Canuck Audio Mart Hifi and Audio ForumCanuck Audio Mart Hifi and Audio Forum
It is currently Mon Oct 23, 2017 12:45 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

PostPosted: Sat Oct 07, 2017 5:36 am 

There is more to a good A/V suite than just file checking; they also contain better firewalls, website blacklists to block sketchy websites, ransomware protection, heuristic detection etc. Ransomware is the biggest threat these days and it’s everywhere. Our IT company at work had 3 clients infected last week. For the last few years I’ve run Bitdefender with Malwarebytes on my own machines. I think that’s about as good as it gets currently, and Malearebytes has no problem working with traditional A/V. If you look there are still places where you can find lifetime licenses for Malwarebytes.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 07, 2017 7:07 am 

Hitman Pro seems to be highly regarded too. Aside from my AV suite I run Malwarbytes (free - as a second opinion checker) and Hitman Pro.

I actually tried Bitdefender once...seemed to work well but the interface was a little glitchy and just annoyed me too much.

milesian wrote:
Avast, AVG, Windows Defender, lots of free anti virus software available for basic protection. Love that term Computer Glitch. It’s a politician and journalist’s tool to try and blame a computer for a human screw up.

Well, I'm neither a politician or journalist. I've seen software behave a certain way most of the time, so you know that's how it's coded, but then it also behaves differently for whatever reason. Maybe that is human error after all (poor coding), or maybe it's just that computers are far from perfect no matter how well a program is designed. Especially on a platform like Windows where there are many different hardware configurations out there, and tons of different software. Programmers cannot take all of these into account to ensure there aren't ever any conflicts.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 07, 2017 7:13 am 

As stated earlier AV suites are only effective against known code. In the case of the WannaCry Ransomewear Worm, the initial attack was through human intervention of downloading an infected file. This was claimed to be in the form of a Word document that many AV software’s ignored. Once the malware was installed it downloaded encryption software again bypassing the Anti Virus. And because it was a worm, it was able to spread quickly throughout a network without further human interaction.

If your computer has been taken for ransom you are pretty much screwed. It is doubtful that any kind of tech support will be able to crack the encryption in which a format and re-install is your only solution. Cannot stress enough the importance of backing up your important files. And do not ever give into the attackers ransom…you’re wasting your money!

Social Engineering is another massive problem where AV software has little effect.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Social_en ... _(security)

People should also use cation when using online services. A clever attacker could gain access to servers that have lax security such as a restaurant that you order take out from online. With the little information they are able to obtain, they could brute force and or reset other online services such as banking or a cloud service like iCloud. Always use a strong password. Never use the same email address as your banking or cloud service for something like ordering food. And make sure they are not linked for password recovery. Take full advantage of the 2 or 3 step authentication services that Gmail or iCloud provides. It’s a PIA but certainly a lot better than dealing with identity theft!

It is fact that your banking institution is being attacked thousands of times daily. Practically all attacks are off shore and out of the reach of our laws. I have dealt with many breaches and although insurance may cover losses, I have not once seen a conviction.

Isn’t the internet fun?? :D

PostPosted: Sat Oct 07, 2017 9:55 am 

ESET was great when I was pre mac

PostPosted: Sat Oct 07, 2017 10:42 am 

I worked in corporate high level IT for 17 years, just use Windows Defender.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 07, 2017 11:40 am 

SkidRowe wrote:
ESET was great when I was pre mac

Hopefully you are following the same trend and using an AV on your Mac. Do not be fooled into thinking Mac’s are impervious to malware.

Prime example of malicious code being undetected for years and also a excellent example that you should run a AV on a Mac.

http://www.trustedreviews.com/news/frui ... ed-3206576

PostPosted: Sun Oct 08, 2017 5:39 am 

People actually have AV software on their machines???
Just sandbox your browser, don't visit sketchy sites, and don't download files unless you know what you're doing. I don't think I've ever really had a virus, except a single one when I was 7 or 8 and on Kazza, and I've probably downloaded 3 million + media files and software by this point

PostPosted: Sun Oct 08, 2017 6:35 am 

^This

For both my MS and now Apple computers.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 09, 2017 7:26 am 

I think the idea is to layer protection, because no one thing is foolproof. I think sandboxing makes a lot of sense...never really considered it before but I think I'll add it to what I do. Won't ditch the AV software though.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 09, 2017 8:11 am 

Someone once told me that running AV software is like running two OSs simultaneously; one does the actual work while the other oversees and second-guesses everything the first one does. This has got to affect performance in adverse ways.

AV software may be able to protect a machine from malware IF it has all the current definitions, but it can't prevent the kind of damage that running bad or incorrect legitimate code can do....only a disk image backup that boots from an external drive (USB or CD, floppy) will help with that.

Case in point...I tried running Izotope Rx3 on an XPSP2 machine, which Izotope support said should work. It does....for a few minutes....then the screen suddenly goes black. Scary thing is, Windows won't reboot...the computer only keeps restarting, getting no further than the BIOS screen, then restarts again.

What AV software is going to fix that? Slip the Ghost floppy in the drive, reboot to the Ghost app, select the disk image to copy over....5 minutes later it's like nothing ever happened.

I use Norton Ghost but there're more current imaging and recovery progs out there now for free, many with partitioning apps built-in to prep a single hard disk to store a back up image. As a backup strategy, these things are bullet proof....I wouldn't be without one.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 09, 2017 5:23 pm 

unplug your interwebz computing devices and go outside. Problem solved! :lol:

PostPosted: Mon Oct 09, 2017 6:37 pm 

sthomas1049 wrote:
unplug your interwebz computing devices and go outside. Problem solved! :lol:

I'd sooner be fishing but sadly the things are becoming a necessity.