Canuck Audio Mart Hifi and Audio ForumCanuck Audio Mart Hifi and Audio Forum
It is currently Sun Oct 22, 2017 2:16 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

PostPosted: Sat Feb 05, 2011 5:14 am 

Hi; Just had a new Audigy SE sound card installed,now what settings do I use for streaming audio and listening to c.d.'s on my computer,(Sampling Rate-44.1KHZ,48KHZ,96KHZ?),(Bit Depth-16BITS,24BITS?) Thanks.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 05, 2011 8:19 am 

Huck wrote:
Hi; Just had a new Audigy SE sound card installed,now what settings do I use for streaming audio and listening to c.d.'s on my computer,(Sampling Rate-44.1KHZ,48KHZ,96KHZ?),(Bit Depth-16BITS,24BITS?) Thanks.

If it's just through your computer and computer speakers, then it really doesn't matter. Your Computer will output and/down sample based on the gear you have attached to it.

If you have an external DAC and other gear in the chain then you have to configure it to your other gear.
Say your external DAC can handle 24 bits and 96KHZ, then that's what you should configure the sound card to output.
Most of the time music would be down-sampled if your other gear can't handle a specific bit or sampling rate.

Experiment a little, if you don't hear music/sound then check if the bit rate is set right. Sometimes 16 bit stuff might not be passed if set as 24 bit.
It's a been a while since I used a sound card to pass music via a PC computer, so experiment a little, it's not all that difficult to figure out, once you get going.

Last edited by Preda-tech on Sat Feb 05, 2011 8:30 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 05, 2011 8:27 am 

Thanks!

PostPosted: Sat Feb 05, 2011 8:30 am 

If you're listening to ripped cds then I'd use the native sample rate/bit depth to avoid any conversion.

edit ~ I think in most cases the software player will pick the format native to the file anyway, so it doesn't really matter. In the case where you're asked to select the sample rate (such as with cPlay) it's best to use the highest allowable.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 12, 2017 4:24 pm 

After doing to reading up on this subject, I recently started farting around with my settings and finally settled on 32/1764000 as the output resolution on my computer. If I understand correctly, setting the sampling rate at 176.4 when playing a 44.1 file is akin to the resolution of a CD player with 4x oversampling. The difference in sound is really noticeable..the music is much crisper and more detailed, especially in the bass region. The only reason I don't set it to 352.8 (8x oversampling) is that my dac disengages the digital filters at that resolution.

Aaaaand I posted this in the wrong thread.
:lol:

Last edited by bleepedy bloops on Mon Jun 12, 2017 6:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 12, 2017 6:06 pm 

I'd kind of think your playback software would select what's appropriate for playback? Otherwise as Rip suggest 44/16 unless you are downloading hi-res files then you'd match to the file