Canuck Audio Mart Hifi and Audio ForumCanuck Audio Mart Hifi and Audio Forum
It is currently Mon Oct 23, 2017 5:40 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours




Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 162 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 7, 8, 9, 10, 11
Author Message
PostPosted: Thu Jun 15, 2017 7:15 am 
Offline
Premium User
User avatar

Joined: Sat Jul 04, 2009 6:08 pm
Posts: 18449
Location: Montreal, QC, CA
mahatma1 wrote:
I've been enjoying listening to music through the DAC Magic 100. I found a computer that would do everything I needed and for a reasonable price or so I thought.
I had the music on my laptop transferred to the "new" one and was ready to go but Murphy laid down the law.
The computer I had was promised to someone else. A store screw up.
The store was apologetic and said they'd make things right. I wasn't happy but $hit happens.
It didn't end there. In the process of putting the music back on the "old" computer something went wrong.
Albums were lost, a lot of them.
I thought I had backed up the music to an external drive but apparently I had botched it.
All was not lost. The music was still on the iPods. They were able to restore things back to normal from them.
The lesson about backing things up has been a good one, not doing it correctly a scary one.
Since the back up debacle, I started checking out back up services like Backblaze or Carbonite.
All I really need backed up are some photos and of course the music.
Does anyone use these services?
Appreciate your thoughts.


Just goes to prove that a backup is totally useless unless you test it regularly for restorability. I can't begin to tell you often I have has clients do backups blindly and never testing them until they have a system crash and realize that backups have not been happening or were missing large parts of the data when they try to restore it.

In business, a regularly tested backup policy is critical and when the process fails, in 90+% of the cases, the business goes into bankruptcy or fails within a few months. Of course, a music collection is nowhere near as critical as vital business data, but it is a major annoyance and time consuming process to get everything back after a crash.


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
PostPosted: Thu Jun 15, 2017 7:22 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Fri Mar 30, 2007 9:41 am
Posts: 3806
Location: Ingersoll, ON, CA
OBI56 wrote:
mahatma1 wrote:
I've been enjoying listening to music through the DAC Magic 100. I found a computer that would do everything I needed and for a reasonable price or so I thought.
I had the music on my laptop transferred to the "new" one and was ready to go but Murphy laid down the law.
The computer I had was promised to someone else. A store screw up.
The store was apologetic and said they'd make things right. I wasn't happy but $hit happens.
It didn't end there. In the process of putting the music back on the "old" computer something went wrong.
Albums were lost, a lot of them.
I thought I had backed up the music to an external drive but apparently I had botched it.
All was not lost. The music was still on the iPods. They were able to restore things back to normal from them.
The lesson about backing things up has been a good one, not doing it correctly a scary one.
Since the back up debacle, I started checking out back up services like Backblaze or Carbonite.
All I really need backed up are some photos and of course the music.
Does anyone use these services?
Appreciate your thoughts.


Just goes to prove that a backup is totally useless unless you test it regularly for restorability. I can't begin to tell you often I have has clients do backups blindly and never testing them until they have a system crash and realize that backups have not been happening or were missing large parts of the data when they try to restore it.

In business, a regularly tested backup policy is critical and when the process fails, in 90+% of the cases, the business goes into bankruptcy or fails within a few months. Of course, a music collection is nowhere near as critical as vital business data, but it is a major annoyance and time consuming process to get everything back after a crash.

So very, very, true.

_________________
He who is like the wind blowing from your pants.


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
PostPosted: Thu Jun 15, 2017 10:03 am 
Online

Joined: Wed Feb 27, 2013 8:43 am
Posts: 759
Location: Stratford, ON, CA
Hi,

mahatma1 wrote: 'So very, very, true.'

I just got the bill for repairs. I was trying to restore Windows 10 with its very own back-up and recovery partitions mapped on to a jump drive and guess what - it all failed. And since this was a 'free' upgrade install of WIN10, from WIN7, I don't have any discs laying around because it downloaded in the night. So, off it goes to the certified Microsoft guys. $125 later I got WIN10 back but in the bargain I insisted that this was the end of it all and had them put a dual boot version of Linux Mint on the hard-drive, which they did. So, after paying the bill I boot up WIN10 and what have I got - well it's not a clean install at all. It is a transfer over from somebody's hard drive full of mostly games which are useless to me as I am a utilities guy. Took only two days to delete all the bloatware, install all the software that was missing, and restore my data files, or at least the ones I had around as back-up to the back-up.

Do not trust any hard-drive back-up systems that are not stand alone dedicated pieces of software that you paid money for and chuck the freebies and the Microsoft this and that bits. And, by the way, if you have tried Linux distros before, and been unconvinced, then try Linux MInt. The debian software repositiories and the 'apt' command in the Terminal window, makes loading software a no-brainer. This one is definitely a keeper.

Cheers,
David Neice

_________________
Chinese Proverb: 'Man who waits for roast duck to fly into mouth, waits very, very long time'.


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
PostPosted: Thu Jun 15, 2017 10:31 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Fri Mar 30, 2007 9:41 am
Posts: 3806
Location: Ingersoll, ON, CA
buybye88 wrote:
Hi,

mahatma1 wrote: 'So very, very, true.'

