Canuck Audio Mart Hifi and Audio ForumCanuck Audio Mart Hifi and Audio Forum
It is currently Tue Dec 12, 2017 12:26 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

PostPosted: Mon Apr 17, 2017 5:54 am 

Is there an Android app? I don't use Apple

PostPosted: Mon Apr 17, 2017 6:26 am 

The best app to use is Splashtop for personal. This can be used on your tablet or another PC/mac and it's free.

You install Splashtop Streamer on the device you want to remote into. Again it's free for personal use.

Most of all it is secure. The resolution and can be set to automatically change per device...So if you have a phone or tablet it will adjust to best suit the device.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 21, 2017 3:44 am 

The NUC I am looking at has a SSD of 32G. If I use it only for playing music with Foobar (windows 10) and my music is on an external drive, would it be sufficient. The NUC would be dedicated only to music playing.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 21, 2017 3:51 am 

Yes, and it should run very well. I personally use JRiver but I do use foobar for converting DSD or DFF and ISO files to FLAC.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 21, 2017 5:08 am 

I had misread the specs. It says: Intel® NUC Mini PC NUC6CAYS comes complete with Windows® 10 Home preinstalled, 2 GB RAM and 32 GB of on-board storage, not a 32 SSD. Still fine?

PostPosted: Fri Apr 21, 2017 5:44 am 

It's a chip aka ssd... I don't think you can buy a HDD that is only 32gb.

You could always ask their customer service...Online chat or whatever they have to confirm.

Either way you're fine, but I would suggest 8gb of RAM..2 might be too little.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 21, 2017 8:39 am 
Dealer/Sponsor

A used MacBook Air is about $500 and outputs bit perfect near-zero jitter. With any competent DAC, a machine like this will be sonically perfect. The advantages over standalone servers are that it has a great big screen interface, easy wireless if you want to use it, and many remote options. Plus, computers are inherently software upgradeable. How many standalone servers from 3 years ago are still upgradeable today?

PostPosted: Fri Apr 21, 2017 9:00 am 

planetofsound wrote:
A used MacBook Air is about $500 and outputs bit perfect near-zero jitter. With any competent DAC, a machine like this will be sonically perfect. The advantages over standalone servers are that it has a great big screen interface, easy wireless if you want to use it, and many remote options. Plus, computers are inherently software upgradeable. How many standalone servers from 3 years ago are still upgradeable today?

A new ASUS laptop is about $500, outputs bit perfect near-zero jitter, can be used with any DAC and is both software and hardware upgrade-able (unlike a macbook air).

Almost every single standalone sever from the past 5+ years are up-gradable both software and hardware, not sure why you would think otherwise...what do you mean by "standalone server"?

alain59 wrote:
I had misread the specs. It says: Intel® NUC Mini PC NUC6CAYS comes complete with Windows® 10 Home preinstalled, 2 GB RAM and 32 GB of on-board storage, not a 32 SSD. Still fine?

That NUC lists 32GB embeded memory, which means it is built into the board, not an attached drive. You can still add an SSD to that if you would like. As mentioned the 2GB of memory is low (it will still run Win10+audio playback) and you can upgrade to 8GB later if required.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 21, 2017 9:14 am 

If I put the computer to sleep using Splashtop, is there a way to wake it from the tablet?

PostPosted: Fri Apr 21, 2017 1:08 pm 

Personally I'm not a fan of using a laptop as your music server... I could see using the laptop to remote into your server while you sit comfortably on the couch :mrgreen:

PostPosted: Fri Apr 21, 2017 1:27 pm 

alain59 wrote:
If I put the computer to sleep using Splashtop, is there a way to wake it from the tablet?

What OS are you using and post make and model of your computer.

Windows does have a Wake On Lan feature but it is dependent on the hardware you are using…not every PC has this capability. Wake on Wireless Lan (WoWLAN) is a tad bit more complicated and may require registry tweaks if you are comfortable with that. Again, hardware dependent.

An easier solution is to not put the computer to sleep. Within the power configurations you can make adjustments to just turn the monitor off if that is a concern.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 21, 2017 3:11 pm 

I finally got a Dell Optiflex 780 refurbished fron Newegg for $150. I put it in my office which is just beside the room where I listen to music and a 6' usb cable makes it to my DAc. I wanted the computer to be in another room so that I would not have fan noise. It works well.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 21, 2017 4:03 pm 

alain59 wrote:
I finally got a Dell Optiflex 780 refurbished fron Newegg for $150. I put it in my office which is just beside the room where I listen to music and a 6' usb cable makes it to my DAc. I wanted the computer to be in another room so that I would not have fan noise. It works well.

Warning – Careful while navigating within your BIOS, an improper change here could prevent your computer from booting. Proceed with caution and keep track of what you have changed!

During boot while the Dell logo appears press F12 to initiate the Boot Menu. Use your curser keys to select BIOS Setup. Then choose Power Management and enable Remote Wake Up. Apply then exit. If the computer does not boot into Windows, go back into the BIOS, undo what you have changed and call it a day! If the computer boots (and it should) proceed with configuring Windows

Assuming you are using Win 7, press the Windows key + R to bring up the Run Dialog. Type devmgmt.msc to open the Device Manager. Open Network Adaptors and find your Networking Device. Right click and choose Properties, click the Advanced tab and find the option to “Wake On Magic Packet” and enable it. Now choose the Power Management tab and check both “Allow this device to wake the computer” and “Only allow magic packet to wake the computer”

I don’t use Splashtop so here is a link to assist in configuring it to wake your computer. Good luck!

https://support-splashtoppersonal.splas ... iness-WoL-

PostPosted: Fri Apr 21, 2017 4:08 pm 

Thank you very much for your help

PostPosted: Fri Apr 21, 2017 4:17 pm 
Premium User

Simaudio 180 Mind, and plug in a hard drive into a uPNP router and that's it