Canuck Audio Mart Hifi and Audio ForumCanuck Audio Mart Hifi and Audio Forum
It is currently Wed Jan 17, 2018 6:38 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: Turntable Dust Bug Arm
PostPosted: Fri Jan 05, 2018 3:12 am 

Hey gents,

Currently using an Audio Technica Dust Bug Arm and planning replacing it with a custom one built out of a defective tonearm.

I cant make up my mind on which brush to attach to the headshell. Tought of a make-up brush tip but not sure. Any thoughts or ideas ?

Thanks for sharing

PostPosted: Fri Jan 05, 2018 4:28 am 

seba007 wrote:
Hey gents,

Currently using an Audio Technica Dust Bug Arm and planning replacing it with a custom one built out of a defective tonearm.

I cant make up my mind on which brush to attach to the headshell. Tought of a make-up brush tip but not sure. Any thoughts or ideas ?

Thanks for sharing

Yeah, don't bother. Adding a 2nd "tonearm" to a table will negatively affect the table sound quality. It could resonate causing more vibrations within the table etc.. Just use one of those record brushes instead.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 05, 2018 4:09 pm 

Musicware4u wrote:
seba007 wrote:
Hey gents,

Thanks for sharing

Yeah, don't bother. Adding a 2nd "tonearm" to a table will negatively affect the table sound quality. It could resonate causing more vibrations within the table etc.. Just use one of those record brushes instead.

Maybe, maybe not, but it's definitely better than using a dust cover to keep the inner grooves free of dust over the 20 minutes or so it takes the styus to reach them.

@seba, I use the Tonar No Static Arm, which does the job for not a lot of coin. You could use the brush head, or make your own, or just use the arm as is. Whatever you use, make sure it doesn't build up static as it sweeps the record.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 05, 2018 4:34 pm 

The Tonar is carbon fiber, and is grounded with a wire to your amp, to both remove dust and eliminate static.
A make-up brush will create static.
The old Dust Bug had a stiff brush and a felt roller. The brush was stiff enough to produce some sound from the grooves. Carbon fiber is not that stiff.
One thing to watch is the overhang, or rather underhang. A slight underhang will keep the brush tracking approximately in time with the stylus. Overhang will make it shoot to the middle of the record, ans too much underhang will cause it to stay at the edge.

Cheers,
Alec

PostPosted: Fri Jan 05, 2018 6:46 pm 

Well... i just pulled the trigger for a dust arm from Amazon for 39.99 no tax and free shipping. A score.
I had one many moons ago but sold it with a table.
Thanks Glenn for your pm and insight.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 06, 2018 9:59 am 

^ No probs, David. Don't forget to heed Alec's advice. On my deck, about 3/8" underhang seems to work well.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 06, 2018 11:23 am 

ripblade wrote:
Musicware4u wrote:
seba007 wrote:
Hey gents,

Thanks for sharing

Maybe, maybe not, but it's definitely better than using a dust cover to keep the inner grooves free of dust over the 20 minutes or so it takes the styus to reach them.

@seba, I use the Tonar No Static Arm, which does the job for not a lot of coin. You could use the brush head, or make your own, or just use the arm as is. Whatever you use, make sure it doesn't build up static as it sweeps the record.

You got that Tonar brush to work? Mine just swerved all the way to the spindle no matter what I did.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 06, 2018 11:48 am 

Thabka folks for the comments.

Will try different brushes and let you guys know. The tonearm is on its way, no clue as of when the project will conclude.

Will touch base soon I hope. In the meantime, suggestions and comments are more than welcome.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 06, 2018 11:48 am 

Thabka folks for the comments.

Will try different brushes and let you guys know. The tonearm is on its way, no clue as of when the project will conclude.

Will touch base soon I hope. In the meantime, suggestions and comments are more than welcome.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 06, 2018 11:51 am 

operafan wrote:
You got that Tonar brush to work? Mine just swerved all the way to the spindle no matter what I did.
Apart from having the correct underhang, combing the bristles so they point against the direction of record rotation (or straight down) helps them to dig into the bottom of the grooves, which not only improves cleaning but helps it to keep tracking properly.