Canuck Audio Mart Hifi and Audio ForumCanuck Audio Mart Hifi and Audio Forum
It is currently Wed May 23, 2018 8:30 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

PostPosted: Sat May 12, 2018 5:50 pm 

I started with a netbook using iTunes and it was simple and bomb proof. I used Windows XP and had auto updating shutoff for the system software and iTunes. It worked great but I always thought that I could achieve better sound.

JRiver piqued my interest so I went with an ASUS ultra book and Synology NAS. Nothing short of a nightmare. The ASUS would lose the NAS connection everyday and heaven forbid if the computer fell asleep. I think most of the problems was the ultrabook but it was enough for me to purchase an Aurender music player.

The Aurender is out of your price range but others have recommended players that fit your budget. A music player has to have good hardware and good software. The Aurender seems to have both but it isn't perfect. I have never compared it to the netbook/ultrabook setup so I can't comment on the difference in sound.

Since I got back into this hobby I have only streamed music and this is my choice of how I want to play and listen to music. I did try Tidal for 2 months and it is built into the Aurender. It worked fine but not enough for me to pay every month for it. I like owning my media. I like loading up the player and just let it play for hours without any effort on my part.

PostPosted: Sat May 12, 2018 6:03 pm 

DanielS wrote:
Two or three years ago I replaced a MacBook Pro laptop, running Audirvana software, with a Sony HAP-Z1ES music player. Best system upgrade I ever made, not just in terms of bang for the buck but also in overall better sound.

Which DAC did you have for your MacBook Pro? I also have a HAP-Z1ES and although it is pretty good it is not much of an upgrade to my MacMini + K-03... they are just different. One thing I haven't try is using the K-03 as the DAC for the Sony but I am too lazy to haul the Z1ES to my main system.

PostPosted: Mon May 14, 2018 3:39 pm 

The HAP-Z1ES replaced the built-in NOS DAC in my Red Wine Audio Isabella preamp.