I just got the bill for repairs. I was trying to restore Windows 10 with its very own back-up and recovery partitions mapped on to a jump drive and guess what - it all failed. And since this was a 'free' upgrade install of WIN10, from WIN7, I don't have any discs laying around because it downloaded in the night. So, off it goes to the certified Microsoft guys. $125 later I got WIN10 back but in the bargain I insisted that this was the end of it all and had them put a dual boot version of Linux Mint on the hard-drive, which they did. So, after paying the bill I boot up WIN10 and what have I got - well it's not a clean install at all. It is a transfer over from somebody's hard drive full of mostly games which are useless to me as I am a utilities guy. Took only two days to delete all the bloatware, install all the software that was missing, and restore my data files, or at least the ones I had around as back-up to the back-up.

Do not trust any hard-drive back-up systems that are not stand alone dedicated pieces of software that you paid money for and chuck the freebies and the Microsoft this and that bits. And, by the way, if you have tried Linux distros before, and been unconvinced, then try Linux MInt. The debian software repositiories and the 'apt' command in the Terminal window, makes loading software a no-brainer. This one is definitely a keeper.

Cheers,
David Neice

Good advice. I'm going to show these posts to my local computer shop. I don't plan on going through this again. Screw up aside, they seem like good guys that will listen.

_________________
He who is like the wind blowing from your pants.


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
PostPosted: Thu Jun 15, 2017 11:54 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Wed May 30, 2007 7:54 am
Posts: 3452
Location: Vernon, BC, CA
buybye88 wrote:
Do not trust any hard-drive back-up systems that are not stand alone dedicated pieces of software that you paid money for and chuck the freebies and the Microsoft this and that bits. And, by the way, if you have tried Linux distros before, and been unconvinced, then try Linux MInt. The debian software repositiories and the 'apt' command in the Terminal window, makes loading software a no-brainer. This one is definitely a keeper.

Cheers,
David Neice

Wait, you refuse to trust free backup software....but free operating system software is ok?

DirSyncPro is an excellent and powerful free backup software.

Don't forget folks, a backup is not a backup if it is the ONLY copy of the file!
Test your backups


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
PostPosted: Thu Jun 15, 2017 3:21 pm 
Offline

Joined: Mon May 23, 2016 1:19 pm
Posts: 175
Location: Mississauga, ON, CA
mahatma1 wrote:
I've been enjoying listening to music through the DAC Magic 100. I found a computer that would do everything I needed and for a reasonable price or so I thought.
I had the music on my laptop transferred to the "new" one and was ready to go but Murphy laid down the law.
The computer I had was promised to someone else. A store screw up.
The store was apologetic and said they'd make things right. I wasn't happy but $hit happens.
It didn't end there. In the process of putting the music back on the "old" computer something went wrong.
Albums were lost, a lot of them.
I thought I had backed up the music to an external drive but apparently I had botched it.
All was not lost. The music was still on the iPods. They were able to restore things back to normal from them.
The lesson about backing things up has been a good one, not doing it correctly a scary one.
Since the back up debacle, I started checking out back up services like Backblaze or Carbonite.
All I really need backed up are some photos and of course the music.
Does anyone use these services?
Appreciate your thoughts.


I might be wrong, but I assume, you are using Macs? if so, did you turn on the Time machine to back up to another drive? What is your secondary backup? I find Super Duper extremely reliable and it creates bootable copy of your drive, it also reports back to you if the scheduled backup did not happened or if you run out of disk space, highly recommended. I would never be able to sleep at night without at least two continuous backups on all active computers. There was a time when we run OS9 with Retrospect backup software running on dedicated backup computer to copy all workstations drives to a different drive every other night to give us 48 hour window in case we backup corrupted QuarkXpress file, ahh those were the times, lol


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
PostPosted: Thu Jun 15, 2017 3:31 pm 
Online

Joined: Wed Feb 27, 2013 8:43 am
Posts: 759
Location: Stratford, ON, CA
Hi,

Jared wrote:'Wait, you refuse to trust free backup software....but free operating system software is ok?'

There is one major difference or even two.

Free software for Windows is often, but not always, tied to some clever trial offer or secondarily to a 'big green button' that has you downloading stuff you don't want or else 'substitutes' for what you are actually trying to get. Free software sites are everlastingly creative. Some I have seen make it almost impossible to identify the 'correct' download button. Free for windows means 'strings attached' - always. Sometimes the strings involve malware, which the site owners are even unaware of and that may have been placed there by third parties. On and on it goes.

A free open source operating system, in this case Linux Mint, is a community managed resource, and as such there are virtually no 'strings attached' to downloads. The software repositories are managed as community resources and are heavily vetted and kept out of range of commercial fingers and intentions.

Sometimes free windows software is a blessing; maybe you need a patch or a driver. But if you go to a free windows software site and it looks really busy and complicated and loaded with ads and on and on, then be careful what you wish for. I have a tracker on my browser that tells me how many sites could potentially see my data clicks (i.e. surveillance) and it is not unusual to see 30 or 40 being blocked when it involves a site with free windows software.

