Canuck Audio Mart Hifi and Audio ForumCanuck Audio Mart Hifi and Audio Forum
It is currently Wed Oct 18, 2017 8:28 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

PostPosted: Sat Feb 11, 2017 9:20 am 

A comment by L-man where he suggested placing your music on a hard drive and using your OPPO to play it back was a good method for the beginner. Simple is best for me. I have several hundred cds plus a large collection of vinyl.

So here are my questions:
1) Which brand of hard drive is best for music storage? I know this probably changes every week, but I have no clue, so humor me! :wink:
2) Which ripping / storage software does a good job in terms of music quality and ease of use?
3) anything else I should know about?

PostPosted: Sat Feb 11, 2017 9:25 am 
Premium User

Vinyl Guy wrote:
A comment by L-man where he suggested placing your music on a hard drive and using your OPPO to play it back was a good method for the beginner. Simple is best for me. I have several hundred cds plus a large collection of vinyl.

1) Which brand of hard drive is best for music storage? I know this probably changes every week, but I have no clue, so humor me! :wink:
2) Which ripping / storage software does a good job in terms of music quality and ease of use?

A 'name brand' HD is best...and to rip I would recommend dBpoweramp Music Converter

https://www.dbpoweramp.com/dmc.htm

I would also suggest you rip everything to FLAC format.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 11, 2017 9:40 am 

Do you have a link for HD portable hard drives? I can seem to find them.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 11, 2017 9:43 am 
Premium User

Vinyl Guy wrote:
Do you have a link for HD portable hard drives? I can seem to find them.

I've been using the Transcend Portable HD for years...

https://www.transcend-info.com/product/external

PostPosted: Sat Feb 11, 2017 9:59 am 

Voodoo Funk wrote:
Vinyl Guy wrote:

A 'name brand' HD is best...and to rip I would recommend dBpoweramp Music Converter

https://www.dbpoweramp.com/dmc.htm

I would also suggest you rip everything to FLAC format.

Quick question here Voodoo.... When I did this, I ripped to WAV format because I've been told that any device would play WAV files which is not true of FLAC. So if that's true, does it not make more sense to use WAV as it does not limit future choice of playback devices?.

Other than that I agree with the method mentioned above. I ripped everything I had and then separated it into six folders with labels like Classical, Rock, Folk etc. I loaded this onto three separate hard drives and plugged one into my Cambridge CXN media player for the bedroom system and my Bryston BDP player in the main system and kept one as a backup. I use my IPad to control everything with the aid of a couple of downloaded apps.

Really easy to do ( time consuming for the ripping ) and really easy to use. Sounds some good too. :)

PostPosted: Sat Feb 11, 2017 10:05 am 

I used a 1T internal drive with a good reputation (Maxtor or Seagate, I forget which) and put it in an external case. Lots of cooling, quiet, fairly cheap and reliable.

Flacs are used mostly for tagging and to save drive space. Alac works just as well, I think. Both are compatible with most media players in my experience. If you use iTunes, I think there's a flac plug-in available for it.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 11, 2017 10:07 am 
Premium User

KJT1 wrote:
Quick question here Voodoo.... When I did this, I ripped to WAV format because I've been told that any device would play WAV files which is not true of FLAC. So if that's true, does it not make more sense to use WAV as it does not limit future choice of playback devices?.

Many roads to Rome!!!

Shouldn't be any difference between either format...so whatever works for you. 8)

PostPosted: Sat Feb 11, 2017 10:18 am 

Western Digital for me...also have backup bluray data discs tucked away just in case

PostPosted: Sat Feb 11, 2017 10:28 am 

Vinyl Guy wrote:

Hi VG,
It's only a matter of time before a hard drive dies - some sooner, some later, so make sure you have a BACKUP!....somewhere. I use a RAID (redundant array of independent disks) - two separate hard drives in one enclosure, in my case, where each disk contains the identical data. One drive dies, I pull it and put in a new hard drive and rebuild the identical data. They both die, I'm screwed, but less likely than having a single external hard drive full of music files dying.
External drives can be kinda delicate too - several years ago I had a Western Digital 2tb external chock full of music and movies and I knocked it over, just on its side, not onto the floor, reaching past it and it was toast...I could have pulled the hard drive and sent it off to a data recovery company, but the one time I had to do that for some sensitive data from a hard drive, the bill was about $700-800 iirc.
Even if you have a hard drive full of rips from 100s of cds that you have up on a shelf, you don't want to rip them all again, right? I speak from painful experience...

