Canuck Audio Mart Hifi and Audio ForumCanuck Audio Mart Hifi and Audio Forum
It is currently Sun Oct 22, 2017 5:31 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

PostPosted: Sun Apr 30, 2017 4:59 am 

milesian wrote:
I really like the ES9018 DAC so Ordered this to give the IS2 option a try. Just have to figure out the connections.

https://www.ebay.ca/itm/262757959686

Maybe worth starting a new thread for your progress?

Collecting vintage tube Pilot (Pilotone) HiFi gear.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 30, 2017 5:41 am 

milesian wrote:
I really like the ES9018 DAC so Ordered this to give the IS2 option a try. Just have to figure out the connections.

https://www.ebay.ca/itm/262757959686

Yes Graham, it's fun to experiment. Before I got into tinkering with the Pi, quite frankly I wasn't expecting much, boy was I wrong. :D

Graham, have you heard anything about the above dac, or is it just more experiment,....anyway have fun. 8)

PostPosted: Sun Apr 30, 2017 5:54 am 

tardis26 wrote:
Yes Graham, it's fun to experiment. Before I got into tinkering with the Pi, quite frankly I wasn't expecting much, boy was I wrong. :D

Graham, have you heard anything about the above dac, or is it just more experiment,....anyway have fun. 8)

I like what the ES9018 does in the Dragonfly Red, but heard the USB interface on the Pi might not be optimal. The ebay purchase at $17 including shipping seems it might be worth trying. I also ordered a set of Jumper cables to make the wiring easier. Lots of info online on connecting to the I2S pins on the GPIO header. So shouldn't be too bad. I see this DAC board can take up to 24 VDC too. I have a Linear Power Supply that I can use with it, so can skip the power connection to the Pi. Coming from HK it will likely be a long delivery, but will update as things progress.

Decware SE84UFO2 ... Chord 2Qute.... Omega SAM's ... TEO GC Liquid Cables ... Audiosector Integrated... Auralic Aries Femto... Sonore Microrendu... Equi-Core 1200 Power Conditioner ... MCRU LPS... Audioquest Dragonfly Red.8 zavfino1877 power cord.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 30, 2017 9:43 am 

Now if one's soldering skills are decent, this circuit board and a few jumper wires will get you the latest and greatest ES9038 Pro. Interesting and tempting.

http://www.diyinhk.com/shop/audio-kits/ ... h_dac_chip

Decware SE84UFO2 ... Chord 2Qute.... Omega SAM's ... TEO GC Liquid Cables ... Audiosector Integrated... Auralic Aries Femto... Sonore Microrendu... Equi-Core 1200 Power Conditioner ... MCRU LPS... Audioquest Dragonfly Red.8 zavfino1877 power cord.

PostPosted: Thu May 04, 2017 10:12 am 

Update: I have been running the Raspberry Pi 3B for a couple of weeks now. I don't regret my purchase at all as I use it for different projects. I am looking at seeting it up with a DAC now. I use Volumio wich I wasn't sure I liked at first, maybe it wasn't complicated enough. I have also been using OSMC which works really good for the price ;) I play the Raspberry Pi connected to my Marantz through HDMI and to me it sounds good. I don't really need a DAC but I want to try it see if I find a difference. I have set up a SD card for retropie an have played some retro games as well. I have 3 Apple TV and 2 Roku in the house, if I would have know before that all I need is a PI. I like it so much I have ordered a PI Zero to experiement some more.

PostPosted: Thu May 11, 2017 4:14 am 

Been a couple of weeks with the Pi and Dragonfly Red combo, and have to say there's enough sound quality here to keep most music lovers happy. Good news is that apart from a few little quirks, I'm happily play Tidal Flac on Volumio, and interestingly when I linked the setup to the music on my Sony HAPZ1ES, it actually recognized my Sony playlists. I also tapped into the 5 volt outputs on my Linear Power Supply, so the Pi sounds even more dynamic. All very cool.

PostPosted: Fri May 19, 2017 2:40 am 

Just out of curiosity I booted up Volumio on an old Core 2 Duo laptop. Since it has an ssd and 4gb of ram, I figured it would outperform the Raspberry. Still evaluating but so far so good. Nothing permanent either, take out the sd card, reboot and windows is back.

PostPosted: Fri May 19, 2017 3:28 am 

I did the same with a Zotac mini PC, booted via USB stick. Everything worked out fine using a USB DAC. This is using Volumio for PC.

You could use any PC as long as you are able to boot via USB or SD card if your PC has one. 8)

PostPosted: Fri May 19, 2017 3:35 am 

tardis26 wrote:
I did the same with a Zotac mini PC, booted via USB stick. Everything worked out fine using a USB DAC. This is using Volumio for PC.

You could use any PC as long as you are able to boot via USB or SD card if your PC has one. 8)

Any impressions on subjective improvement using a more potent platform? I was playing some Tidal Flac on it this morning using the Bubble upnp and Lumin interface. Sounded pretty good, but I'm not so good at AB comparisons. Problem too is that when I close the lid on my laptop it goes to sleep, and I'm trying to keep everything low profile.

PostPosted: Fri May 19, 2017 3:51 am 

Difficult to say, my feeling is on either platform, whether using a PI or PC it pretty much comes down to the DAC you use.

When ever I switched DAC's between Schiit Modi Uber and IFI Nano and IQaudio, the sound signature changed slightly, all this while using Volumio.

So I think it comes down to the DAC you use. Anyway that's just my subjective opinion.