10 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 46 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
PostPosted: Sat Feb 11, 2017 12:58 pm 

ripblade wrote:
I must be the only guy here who's never experienced a drive failure. Last year I retired my 15GB partitioned boot drive only because the 7Gig boot partition was becoming too small to be of any use. It still works, though.

So what is everyone doing to experience drive failures? For my own accounting, I let the drives spin down when idle (30 minutes), and never knowingly commit read/writes from/to the same drive simultaneously.

In over 30years with a computer I've never had a hard drive fail either. Between my self, my wife and my son there were 6 computers in regular use and 12 WD external drives in use. 7 of the external drives were only used for back up though. One computer and 3 drives left when my son went south for college.
Hope I haven't just jinxed my self after that statement. :lol:

Last edited by billont on Sat Feb 11, 2017 5:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 11, 2017 2:20 pm 

A solid state drive will be far more reliable. But they are more expensive.

Purchase a lower cost "traditional" hard drive for a second copy. Then give it to a friend. Your backup copy should be offsite.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 11, 2017 3:36 pm 

The more time one needs to re-rip their songs, the more money/time one should invest on data setup, you can lost the data not only by hardware failure, but also data corruption. RAID is not the best setup for backup, failed RAID drive can be replace with new drive, if the RAID hardware fails, new RAID hardware may not always be fully compatible with the old.

IMO in a home setup, there should be 3 copies, rotate the 3 drives after syncing them, but NEVER sync them together, one is online, one is offline, one is always off site, or in a safe - with enough fire rating to protect the data.

It may sound over cautious, but if you have multi-TB music collection, you decide what your time is worth. Some prefers 3.5" drive over 2.5", as there are more choices for different quality of drives, 3.5" drive needs it own power supply, which may affect the sound, while other suggested we are merely pushing the data to the DAC for processing, the sound could not be affected this way.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 11, 2017 3:40 pm 

I tend to buy used Macs, fix them up and pass them on to folks who want them. So I've worked on a lot of machines, both desktop and portable, and installed a good many drives.

I've had two or three boot drives fail. These were spinning drives. No data loss occurred, either because I already had backups, or I was able to back up in time.

I've had several backup drives fail, spinners again.

I've had two SSD boot drives fail. These were relatively new drives. In both cases the entire contents of the disc were lost in about a minute, so no time to try and save anything.

Many more drives worked, and kept on working, than failed. And my own experience suggests that if an SSD is going to fail, it will do so fairly early in its life. But more than anything else, this experience suggests that having multiple backups, regularly updated, is a Very Good Thing, not matter what technology you're using.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 11, 2017 4:01 pm 

Toby wrote:
I tend to buy used Macs, fix them up and pass them on to folks who want them. So I've worked on a lot of machines, both desktop and portable, and installed a good many drives.

I've had two or three boot drives fail. These were spinning drives. No data loss occurred, either because I already had backups, or I was able to back up in time.

I've had several backup drives fail, spinners again.

I've had two SSD boot drives fail. These were relatively new drives. In both cases the entire contents of the disc were lost in about a minute, so no time to try and save anything.

Many more drives worked, and kept on working, than failed. And my own experience suggests that if an SSD is going to fail, it will do so fairly early in its life. But more than anything else, this experience suggests that having multiple backups, regularly updated, is a Very Good Thing, not matter what technology you're using.

I have had more SSD's fail than spinning drives, maintaining a business server with a 5 disc RAID, 2 discs failed in 10 years going 24/7.
But the point is it's relatively cheap to setup a personal raid system where the occasional drive failure is a "cost of doing audio"

PostPosted: Sat Feb 11, 2017 6:35 pm 
Premium User

We are lucky that storage is cheap! It just takes a little bit of time and effort to backup data yet many, many people do not.

The Western Digital portable drives work well for me. I have a ruggedized hard case for one of them for when I travel and need to transfer photos from cards.

I haven't had a drive fail but why risk fate? It took me almost 3 weeks to rip my CD collection (while working at my computer). That was a long time ago (15 years) but the time commitment means you really will want to back up.

