Canuck Audio MartCanuck Audio Mart
It is currently Wed Nov 26, 2014 3:00 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

PostPosted: Wed Dec 14, 2011 2:12 pm 

I had to giggle a bit while writing the subject line...title sounds kinda Phallic I know...but then again I like bathroom humor. Anyway, I know nothing about computer based music & transferring and plan on sticking it out with Cd's & records as long as I can...apparently I seem to be going backwards by entering the vinyl arena recently. So I was wondering if any of you burn your Vinyl onto CD...if so, what software are you using & how does it sound? and what have your impressions been so far...I'd prefer trusting my music collection to a Cd library rather than a hard drive given the choice.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 14, 2011 2:18 pm 

Jack Rips

PostPosted: Wed Dec 14, 2011 2:38 pm 

I have ripped several albums at 24/96 and they sound fantastic...I go directly from my phono stage to my audiophile 192 soundcard. I haven't owned a cd player in several years...
byron

PostPosted: Wed Dec 14, 2011 2:44 pm 

I've been ripping vinyl for several years. These days I don't bother with CD, just rip to hdd at 24/96. Recording through an ASIO api is the best improvement I've heard recently on the digital side of things. On the analogue end, clean vinyl and a well set up kit is essential. Declicking and track breaks are done with Wave Corrector PE. These must be done manually.....very time consuming. It's a good way to quit smoking.

~ Clarke's 3rd Law

PostPosted: Wed Dec 14, 2011 3:03 pm 

ripblade wrote:
I've been ripping vinyl for several years. These days I don't bother with CD, just rip to hdd at 24/96. Recording through an ASIO api is the best improvement I've heard recently on the digital side of things. On the analogue end, clean vinyl and a well set up kit is essential. Declicking and track breaks are done with Wave Corrector PE. These must be done manually.....very time consuming. It's a good way to quit smoking.

Sounds more like a good way to get back into smoking... :lol:

PostPosted: Wed Dec 14, 2011 3:31 pm 

Shagarello wrote:
ripblade wrote:

Sounds more like a good way to get back into smoking... :lol:
That all depends on if you can smoke and work a keyboard at the same time.....I can't :lol:

~ Clarke's 3rd Law

PostPosted: Wed Dec 14, 2011 4:15 pm 

...once ripped, would you say the analogue characteristic, soundstage, air, imagining of vinyl translate well on Cd or do you lose the open transparent quality. Whenever I've downloaded music off the net to create Cd's...no matter what transfer format I use the music always seem a little 2 dimensional & anemic on my system. I was hoping to get better results with vinyl to CD.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 14, 2011 4:21 pm 

Speedy wrote:
...once ripped, would you say the analogue characteristic, soundstage, air, imagining of vinyl translate well on Cd or do you lose the open transparent quality. Whenever I've downloaded music off the net to create Cd's...no matter what transfer format I use the music always seem a little 2 dimensional & anemic on my system. I was hoping to get better results with vinyl to CD.
I started experiencing that (vinyl 3d) with ASIO. I haven't tried recording to 16/44 since, but dithering down does kill off some of the sweetness.

If you're experiencing it with redbook sources, maybe the issue is with the burner or the blanks?

~ Clarke's 3rd Law

PostPosted: Wed Dec 14, 2011 4:24 pm 

ripblade wrote:
Speedy wrote:
I started experiencing that (vinyl 3d) with ASIO. I haven't tried recording to 16/44 since, but dithering down does kill off some of the sweetness.

If you're experiencing it with redbook sources, maybe the issue is with the burner or the blanks?

it's never easy is it..

PostPosted: Wed Dec 14, 2011 4:26 pm 

Speedy wrote:
it's never easy is it..
No, but it's "convenient" :mrgreen:

~ Clarke's 3rd Law

PostPosted: Wed Dec 14, 2011 4:58 pm 

ripblade wrote:
Speedy wrote:
it's never easy is it..

Yeah and they said that about a ''paperless future" too...now look at us, we can't live without some convenient gadget making connivence out of connvience...hell, email is like another chore I have to do at the end of the day...and if I don't right away my friends think I'm angry at them. I'm only 41 but all this bit rate, lossless, Flac crap makes the idea of getting my ass off the chair to flip a record seem all that more inviting...like the olden days when us farts had to change the T.V channel by hand...then again I do rememebr loving the little square brown box with white push buttons with a long chord attached to the television that changed the channels for us...who knew we'd end up here? Now I just need a few peckerheads to preach the tales & virtues of the "golden days" too...the chickens don't really care :)

But I do LOVE my Cam time :)

PostPosted: Wed Dec 14, 2011 5:13 pm 

Speedy wrote:
ripblade wrote:
Speedy wrote:
it's never easy is it..

Yeah and they said that about a ''paperless future" too...now look at us, we can't live without some convenient gadget making connivence out of connvience...hell, email is like another chore I have to do at the end of the day...and if I don't right away my friends think I'm angry at them. I'm only 41 but all this bit rate, lossless, Flac crap makes the idea of getting my ass off the chair to flip a record seem all that more inviting...like the olden days when us farts had to change the T.V channel by hand...then again I do rememebr loving the little square brown box with white push buttons with a long chord attached to the television that changed the channels for us...who knew we'd end up here? Now I just need a few peckerheads to preach the tales & virtues of the "golden days" too...the chickens don't really care :)

But I do LOVE my Cam time :)

Man, Speedy, 41 and you're already a crotchety old bastard..I only got a few years on ya, and it hit me around the same time too i think :)
Anyway...computer audio is super-convenient IMO...however, I have owned computers since the mid-80s, and programmed from around the same time, so I guess it's a little more 'natural' to me.

That makes me think - it's all easy for us computer savvy folks to point people to various websites and other instructions to do this or that. However, perhaps this is a topic that could be spoken about at some sort of CAM event...all things computer/audio related could be discussed, and demonstrated...

Anyway, maybe I will start another thread about this...
byron

PostPosted: Wed Dec 14, 2011 5:38 pm 

"Man, Speedy, 41 and you're already a crotchety old bastard..I only got a few years on ya, and it hit me around the same time too i think :)
Anyway...computer audio is super-convenient IMO...however, I have owned computers since the mid-80s, and programmed from around the same time, so I guess it's a little more 'natural' to me.

That makes me think - it's all easy for us computer savvy folks to point people to various websites and other instructions to do this or that. However, perhaps this is a topic that could be spoken about at some sort of CAM event...all things computer/audio related could be discussed, and demonstrated...

Anyway, maybe I will start another thread about this...
byron"

...that's a great idea, helps us crotchety old bastards get up to speed, more hands on & less reading...that's the thing about life...once you've been around the same damn block too many times one tends to figure out the game then gets pissed off about being so damn stupid for soo long...it's inherent to our kind.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 14, 2011 6:38 pm 

41?

I've got socks older than that!

del Sol

PostPosted: Wed Dec 14, 2011 7:00 pm 

Ok stop with age thing...my back hurts constantly, I smell burn toast at least once a day and me & the pups get dizzy watching records spin...that can't be good.