PostPosted: Sat Feb 11, 2017 10:34 am 

I just upgraded my media server storage to a Seagate ST Ironwolf 10TB. Pure overkill, but I have had too many three year warranty hard drives fail and the price was right. Sounds the same as any other drive I have used.

If you want to get "audiophily", you would have to eliminate all the noisy switching power supplies before any hard drive would make a difference. This is what Bryston has done on their BDP-2.

As for an external enclosure, just go for something reliable.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 11, 2017 10:49 am 

A few comments:

There is no "best for music" hard drive.
All hard drives can fail. So backup is important.
RAID is not a backup. You will want to keep a copy of the music files on a second device (the computer your did the ripping on can be used)

Portable drives are hard drives that do not require an external powersupply.
Depending on the player some portable drives are not supported, generally it is the larger (3TB +)drives that may not be supported.

FLAC = WAV quality + tagging.
As FLAC can compress the music (which some think is an issue for sound quality) use the uncompressed FLAC option where ripping. Tagging is very important and usefull with a large collection. It allows you to search by name, track, album, genre, year.

DB Poweramp is great for ripping and supports creating un-compressed FLAC files.

Yes, wav can support tagging - but it is not on the standard so not every device that can play wav can read tags.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 11, 2017 11:30 am 

Thank you all for your suggestions. I know that hard drives fail, so do smart phones. You are lucky if you get 3 years out them. So back up and spares are required. That said I am listening to my 30 year old Nakamichi cassette deck as I type this. Yes, it has been repaired a couple of time, but it can be repaired (or at least used to be!). The tapes are of the same vintage. The ones I made myself on good quality tape still work...shades of Guardians of the Galaxy! :wink: :lol:

So, to summarize buy a couple of good portable hard drives and dBpoweramp and I am set, correct?

PostPosted: Sat Feb 11, 2017 11:35 am 

I must be the only guy here who's never experienced a drive failure. Last year I retired my 15GB partitioned boot drive only because the 7Gig boot partition was becoming too small to be of any use. It still works, though.

So what is everyone doing to experience drive failures? For my own accounting, I let the drives spin down when idle (30 minutes), and never knowingly commit read/writes from/to the same drive simultaneously.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 11, 2017 11:53 am 

ripblade wrote:
I must be the only guy here who's never experienced a drive failure. Last year I retired my 15GB partitioned boot drive only because the 7Gig boot partition was becoming too small to be of any use. It still works, though.

So what is everyone doing to experience drive failures? For my own accounting, I let the drives spin down when idle (30 minutes), and never knowingly commit read/writes from/to the same drive simultaneously.

I have only had 2 drives fail in 20+ years of keeping track.
That is approximately 2 drives out of 100+ that I have used over the years.
There is nothing you can do (or not do) to stop a drive from failing.
Some do...some don't...
The idea is to act as if it will happen. BACKUP!
Just like some people have never experienced a flat tire....but we all (should) have a spare in our vehicle.

Here are some stats from a cloud backup provider:
https://www.backblaze.com/blog/hard-dri ... s-q3-2016/

Read that last line:
They had 67,642 drives running...and only 2% failed.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 11, 2017 11:56 am 

Vinyl Guy wrote:

Hi
Vinyl Guy
To answer to your questions :
1. I personally use two Western 4TB Digital Red in my NAS (Acustor 2-bay) also Lacie - Seagate .
2. I use XLD for mac and like it a lot,for playback I use JRiver 22 for mac that is excellent. In the past I used iTunes for ripping but had issues on rare occasions.
3. All the music I cherish ,I own in either cd or lp format. I still buy cds and LPs of music I care.

Thanks
George