Canuck Audio Mart Hifi and Audio ForumCanuck Audio Mart Hifi and Audio Forum
It is currently Sun Sep 23, 2018 6:22 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

PostPosted: Tue Jan 09, 2018 5:43 pm 

Pneumonic wrote:
Chromecast Audio from an objective perspective ....

http://archimago.blogspot.ca/2016/02/me ... audio.html

Yeah, so this is consistent with my impressions of it as a streaming device for source material that you get with Spotify. Not bad at all for $40 or so....

PostPosted: Tue Jan 09, 2018 6:24 pm 

An interesting question indeed. I'll share my experience with you and some of my thoughts.

First, I'd probably buy an adapter to connect the Chromecast to the rear of the unit, instead of having unsightly wires on the front of the unit. Having owned a 316, and others with this option, I love the 3.5mm audio jack in the front of the unit. My Rotel and my Cambridge don't have this, and I wish everything had it. Great for plugging a friends phone in during a party, or whatever! But, for permanent use, I'd probably want to have it tucked away!

Secondly, I don't own a Chromecast Audio... But, as a workaround with my normal CC hooked to my TV, I often cast audio to this device, and have my TV hooked up from the line out (I know not all TVs have this) from the TV to my integrated. Since I'm mostly a vinyl guy as well, the potential quality loss from Cast to TV to a longer RCA into my integrated doesn't really bother me. As this is mostly for convenience. Plus, then any source, TV, Blu Ray, Chrome can all be used with my stereo for much much better sound.

So, if he has a TV nearby, and likes to cast, netflix, youtube, what have you, it could serve as this purpose as well. I contemplated getting a standalone audio cast, but when checking out prices for regular Chromecasts vs Audio only, I felt better buying one that can also do video. Not sure if the audio ones sound better? Would probably depend on the source!

Hope this is helpful!

PostPosted: Tue Jan 09, 2018 6:32 pm 

VegliaAudio wrote:
Pneumonic wrote:
Chromecast Audio from an objective perspective ....

http://archimago.blogspot.ca/2016/02/me ... audio.html

Wow, a new reading treasure chest! Thanks for this link!

+1

PostPosted: Tue Jan 09, 2018 8:04 pm 

A good option could be the Audioquest Bettle.
Has input for Bluetooth , Toslink and USB
Covers a good number of input choices, have not tried one myself but is on my list for exactly what you are trying to achieve.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 10, 2018 12:01 pm 

bbsupersport wrote:
My post is to ask, what is the best (audio quality wise) way to connect the Chromecast Audio to the C316BEE. The back panel has only analog inputs (RCA), however on the front panel is a 3.5mm stereo input labeled "MP" for Media Player. Would it be better to buy a 3.5mm to 2 RCA male to male stereo cable for plugging into one of the back panel analog inputs, or use the supplied Stereo 3.5mm analog audio cable and plug into the "Media Player" input on the front panel?

I believe the best way would be to connect the Chromecast to a HDMI to digital adapter and then connect the coax output from the adapter to a DAC. I am in the process of connecting my Chromecast to my sound system using this method. I have ordered an adapter ($20) from eBay. You can also connect the HDMI output from the adapter to the TV if you want video as well.

bbsupersport wrote:
Also, would it be possible to upgrade the Chromecast's abilities by inserting an Audioquest Dragonfly DAC into the chain? (My other son has one that he doesn't use). If so, can it be connected to the iPhone using a "Lightning to USB Camera Adapter" or similar aftermarket cable? And then plug the Chromecast into the Dragonfly using the supplied male to male Stereo 3.5mm cable.

Not sure if it would work connecting the Chromecast stereo output (analog) to the Dragonfly that is looking for a digital input; at least without a lot of messing around. Apparently you can connect an optical cable via an aftermarket connector to the Chromecast and presumably you can then connect that cable to the Dragonfly somehow.

My understanding is the audio signal you extract from HDMI would be uncompressed and connection to the DAC using a coax cable would be better than using an optical cable.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 10, 2018 1:14 pm 

If one does not have a TV why convolute the connection. Chromecast audio to either a TOSLINK equipped DAC or RCA/3.5mm analog connection. Doubt very much that HDMI to adaptor to COAX to DAC would sound better than a straight TOSLINK into the same DAC. Now if you can benefit from Chromecast video then knock your socks off with HDMI!!

PostPosted: Wed Jan 10, 2018 2:14 pm 

I use 3 Chromecast audio devices in my systems thru out the home. For the money...they rock and are easy to use.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 10, 2018 2:51 pm 

I use a mygica, similar technology through a shitt modi 2. Have for a couple of years quite happy with the results T

PostPosted: Wed Jan 10, 2018 2:53 pm 

In theory, coax avoids the conversion from electrical signals to light and back. There are no shortage of debates on the internet about the merits of both and I am not interested in getting into that can of worms here. Using my Oppo 93 as a transport into my Cary DAC 200 TS DAC, I definitely notice coax sounding quieter and more natural than TOSLINK. Whether or not it makes a difference on Chromecast, I will know once I get the $20 HDMI to digital adapter I ordered from eBay as it supports both digital interphases.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 10, 2018 6:38 pm 

the quality of toslink cable makes a big difference. but in the context of cheap systems not necessarily expensive, and an outboard dac i suspect would make a big improvement.

! got a mydac for my sister along with a monoprice toslink cord (their 'hi end' one) and its pretty good, (get the longest you can get- its better than short, i tried various lengths)

im not sure how good/bad the chromecast audio outs are, but i cant imagine this woudnt be better. (she has it hooked straignt to her tv.)

A moon 100d is not much money when they pop up and i cant imagine it not walking all over the chromcast for just a little dough.

