Canuck Audio Mart Hifi and Audio ForumCanuck Audio Mart Hifi and Audio Forum
It is currently Sun Sep 23, 2018 11:08 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

PostPosted: Tue Nov 28, 2017 1:49 pm 

Hey all,

I'm just getting set up with vinyl (yay!), thanks to many of the helpful tips from the CAM community (CAMmunity?). Now that I'm finally up and running with a starter setup, I'm wondering about how to clean and store my records. I'm on a tight budget, so I can get something like a used spin-clean or a brush, but I probably can't afford to go much beyond that right now. I don't have many records at the moment, but I'd like to clean them & keep them in good shape if I can. I'd really appreciate any tips on affordable cleaning methods & materials & I'd love to hear your thoughts on storing records to keep them working well. Thanks!

Last edited by two2the8 on Tue Nov 28, 2017 3:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 28, 2017 2:01 pm 

I would be tempted to try this if I were starting out

https://squeakycleanvinyl.com/products/ ... nyl-mk-iii

In terms of storage - many of us have gone the IKEA route - I use a Besta system - others have used the Kallax set up.

jp

PostPosted: Tue Nov 28, 2017 2:19 pm 

I have used the spin clean. It was better then not using anything, however I still found it a bit lacking. My recommendation would be to use two. One for cleaning, one for rinsing.(with distilled water) Then drying. With regards to storage. Keep then upright in a 12 x 12 cardboard box with the flaps push back and taped on the outside for extra strength. Don't put too many records in one box. Just enough so they support each other but not too many that they are hard to remove and you will be fine.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 28, 2017 3:11 pm 

J. P. wrote:
I would be tempted to try this if I were starting out

https://squeakycleanvinyl.com/products/ ... nyl-mk-iii

In terms of storage - many of us have gone the IKEA route - I use a Besta system - others have used the Kallax set up.

jp

Have you used this one? It seems like it would work pretty well.

OP.
I've only used an Anti-Stat (so similar to the spinclean) It works okay, but after the first record the fluid is dirty and after 10 its filthy and they just start coming out dirty.

On the cheap I think getting 2 spincleans is the way to go. Change fluid a lot and should be pretty good.

Tannoy Mercury 7.4

PostPosted: Tue Nov 28, 2017 3:59 pm 

In regards to your question about the Squeakyclean rcm, they work well. I do own one and after several hundred albums cleaned the only drawback I can report would be contamination of the first cleaned side when it’s flipped back on the cleaning turntable. You can reduce the effect simply by keeping the mat clean, I use a blast or two of compressed air to do this. Keep in mind that the amount is small and easy to remedy with a little care and a clean work environment. I would buy another if the need arose.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 28, 2017 4:21 pm 

I picked up a $10 DD turntable from Kijiji and a table top shop vac and accessory pack from Canadian Tire. Use home brewed cleaning solution.
it works

PostPosted: Tue Nov 28, 2017 4:40 pm 

I use the Squeaky Clean and a shop-vac micro. Works great.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 28, 2017 5:03 pm 

larrym wrote:
I use the Squeaky Clean and a shop-vac micro. Works great.

+1
Well a bucket head actually https://www.homedepot.ca/en/home/p.wet- ... 66690.html

PostPosted: Tue Nov 28, 2017 5:34 pm 

I like that small vacuum.Don't laugh but one day I'm going to make a vacuum assist record brush.I'm tired of every record brush under the sun just pushing the the dirt around before I resleeve it...

PostPosted: Tue Nov 28, 2017 5:39 pm 

two2the8 wrote:
Hey all,

I'm just getting set up with vinyl (yay!), thanks to many of the helpful tips from the CAM community (CAMmunity?). Now that I'm finally up and running with a starter setup, I'm wondering about how to clean and store my records. I'm on a tight budget, so I can get something like a used spin-clean or a brush, but I probably can't afford to go much beyond that right now. I don't have many records at the moment, but I'd like to clean them & keep them in good shape if I can. I'd really appreciate any tips on affordable cleaning methods & materials & I'd love to hear your thoughts on storing records to keep them working well. Thanks!

I am at the same stage as you with my vinyl set up. I am leaning towards the Squeaky Clean and a small shop vac.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 28, 2017 8:58 pm 

I picked up this last week and gave it a try. dish soap and water scrub with a foam brush, hot water rinse and vacuum. great results on restoring some older albums that I wouldn't play.
http://www.canuckaudiomart.com/details/ ... -original/

PostPosted: Wed Nov 29, 2017 5:44 am 

joe mandel wrote:
In regards to your question about the Squeakyclean rcm, they work well. I do own one and after several hundred albums cleaned the only drawback I can report would be contamination of the first cleaned side when it’s flipped back on the cleaning turntable. You can reduce the effect simply by keeping the mat clean, I use a blast or two of compressed air to do this. Keep in mind that the amount is small and easy to remedy with a little care and a clean work environment. I would buy another if the need arose.

I use a second mat that ONLY see's the freshly cleaned side of a record while I'm cleaning the second side.

I use a squeaky clean and highly recommend it. I did purchase a second pickup wand to use for the distilled water rinse finishing step.

-- 29 Nov 2017 08:55 --

DeanerF wrote:

On the cheap I think getting 2 spincleans is the way to go. Change fluid a lot and should be pretty good.

I started with a spin-clean and it does work. Good advice on two and refreshing the fluids frequently. However, at $119 CAD each I think you would do MUCH better by picking up a squeaky clean and cheap shop vac for about the same price (I think I was all in for about $220 CAD or so). Having the vacuum to pick up the fluids makes a huge difference.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 29, 2017 7:14 am 

Buying 2 spin cleans, while a better alternative to one does not make sense cost-wise. Buying a squeaky clean is a better alternative for a better clean & makes more sense although the noise of the shop vac can quickly give someone a headache. While, originally sceptical, I tried out & ended up buying a Okki Nokki record cleaning machine which seems not too loud, quieter than most RCM's & I can do a multitude of records without rattling my head. Getting a good deal on it, I originally thought that I would sell it after a while but after a short time I just love it & won't let it go. I had a problem with it after a while but contacted the distributor, Tri-cell & they quickly remedied it.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 29, 2017 7:54 am 

For a cheap solution, I've procurer a VPI brush which I've connected to a low cost shopvac. I had an old turntable that was srewed to an existing table. I only added a small sync electric motor and the right size Lego wheel to make the table spin at the right speed and torque. Cost was less than 100$.

Attachments:
20171129_104307.jpg
20171129_104307.jpg [ 316.93 KiB | Viewed 1169 times ]
20171129_103806.jpg
20171129_103806.jpg [ 246.38 KiB | Viewed 1169 times ]
20171129_103734.jpg
20171129_103734.jpg [ 214.89 KiB | Viewed 1169 times ]
PostPosted: Wed Nov 29, 2017 2:18 pm 

Haha, @PatRondeau, a lego wheel! That's so cool. As I've been poking around online, I see a lot of people use an old DD turntable for wet cleaning

Thanks for the tips, all. I get the sense that people are really happy with the squeaky clean. It's a bit out of my price range for now, but I'll keep thinking on it.

As for the two spin-cleans, do you think I could get the same mileage out of using one spin-clean? I'm thinking I could do an initial clean in the solution, then empty out the unit and fill with water for a rinse cycle. Thoughts? A bit more labour intensive, maybe, but only a bit I'd guess.

Otherwise, I really like the Groovemaster option, too. I'll keep looking into that.