BTW, I have always used iTunes. When I retire I plan on ripping to a lossless format as all of my files are MP3.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 11, 2017 9:08 pm 

+1 on multiple backups. After all the tagging I've done on my music files I would not want to re-rip CDs, plus the fact at this point the majority of my music files are high resolution digital files.

MacPro Tower Media Server
iPad Mini Controller
Audirvana Playback
APC H15 Power Conditioner

PostPosted: Mon Feb 13, 2017 4:51 am 

Main HD is a 5TB Seagate.

Backups are multiple 2TB Seagates. I have 2 full backups spread over 6 spare drives and stored in 2 different locations (1 offsite).

FLAC mostly for me. Ripping was all done using EAC (Exact Audio Copy) years ago.

Mark in Burlington

PostPosted: Mon Feb 13, 2017 9:05 pm 

I personally think a mirror set plus a weekly sync to a backup drive is the way to go. Seagate, WD, Hitachi... it's all the same. Best thing is being prepared for disasters. Also keeping drives cool will help reliability a bit.

For ripping, i like EAC - exact audio copy.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 14, 2017 4:22 am 

Whatever you get just make sure you can access it through e-sata or usb3. Lots of older pc's have only USB2 although you can upgrade with an add on card. I have a usb3 expresscard for my Lenovo laptop, but it's flakey. I also have a selection of external e-sata docking stations I can use with bare hard drives. Agree with most other comments here, never yet had a drive failure, and I only rip to WAV.

Decware SE84UFO2... Chord 2Qute... Omega SAM's... TEO GC Liquid Cables... Audiosector Integrated... Auralic Aries Femto... Sonore Microrendu... Equi-Core 1200 Power Conditioner... MCRU LPS... Audioquest Dragonfly Red... Zavfino1877 power cord.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 14, 2017 7:51 am 

A NAS + autosyncing cloud back up (I personally use Crashplan but it's a resource hog if storage is high). I've used Western Digital hard drives over the years with abundant success, as well as Samsung.

HDD and SSD both fail and as mentioned, the latter when it goes it goes fast.

Honestly I would go to Memory Express if you can (or a trusted computer shop), tell them what you need and that you want everything basically automated for back up and you're golden.

I use FBackup that backs up my music + photos weekly at 12-6am.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 14, 2017 3:27 pm 

On second thoughts don't bother. Sell your CD's in bulk or give them to Goodwill. Get a streamer and just listen to Tidal Flac. It will give you almost as good as what you can do ripping. So good you won't notice the difference after a while.

Decware SE84UFO2... Chord 2Qute... Omega SAM's... TEO GC Liquid Cables... Audiosector Integrated... Auralic Aries Femto... Sonore Microrendu... Equi-Core 1200 Power Conditioner... MCRU LPS... Audioquest Dragonfly Red... Zavfino1877 power cord.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 14, 2017 3:57 pm 

Quote:
Get a streamer and just listen to Tidal Flac. It will give you almost as good as what you can do ripping. So good you won't notice the difference after a while.

I heard something similar years ago...sell your records and just listen to cds. So good, etc. :roll: :wink: I still listen to vinyl. I am not ready to unload my cds & cd player.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 14, 2017 4:21 pm 

milesian wrote:
Whatever you get just make sure you can access it through e-sata or usb3.

May i ask why?

My favorite free backup program:
http://www.dirsyncpro.org/

A little tricky to use, but very powerful.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 14, 2017 4:47 pm 

ripblade wrote:
I must be the only guy here who's never experienced a drive failure. Last year I retired my 15GB partitioned boot drive only because the 7Gig boot partition was becoming too small to be of any use. It still works, though.

So what is everyone doing to experience drive failures? For my own accounting, I let the drives spin down when idle (30 minutes), and never knowingly commit read/writes from/to the same drive simultaneously.

It's like a crapshoot, I was just unlucky with a couple of Seagate Hard drives, but to their credit they replaced it under warranty. :)

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 46 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next