Canuck Audio Mart Hifi and Audio ForumCanuck Audio Mart Hifi and Audio Forum
It is currently Thu Apr 26, 2018 4:56 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

PostPosted: Mon Apr 16, 2018 8:02 am 

I love this Dac. I have owned for about 4 years now and use it mostly as an external dac with ny rega Apollo as a transport for cds. I have a fair number of ripped cds and Spotify on my Mac book Pro. Recently I changed to the latest operating system Sierra that Apple sent me. Now i am unable to find the USB drivers for the Chord. I have contacted Chord Electronics and have been told that this new operating system will not support their drivers. I could use an optical cable from the dac to the Mac but not sure if the sound quality is the same. The other option is an adapter to go from usb to coax. I am not happy. Any help?

PostPosted: Mon Apr 16, 2018 11:04 am 

WOW, that sucks! Quick Google shows you are not alone with this problem. And if Chord is not willing to update the drivers I’d say you are SOL. You can roll back your OS to the previous working version. Not sure how you feel about that, if the computer is used for anything other than music it may not be a good idea for the update would have incorporated new security measures. Outside of that I guess you are stuck with either a TOSLINK connection or a USB/SPDIF converter. There are a few here on CAM that claim a USB/SPDIF converter sounds better than straight USB so you may come out for the better.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 16, 2018 11:24 am 

Yes it does suck. I,m not done with Chord" I would expect them to do something for their customers. I blame Apple as well. May consider trying to go back to my old operating system. The MAC is really only used for mail and the music. I see a lot of Toslink cables on CAM. Is this a drop in sonics vs the USB?

PostPosted: Mon Apr 16, 2018 11:28 am 
Premium User

I had good luck with the M2Tech and W4S USB/SPDIF converters and they were affordable to purchase used.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 16, 2018 11:32 am 

Hi Canisbay,

I'm aware of that problem as many of my clients asked me what to do.
I will write down a new compatible driver for Mac.

However, I'll write it for High Sierra (not Sierra).
Should be done by this summer. I'll pm you if you want to try it.
(free, of course)

PostPosted: Mon Apr 16, 2018 12:14 pm 

canisbay wrote:
Yes it does suck. I,m not done with Chord" I would expect them to do something for their customers. I blame Apple as well. May consider trying to go back to my old operating system. The MAC is really only used for mail and the music. I see a lot of Toslink cables on CAM. Is this a drop in sonics vs the USB?

For the low price of a TOSLINK cable it is well worth trying out. On paper USB is the superior connection, but there are way too many factors at play here that could sway the preference to either method.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 16, 2018 12:45 pm 

I am using Toslink from my Mac mini to dac as the length makes it a better choice. Have used USB and have not noticed a deterioration in sound quality since going Toslink.
I believe it is limited to 16/44 though but I only have a few files in high rez.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 16, 2018 1:44 pm 

I am not sure if I can Use Toslink cable with my MacBook Pro without an adapter and going from the headphone jack which I am already using for powered speakers.There is a port that looks like a normal Toslink but I believe it is a Thunderbolt connection which isn't for audio. I do not have a Toslink cable handy to try. Thanks Nakamichi for the generous offer. A bit frustrated that Chord has not figured this out yet.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 16, 2018 1:55 pm 

Don’t know how old your MacBook is but perhaps this will help determine if it employs TOSLINK

https://www.macrumors.com/2016/11/04/ne ... audio-out/

PostPosted: Mon Apr 16, 2018 1:57 pm 

canisbay wrote:
...A bit frustrated that Chord has not figured this out yet.
It's not Chord fault, though...
Apple doesn't share the first layer code of their kernel. Chord (or any other company) could easily write a new driver.
But without having the exact layer, they can't guarantee full compatibility. Therefore, they won't release a new driver anytime soon.

I can't tell how I do my drivers, but I can tell that it takes times...

PostPosted: Mon Apr 16, 2018 2:15 pm 

Dump the MAC, pick up a Raspberry Pi for $50. Load up Volumio. Plug the Chord into the Pi, and stream Spotify and your ripped files to your heart’s content. Airplay Tidal too if you wish. All controllable via any web browser.