25 years ago I would not have written this post. Those times are gone.

Cheers,
David Neice

_________________
Chinese Proverb: 'Man who waits for roast duck to fly into mouth, waits very, very long time'.


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
PostPosted: Thu Jun 15, 2017 4:17 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Wed May 30, 2007 7:54 am
Posts: 3452
Location: Vernon, BC, CA
All due respect David free software is not the problem.
Websites who host free software are the problem.

Use www.ninite.com to safely download and install free software with no toolbars, no crap, nothing.


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
PostPosted: Thu Jun 15, 2017 6:16 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Fri Mar 30, 2007 9:41 am
Posts: 3806
Location: Ingersoll, ON, CA
Bandy wrote:
mahatma1 wrote:
I've been enjoying listening to music through the DAC Magic 100. I found a computer that would do everything I needed and for a reasonable price or so I thought.
I had the music on my laptop transferred to the "new" one and was ready to go but Murphy laid down the law.
The computer I had was promised to someone else. A store screw up.
The store was apologetic and said they'd make things right. I wasn't happy but $hit happens.
It didn't end there. In the process of putting the music back on the "old" computer something went wrong.
Albums were lost, a lot of them.
I thought I had backed up the music to an external drive but apparently I had botched it.
All was not lost. The music was still on the iPods. They were able to restore things back to normal from them.
The lesson about backing things up has been a good one, not doing it correctly a scary one.
Since the back up debacle, I started checking out back up services like Backblaze or Carbonite.
All I really need backed up are some photos and of course the music.
Does anyone use these services?
Appreciate your thoughts.


I might be wrong, but I assume, you are using Macs? if so, did you turn on the Time machine to back up to another drive? What is your secondary backup? I find Super Duper extremely reliable and it creates bootable copy of your drive, it also reports back to you if the scheduled backup did not happened or if you run out of disk space, highly recommended. I would never be able to sleep at night without at least two continuous backups on all active computers. There was a time when we run OS9 with Retrospect backup software running on dedicated backup computer to copy all workstations drives to a different drive every other night to give us 48 hour window in case we backup corrupted QuarkXpress file, ahh those were the times, lol

I'm using a PC. FWIW: I ran a utilities program on the external drive and it found a couple bad sectors. I believe it fixed them (haven't checked). I ran a disc check and everything was green so I backed up a bunch of photos and all my music. Things went a lot faster this time with no pauses. I'll find out for sure tomorrow.

_________________
He who is like the wind blowing from your pants.


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
PostPosted: Fri Jun 16, 2017 5:18 am 
Online

Joined: Wed Feb 27, 2013 8:43 am
Posts: 759
Location: Stratford, ON, CA
Hi,

Jared wrote: 'All due respect David free software is not the problem.
Websites who host free software are the problem.'

You are absolutely right. :D I am confusing cause and messenger. Many thanks for the pointer to ninite.

Cheers,
David Neice

_________________
Chinese Proverb: 'Man who waits for roast duck to fly into mouth, waits very, very long time'.


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
PostPosted: Fri Jun 16, 2017 9:18 am 
Offline

Joined: Wed Apr 04, 2012 11:11 am
Posts: 228
Location: GTA, ON, CA
Some suggestions for safer backup, it will cost money, but HDDs are getting cheaper.


Do not put two Non-Windows O/S on same HDD, unless you know what you are doing, many Win/Mac/Linux boot loader treat boot partition differently.

Use HDD mobile rack for O/S back up, you can replace/restore HDDs quickly to confirm success/failure of your image backup.

Do not mix O/S and data/software/music on the same HDD, most O/S are still under 50GB, much faster to backup and restore, which encourage more full backup.

Sync music with multiple HDDs on docking station, rotate them with every backup for normal usage, play music on random mode for a few hours afterwards also helps.

Do not buy cheapest available HDD, get bare drive if possible, so you know what class of drive you are getting. It is true HDD with shorter warranty may outlast HDD with longer warranty, but "on average", HDD with longer warranty last longer - from the same manufacture of the same era.


P.S. Not all programs would allow us to choose installation drive, symbolic/hard link could resolve most of those issues.


Last edited by catwk on Sat Jun 17, 2017 6:07 am, edited 1 time in total.

Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
PostPosted: Fri Jun 16, 2017 3:11 pm 
Online

Joined: Wed Feb 27, 2013 8:43 am
Posts: 759
Location: Stratford, ON, CA
Hi,

catwk wrote:'Do not mix O/S and data/software/music on the same HDD'.

Excellent advice. Keep things clean, organized and nicely separated. I have never had a HDD fail, but that only means it may still quite likely happen. Windows encourages you to be sloppy. I am always amazed at how many people who use Windows cannot tell you what a directory tree is about. I have no idea how they can get a computer to function. And with all the black-boxing and pop-ups that go on in Windows, the MS software machine is clearly in charge most of the time.

Cheers,
David Neice

_________________
Chinese Proverb: 'Man who waits for roast duck to fly into mouth, waits very, very long time'.


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 162 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 7, 8, 9, 10, 11

All times are UTC - 8 hours


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
Powered by phpBB® Forum Software © phpBB Group