Canuck Audio Mart Hifi and Audio ForumCanuck Audio Mart Hifi and Audio Forum
It is currently Fri Nov 17, 2017 9:42 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: MIDI Madness
PostPosted: Mon Nov 06, 2017 9:43 am 

So after updating my MacAir laptop with the usual Apple updates, my laptop would no longer 'recognize' my DAC.

I tried removing USB cable, using different USB port, deleting midi and reinstalling, tried shutting down and rebooting computer with DAC hooked up, not hooked up, on, off, different usb cable, port and finally tried a different DAC ... that it recognized no problem.

Then switched in the new DAC and it happily recognized that ....

I'm just about ready to chuck it all again.

I'm so peeved with technology and the garbage that both Apple and PC's demand we accept at huge costs in time and money.

99% of the crap programs on my computer I will never use. I spend 99% of my time fixing those crap problems caused by those crap updates. No way to delete or shut them off, the Nazis at Apple DEMND I do those updates and keep popping reminders every day that it be done.

Resistance is futile!

End of rant.

Post subject: Re: MIDI Madness
PostPosted: Mon Nov 06, 2017 10:14 am 

I feel for you. I am probably the least tech savvy person here on CAM. I've been using Apple computers ever since my only PC developed 600 or so viruses and after returning from the shop gave up the ghost a few months later. I went out and bought an iMac and for 12 years never I had problems (until now) iTunes newest version has screwed up my music files, only my various artist or compilation files are effected. I can play the files on the computer but I can't stream them to my dac. All my other music files are in black lettering but the afflicted files are muted grey. I'd like to revert back to the last version of iTunes, if that's possible. I'm never going to update iTunes again until I'm sure it won't compromise my files. That's my rant for today.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 06, 2017 10:26 am 

I suggest we start a Luddite Chapter. It will be done by computer.
No one will ever figure it out.
As for least tech savy person, I resemble that remark. We may be in a tie for worst. :roll:

PostPosted: Mon Nov 06, 2017 10:39 am 

Updating before finding out if your DAC is compatible with the new operating system is where you went wrong. I use an Apogee DAC Duet 2 and I'm putting off updating to High Sierra for the moment. I haven't even looked to see if it is compatible.

Try looking on your DAC website and see if they have a new driver/update. Most DAC companies will get an update within a few months ... ummm ... hopefully.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 08, 2017 10:40 am 

Robbie California wrote:
Updating before finding out if your DAC is compatible with the new operating system is where you went wrong. I use an Apogee DAC Duet 2 and I'm putting off updating to High Sierra for the moment. I haven't even looked to see if it is compatible.

Try looking on your DAC website and see if they have a new driver/update. Most DAC companies will get an update within a few months ... ummm ... hopefully.

Aaaaah ... will try that -- thanks.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 08, 2017 10:52 am 

Apple is good. But I would never limit myself to their retail system for music, media and software. EVERYONE is cheaper, Windows, Android etc
My Android phone cannot connect to my email server every time there is an update!

It helps to work in a company with a full time IT guy.