Canuck Audio Mart Hifi and Audio ForumCanuck Audio Mart Hifi and Audio Forum
It is currently Mon Jun 25, 2018 1:44 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

PostPosted: Tue Dec 12, 2017 6:28 pm 

I'm looking for a Replacement wool platter mat for my Systemdek IIx turntable.
Does anyone know of a source for an original or have any idea of the appropriate thickness?

PostPosted: Tue Dec 12, 2017 6:50 pm 

Turntable lab inc has felt mats in different colours even as well as other mats that would probably sound better too.
I used to have the IIx that looked like an offshore oil rig back in the late 70s with an SME on it and a grado cartridge. Very cool looking rig!

PostPosted: Tue Dec 12, 2017 6:58 pm 

Is it wool or felt perhaps?

PostPosted: Tue Dec 12, 2017 7:01 pm 

Che Cavolo wrote:

The originals were lambswool, I believe.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 12, 2017 9:27 pm 

I'm a big Systemdek fan, had a llX for a number of years. The mat is indeed lambs wool. Not sure where to find one, wish I could assist there. But it is an opportunity to try other mats, yes. I tried a 3mm cork on mine, and it killed the sound. Whereas cork sounds great on my Thorens. Different platters though, glass on the Systemdek.

onelastime, your Systemdek (oil rig) was the ll, whereas the llX had the more standard veneered plinth. Those oil rigs were pretty distinctive in styling!

Make sure that you put a WANTED ad for the mat on CAM. It's worked for me a few times, and you never know.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 13, 2017 12:55 pm 

Che Cavolo wrote:

Sorry, you're right it is felt.

-- 13 Dec 2017 20:58 --

cyrus wrote:
I'm a big Systemdek fan, had a llX for a number of years. The mat is indeed lambs wool. Not sure where to find one, wish I could assist there. But it is an opportunity to try other mats, yes. I tried a 3mm cork on mine, and it killed the sound. Whereas cork sounds great on my Thorens. Different platters though, glass on the Systemdek.

onelastime, your Systemdek (oil rig) was the ll, whereas the llX had the more standard veneered plinth. Those oil rigs were pretty distinctive in styling!

Make sure that you put a WANTED ad for the mat on CAM. It's worked for me a few times, and you never know.

You're right. I had forgotten. This was not my table but is how it looked with a different arm.

Attachment:
systemdek II.jpg
systemdek II.jpg [ 80.08 KiB | Viewed 565 times ]

I also agree that the cork/rubber one I had switched to was superior sounding to the wool.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 13, 2017 1:10 pm 

Wow....an off-shore oil rig is accurate. Thanks for sharing the pic! :) I have tried various mats on my P6 and found that a Herbie's mat seemed to work best; that might be an option for the Systemdek. Still using the glass platter on my Rega. On my TD-150 MK2 I am still using the factory rubber mat....and I sure seems to be missing something.. the sound is a bit dead. I am using an Origin Live 250 on a Hana Sl, so I think the dead old rubber mat is the culprit. I am going to try a rubber/cork mat I have as a spare. Actually I have 5 spares....turntable mats are like speakers...you just cannot have enough of them!! :lol:

Give a couple of different media a try. As for the felt/wool mat....that was a massive Van-de-Graaf generator for me. There was a significant improvement with all the other mats I used....the wool mat was the worst...by far.

Best of luck in this part of your vinyl journey.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 13, 2017 1:31 pm 

Here's one on needledoctor for $10 USD. Just make sure they ship by mail and not by the guys in brown shorts (customs gougers).

https://www.needledoctor.com/accessorie ... ecord-mats

oops, you can also get one from amazon.ca for $15.

https://www.amazon.ca/TechPlay-Static-t ... ntable+mat

Maybe best to stick with felt if your tonearm doesn't feature adjustable vta...

PostPosted: Wed Dec 13, 2017 2:55 pm 

You can buy wool felt sheets or synthetic wool sheets and make your own.
Double them up for more thickness.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 13, 2017 4:42 pm 

Why would anybody want a wool or felt mat on their TT? Harbors dust and generates static in the vinyl....a recipe for groove damage perfected. I understand that felt mats have a sound, but....

PostPosted: Wed Dec 13, 2017 5:03 pm 

I use a felt mat on my Rega.
Have for years.
No issues at all.
I just clean my lps really well..
Oh yeah..and on my Systemdek transcription table my lps ride on whatever type of original material they used..maybe wool :mrgreen:

PostPosted: Wed Dec 13, 2017 5:13 pm 

Not to derail but my Bryston came with a Delrin platter that doesn't use a mat. The platter has a detent were the LP's label sits so is it possible to use a mat or should I leave it be?.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 13, 2017 5:19 pm 

Leave well enough alone Ken or you will defeat the sound of the delrin making it useless.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 13, 2017 5:38 pm 

KJT1 wrote:
Not to derail but my Bryston came with a Delrin platter that doesn't use a mat. The platter has a detent were the LP's label sits so is it possible to use a mat or should I leave it be?.

No experience with the Bryston TT but will say mats can be more of a personal preference than a guaranteed improvement. If you get the chance to borrow, steal or accept one on loan you should try it and draw your own conclusion.

As for felt – I have to shadow Rip’s comments. Personally I thought they were too much of a hassle, especially static (at least in my environment) which does collects dust.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 13, 2017 5:54 pm 

Wool or felt in general might hold dust and possibly deform over time. However, on a TT with a glass platter (RP3), I tried testing with and without back to back and felt sounded much less "thin".

On a VPI Classic with exposed aluminum platter surface, I am using a Funk Achromat. The theory is that the mat is made of material of identical density to record PVC and therefore will best dissipate energy reflected from the vibrating stylus down into the vinyl maintaining proper energy transfer to allow natural stylus vibration without reflected energy interference. Also, this is aided by tiny hollow tubes in that mat material. Sounds good, adds a few millimetres to the VTA.

Most likely trial and error would prove a wool mat of similar thickness will work best on that glass platter.

For the Bryston delrin I am guessing the acoustic properties are also based on a density match with PVC. Just a bit different than a acrylic platter.

Last edited by racecars on Wed Dec 13, 2017 6:01 pm, edited 2 times in total.