Canuck Audio Mart Hifi and Audio ForumCanuck Audio Mart Hifi and Audio Forum
It is currently Thu Jun 21, 2018 2:02 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

PostPosted: Wed Feb 21, 2018 1:12 pm 

Posting this here as I had previously posted this in the Vintage section. I see much more phono discussion in this section.

Hello,

I am looking for some feedback on the following issue...

I have resurrected an older Garrard Zero 100c TT after toting it around for the better part of 30 years. It was originally fitted with an ADC 230x cartridge which still has the original stylus on it. (I know it is the original one because I have had this TT since it was new!). I took a very close look at the used stylus under a microscope and the diamond tip looks fine but the stylus arm looks like it is covered in a lot of oxidation. The original stylus works fine but I thought I would put an original (new) stylus on the cartridge, so after setting the anti-skating/weight with the original (used) stylus I swapped in the new old stock stylus I found in a small box in a parts bag I kept.

The new stylus sound very similar to the used one with the exception of an extremely pronounced thump through my sound system when the stylus touches or is lifted off a record. If I put the used stylus back on the cartridge no thump. :?:

I have the tonearm set @ 1.5g and the anti-skating is set for an elliptical stylus loaded @ 1.5g. Very easy to set these parameters on this TT btw! :D

I have tried changing the weight and skating to have a heavier (3.0g) and lighter load (0.75g) with no change to the thump. It just seems to be a characteristic of this NOS stylus. @ 0.5g I began to lose the right channel as it became distorted.

Does anyone have any suggestions as to why they act so different? I was going to order a new replacement but am apprehensive until I can identify why this is happening.

Thanks for your help.
Z