(or a blue circle thingee with toslink , not to metion the old r2r dacs, the adcom gcd6/700, aragon d2a mk2, etc. if hi rez isnt a bg deal.
cheap and very decent, and back when the objects of lust...

im tthinking of getting a chromecast so this thread is timely. thank you!

PostPosted: Thu Jan 11, 2018 4:13 am 

HiFiholic wrote:
In theory, coax avoids the conversion from electrical signals to light and back. There are no shortage of debates on the internet about the merits of both and I am not interested in getting into that can of worms here. Using my Oppo 93 as a transport into my Cary DAC 200 TS DAC, I definitely notice coax sounding quieter and more natural than TOSLINK. Whether or not it makes a difference on Chromecast, I will know once I get the $20 HDMI to digital adapter I ordered from eBay as it supports both digital interphases.

You are correct that coax SPDIF does avoid conversion from electrical to light. Won’t get into the pros and cons of each interface but if your concern is to avoid degradation from signal conversion keep in mind that you are doing just that with HDMI to SPDIF. HDMI is a packet based stream that reconstructs the data and adds the needed clocking at the receiving end. SPDIF is a constant stream of said frequency that relies on a steady clock from the transmitting end. The signal can be relocked at the receiving end (DAC) but this is only effective to a certain degree. Clear case of garbage in, garbage out (this also applies to TOSLINK). So in your case by converting HDMI to SPDIF (both Coax and TOSLINK), your DAC will still be reliant on the quality of the clock of the $20 converter which technically could degrade the signal even more so than a straight TOSLINK connection. In fact it is well documented that many HDMI interfaces can add an extreme amount of jitter noise to the signal – more so than a poorly implemented SPDIF interface. The measurements within the Archimago’s link displays the Chromecast Audio is pretty darn good for a $40 streaming device.

No discredit to your execution - if this is the only way a Chromecast Video can be applied to your system then roll with it. But, IMHO, I wouldn’t call it the best way. If video is not needed, save yourself a bit of coin by purchasing the Chromecast audio and avoid the HDMI converter. I bet it would sound better!

PostPosted: Thu Jan 11, 2018 7:02 am 

bbsupersport wrote:
sthomas1049 wrote:
Audioquest sells a couple of relatively inexpensive 3.5mm to RCA cables if interested. Take Five Audio also has a couple in their lineup but at more than double the cost.

I've used both Audioquest & Take Five Audio cables, and like both. In this case, I would prefer the least expensive of the two.

Thanks again!

I'm using the Audioquest "Tower" rca to 3.5mm for a small bedroom setup and it's fine for what it is - no nasties but not a hifi award winner. Costs about $30. I bet the Cinnamon would be better but it's $100.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 11, 2018 1:25 pm 

hollinger wrote:
bbsupersport wrote:
sthomas1049 wrote:
Audioquest sells a couple of relatively inexpensive 3.5mm to RCA cables if interested. Take Five Audio also has a couple in their lineup but at more than double the cost.

I've used both Audioquest & Take Five Audio cables, and like both. In this case, I would prefer the least expensive of the two.

Thanks again!

I'm using the Audioquest "Tower" rca to 3.5mm for a small bedroom setup and it's fine for what it is - no nasties but not a hifi award winner. Costs about $30. I bet the Cinnamon would be better but it's $100.
I was just looking at that cable on their website! That's probably the one I'm going with.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 11, 2018 2:57 pm 

sthomas1049 wrote:
HiFiholic wrote:

You are correct that coax SPDIF does avoid conversion from electrical to light. Won’t get into the pros and cons of each interface but if your concern is to avoid degradation from signal conversion keep in mind that you are doing just that with HDMI to SPDIF. HDMI is a packet based stream that reconstructs the data and adds the needed clocking at the receiving end. SPDIF is a constant stream of said frequency that relies on a steady clock from the transmitting end. The signal can be relocked at the receiving end (DAC) but this is only effective to a certain degree. Clear case of garbage in, garbage out (this also applies to TOSLINK). So in your case by converting HDMI to SPDIF (both Coax and TOSLINK), your DAC will still be reliant on the quality of the clock of the $20 converter which technically could degrade the signal even more so than a straight TOSLINK connection. In fact it is well documented that many HDMI interfaces can add an extreme amount of jitter noise to the signal – more so than a poorly implemented SPDIF interface. The measurements within the Archimago’s link displays the Chromecast Audio is pretty darn good for a $40 streaming device.

No discredit to your execution - if this is the only way a Chromecast Video can be applied to your system then roll with it. But, IMHO, I wouldn’t call it the best way. If video is not needed, save yourself a bit of coin by purchasing the Chromecast audio and avoid the HDMI converter. I bet it would sound better!

I get your point. I am currently connecting the Chromecast to my TV that has a pair of RCA output. These RCAs are then connected to my Mac preamp and Mac amp. Sound quality is about the same as FM radio. Presumably the DAC in my TV is no worst than the Chromecast Audio DAC. When I get my adaptor, I will be able to connect the Chromecast to a $4,000 DAC and A/B Toslink vs coax. I figure the learning experience is worth the $20 I spend on the adapter. One of the main reasons for the adapter is that I have a Chromecast not Chromecast Audio. It does not come with an audio output, but it allows me to stream video such as YouTube. Life if full of trade offs :laugh:

PostPosted: Thu Jan 11, 2018 5:08 pm 

Well I ordered the Chromecast Audio today. Couldn't locate one in a brick & mortar, so bought one online. The quickest to ship with free shipping was Indigo.ca of all places! It should be here Monday. I'll stop by Trutone and pick up that Audioquest Tower 3.5mm to 2 x RCA cable on Tuesday. So, should be up and running mid-week, next week.
Thanks for all the help and suggestions. I'll report back when all is said and done.