Canuck Audio Mart Hifi and Audio ForumCanuck Audio Mart Hifi and Audio Forum
It is currently Fri Dec 15, 2017 1:55 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

PostPosted: Sat Jan 28, 2017 1:05 pm 
Parts & Repair/Sponsor

Hi I am setting up a new pi 3 model b with hifiberry DAC and would like to use it to play music wirelessly. I have tried both Volumio and Max2play software and can connect without issue via Ethernet but not with wifi. The wifi is working with raspian OS. Anyone had success connecting with wifi using these programs or another?

PostPosted: Sat Jan 28, 2017 2:36 pm 

Moode should work with RPI3 and wifi:
http://moodeaudio.org/
http://moodeaudio.org/docs/relnotes.txt

Quote:
======================
2.6 Release 2016-06-07
======================

New features

- NEW: Support for Raspberry Pi 3
- NEW: moodeOS 1.0 J-Lite factored for Moode Audio Player
- NEW: WiFi automatic Access Point (AP) mode for direct connection

PostPosted: Sat Jan 28, 2017 3:20 pm 

Picoreplayer also although it's squeezelite based rather than MPD.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 28, 2017 4:46 pm 

Just had the first go at mine this week, wifi ok in Raspbian, Volumio did not boot correctly (maybe because of bad image or the digi+ pro board) but Moode worked well, wifi setup was easy enough.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 12, 2017 12:14 am 

The Nostalgia Co wrote:
Hi I am setting up a new pi 3 model b with hifiberry DAC and would like to use it to play music wirelessly. I have tried both Volumio and Max2play software and can connect without issue via Ethernet but not with wifi. The wifi is working with raspian OS. Anyone had success connecting with wifi using these programs or another?

I found that there does seem to be some sort of WiFi issue using either Moode or Volumio. While I tend to prefer Moode, Volumio seemed more stable supporting WiFi. What I encountered was that: I wished to control Pi using an iPad and that would work on startup quite reliably.
Making sure that the iPad was on and listening/looking for the Pi, when the Pi finished starting up I could browse to some files, then add them to the playlist and play them. The sound is quite good as I am using the HiFiBerry DAC.

But that is about when the WiFi goes into what I think of as failure mode. If I try to do anything it will cause the iPad to start seeking for the connection again. The balls will roll in that little circle endlessly. Nothing I have found will recover it.

Because there is no keyboard or ethernet cable connected, at this point I am stuck. The music will continue playing until it runs out of files, or forever if set to play forever. The only solution I have is to plug in an ethernet cable which will make the Pi accessible to a browser which can then shutdown, or whatever.

I have my Pi3/DAC mounted in a steel HiFiBerry case which looks nice but seems to be shielding the WiFi antennae, which is a very small unit indeed. Wondering if that was part of this problem, I bench tested and found that the bare Pi didn't seem any better behaved.

Since I want to use this setup in HotSpot mode to control the Pi, I seem to be at a roadblock. The only suggestion made that might resolve this is to use an external USB WiFi dongle. The only unit I have did not correct the problem. I am beginning to suspect that there may be some sort of WiFi problem in the Pi 3 B models.

Perhaps others may know more ?

PostPosted: Wed Apr 12, 2017 2:36 am 

I've slowly been working on a RPI3b and have found this to be very helpful:

https://www.raspberrypi.org/documentati ... iguration/

Collecting vintage tube Pilot (Pilotone) HiFi gear.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 14, 2017 2:02 pm 

larwil75 wrote:
The Nostalgia Co wrote:

I found that there does seem to be some sort of WiFi issue using either Moode or Volumio. While I tend to prefer Moode, Volumio seemed more stable supporting WiFi. What I encountered was that: I wished to control Pi using an iPad and that would work on startup quite reliably.
Making sure that the iPad was on and listening/looking for the Pi, when the Pi finished starting up I could browse to some files, then add them to the playlist and play them. The sound is quite good as I am using the HiFiBerry DAC.

But that is about when the WiFi goes into what I think of as failure mode. If I try to do anything it will cause the iPad to start seeking for the connection again. The balls will roll in that little circle endlessly. Nothing I have found will recover it.

Because there is no keyboard or ethernet cable connected, at this point I am stuck. The music will continue playing until it runs out of files, or forever if set to play forever. The only solution I have is to plug in an ethernet cable which will make the Pi accessible to a browser which can then shutdown, or whatever.

I have my Pi3/DAC mounted in a steel HiFiBerry case which looks nice but seems to be shielding the WiFi antennae, which is a very small unit indeed. Wondering if that was part of this problem, I bench tested and found that the bare Pi didn't seem any better behaved.

Since I want to use this setup in HotSpot mode to control the Pi, I seem to be at a roadblock. The only suggestion made that might resolve this is to use an external USB WiFi dongle. The only unit I have did not correct the problem. I am beginning to suspect that there may be some sort of WiFi problem in the Pi 3 B models.

For the OP, if you setup wifi in Raspbian and then use another OS image as a music player you'll need to setup wifi again.

larwil75, how are you trying to connect to the Pi ? You mention the iPad "listening/looking" for the Pi. I simply connect to the web gui. I don't use it much but can see it as being on the network constantly. So here at least wifi is no issue at all. I do connect to the IP as the moode.local naming isn't resolved and I haven't bothered to try and address that.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 14, 2017 5:18 pm 

airdronian wrote:
larwil75 wrote:
The Nostalgia Co wrote:

For the OP, if you setup wifi in Raspbian and then use another OS image as a music player you'll need to setup wifi again.

larwil75, how are you trying to connect to the Pi ? You mention the iPad "listening/looking" for the Pi. I simply connect to the web gui. I don't use it much but can see it as being on the network constantly. So here at least wifi is no issue at all. I do connect to the IP as the moode.local naming isn't resolved and I haven't bothered to try and address that.

Hi Airdronian, I am using the Pi in HotSpot mode, connecting to it with with my iPad. Since my initial message I have removed the Pi from its steel case and mounted it on a board with the Wireless antennae pointing right at my iPad, about 3 feet away. This seems to be more stable and I am now able to get the iPad to reconnect to the Pi after a group of files has played.
I don't actually use typical WiFi as my WiFi access point is in a Shaw Hitron cable modem and lies outside the access point for my LAN. I do have a WiFi router on the inside and it will connect to the Pi without trouble but this router is only engaged when a WiFi device requires access to my LAN, something that is typically not required.
But the HotSpot connection now seems pretty solid and is what I really wanted to use so I am giving up on the nice steel HiFiBerry case (for now) and will see how things go with my board mounting setup.
Usually I connect to the IP address that Volumio puts out for a HotSpot connection, mostly 192.168.211.1 rather than using volumio.local ... this is not an issue though.
THX for your input.
Larry

PostPosted: Fri Apr 14, 2017 9:31 pm 

larwil75 wrote:
Hi Airdronian, I am using the Pi in HotSpot mode, connecting to it with with my iPad. Since my initial message I have removed the Pi from its steel case and mounted it on a board with the Wireless antennae pointing right at my iPad, about 3 feet away. This seems to be more stable and I am now able to get the iPad to reconnect to the Pi after a group of files has played.
I don't actually use typical WiFi as my WiFi access point is in a Shaw Hitron cable modem and lies outside the access point for my LAN. I do have a WiFi router on the inside and it will connect to the Pi without trouble but this router is only engaged when a WiFi device requires access to my LAN, something that is typically not required.
But the HotSpot connection now seems pretty solid and is what I really wanted to use so I am giving up on the nice steel HiFiBerry case (for now) and will see how things go with my board mounting setup.
Usually I connect to the IP address that Volumio puts out for a HotSpot connection, mostly 192.168.211.1 rather than using volumio.local ... this is not an issue though.
THX for your input.
Larry

OK, well I'm glad you're getting better results. We don't have similar applications in terms of access and network. FWIW my Pi is in one of the plastic cases with a Digi+ Pro board. I also don't use an antenna, and am not sure what you mean by pointing your antenna to the iPad. You may want to experiment with antenna alignment. If nothing else, it's cheap !

PostPosted: Fri Apr 14, 2017 10:35 pm 

airdronian wrote:
larwil75 wrote:
THX for your input.
Larry

OK, well I'm glad you're getting better results. We don't have similar applications in terms of access and network. FWIW my Pi is in one of the plastic cases with a Digi+ Pro board. I also don't use an antenna, and am not sure what you mean by pointing your antenna to the iPad. You may want to experiment with antenna alignment. If nothing else, it's cheap !

The Pi 3 B has built in WiFi logic and the antennae is a tiny little chip like device mounted at the opposite end of the board from the USB ports. I think this tiny little antennae is perhaps part of the problem, unfortunately there is no way to utilize a better antennae(s). Close proximity seems beneficial.

I am considering a Latte Panda which is another small single board computer similar to a Pi but with considerably better specs. It uses normal WiFi antennae and comes with a Win10 license so for audio use would support the usual crop of Windows audio applications.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 15, 2017 4:20 am 

Latte Panda looks interesting but I wonder if the Windows 10 OS, makes it too complex. Be interesting if one could boot up just Volumio as a dedicated music OS.

Decware SE84UFO2... Chord 2Qute... Omega SAM's... TEO GC Liquid Cables... Audiosector Integrated... Auralic Aries Femto... Sonore Microrendu... Equi-Core 1200 Power Conditioner... MCRU LPS... Audioquest Dragonfly Red... Zavfino1877 power cord.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 15, 2017 5:02 pm 

milesian wrote:
Latte Panda looks interesting but I wonder if the Windows 10 OS, makes it too complex. Be interesting if one could boot up just Volumio as a dedicated music OS.

The Win10 license would be useful but is not the only way we could run this thing. For instance, I use a minimal footprint Linux called WTFPlay that is compiled to run on several different Intel devices and even a couple of different AMD CPU's. I currently run it on an older 2 core Atom platform and on my big system which is a modern i5 based system. The sound from these two is very good so I anticipate the Latte Panda would also run WTFPlay sending at least ... digital via USB to DAC/AMP. It is new so there may well be add-in boards created that would fill-in some of the gaps.

Volumio is available to run on a PC although I have not tried it yet. I suspect it will be quite good and will essentially be the same as WTFPlay while offering a somewhat more refined player mechanism. I aim to test this product and see if it does measure up, or not.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 15, 2017 6:39 pm 

Daphile is another PC music only OS.