Canuck Audio Mart Hifi and Audio ForumCanuck Audio Mart Hifi and Audio Forum
It is currently Wed Jan 24, 2018 1:47 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours




Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 74 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Author Message
PostPosted: Wed Nov 22, 2017 11:08 pm 
Offline

Joined: Mon Apr 17, 2017 5:26 am
Posts: 92
Location: Vancouver, BC, CA
@hollinger, I totally see your point. In my case, the P2 I got was a great deal (less than that Planar 1 you mentioned, actually, and it did come with a cartridge, though I'll likely replace at least the stylus on it). It seems like a patient person can definitely snag an old Planar 2 for under retail on the RP1 and for well under retail on the even newer successor to that, the updated P1. The motor & platter are significantly different between the 1 & 2/3 series, I gather, and many suggest that the jump from 1 to 2/3 is worth it. In my case, a used Planar 2 + a new stylus will still come in under the RP1.

Anyway, conceptually the math for me looks like this: if I can pay less and also go up a rung on the Rega ladder at the same time (something I could never afford new), then it's OK with me if the table is older. Most folks here seemed to suggest that the P2 is a more fun starting place, and it seems to age pretty well. A person could just as easily do the math another way, though, and come out just as right. I mean, the P2 I got is now about 40 years old, and the very first thing that happened with it was the anti-skate belt busted. That's not the most fun.

@bumpy & @ripblade, thanks! I think I'll give the Grado a try. Why not?! (Some of the recent deals on the Goldring stuff in the classifieds are appealing, but I think I'll take it slow).

Not to derail this thread, but anyone have cheap mat recommendations for the planar 2? Mine comes with a rubber mat, but it's a bit dodgy (the internet tells me that some of the early Regas used a batch of rubber mats that the company bought from Linn—the markings were ground off, but I can still make out "Linn" on there, faintly). The mat has a distinct bump in one spot that makes for a disappointing wobble. It's like that on both sides. Any thoughts on a suitable replacement?


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
PostPosted: Tue Nov 28, 2017 2:12 pm 
Offline

Joined: Mon Apr 17, 2017 5:26 am
Posts: 92
Location: Vancouver, BC, CA
...and just to follow up & close out this thread, @kid-Vic hooked me up with an ART USB phono plus preamp, so I'm (finally) up and running! And, even though I forgot to account for interconnects, I'm still under budget. Nice. A big thanks to all who have helped out so far, I really appreciate it. Now onto setup and listening :)


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
PostPosted: Tue Nov 28, 2017 2:20 pm 
Offline

Joined: Mon Aug 08, 2016 5:46 pm
Posts: 466
Location: Markham, ON, CA
two2the8 wrote:
@hollinger, I totally see your point. In my case, the P2 I got was a great deal (less than that Planar 1 you mentioned, actually, and it did come with a cartridge, though I'll likely replace at least the stylus on it). It seems like a patient person can definitely snag an old Planar 2 for under retail on the RP1 and for well under retail on the even newer successor to that, the updated P1. The motor & platter are significantly different between the 1 & 2/3 series, I gather, and many suggest that the jump from 1 to 2/3 is worth it. In my case, a used Planar 2 + a new stylus will still come in under the RP1.

Anyway, conceptually the math for me looks like this: if I can pay less and also go up a rung on the Rega ladder at the same time (something I could never afford new), then it's OK with me if the table is older. Most folks here seemed to suggest that the P2 is a more fun starting place, and it seems to age pretty well. A person could just as easily do the math another way, though, and come out just as right. I mean, the P2 I got is now about 40 years old, and the very first thing that happened with it was the anti-skate belt busted. That's not the most fun.

@bumpy & @ripblade, thanks! I think I'll give the Grado a try. Why not?! (Some of the recent deals on the Goldring stuff in the classifieds are appealing, but I think I'll take it slow).

Not to derail this thread, but anyone have cheap mat recommendations for the planar 2? Mine comes with a rubber mat, but it's a bit dodgy (the internet tells me that some of the early Regas used a batch of rubber mats that the company bought from Linn—the markings were ground off, but I can still make out "Linn" on there, faintly). The mat has a distinct bump in one spot that makes for a disappointing wobble. It's like that on both sides. Any thoughts on a suitable replacement?



You have the foundation for a super setup that will please you for years to come. I have tried various mats....and found that a rubber/cork mat worked real well for me. I still have the glass platter. Stay away (far away) from the crappy felt mats. They are an absolute van-de-graaf generator. Way too much static. Some may call me a heretic but right now I am playing my vinyl commando....ya, with nothing between the disc and the glass platter. It really opened up the sound stage. Don't worry too much if the album moves up and down a little bit with your existing mat....there are a lot of albums that play with a warp in them and they sound just fine!

Best wishes and welcome to the vinyl club!!

-- 28 Nov 2017 23:20 --

two2the8 wrote:
@hollinger, I totally see your point. In my case, the P2 I got was a great deal (less than that Planar 1 you mentioned, actually, and it did come with a cartridge, though I'll likely replace at least the stylus on it). It seems like a patient person can definitely snag an old Planar 2 for under retail on the RP1 and for well under retail on the even newer successor to that, the updated P1. The motor & platter are significantly different between the 1 & 2/3 series, I gather, and many suggest that the jump from 1 to 2/3 is worth it. In my case, a used Planar 2 + a new stylus will still come in under the RP1.

Anyway, conceptually the math for me looks like this: if I can pay less and also go up a rung on the Rega ladder at the same time (something I could never afford new), then it's OK with me if the table is older. Most folks here seemed to suggest that the P2 is a more fun starting place, and it seems to age pretty well. A person could just as easily do the math another way, though, and come out just as right. I mean, the P2 I got is now about 40 years old, and the very first thing that happened with it was the anti-skate belt busted. That's not the most fun.

@bumpy & @ripblade, thanks! I think I'll give the Grado a try. Why not?! (Some of the recent deals on the Goldring stuff in the classifieds are appealing, but I think I'll take it slow).

Not to derail this thread, but anyone have cheap mat recommendations for the planar 2? Mine comes with a rubber mat, but it's a bit dodgy (the internet tells me that some of the early Regas used a batch of rubber mats that the company bought from Linn—the markings were ground off, but I can still make out "Linn" on there, faintly). The mat has a distinct bump in one spot that makes for a disappointing wobble. It's like that on both sides. Any thoughts on a suitable replacement?



You have the foundation for a super setup that will please you for years to come. I have tried various mats....and found that a rubber/cork mat worked real well for me. I still have the glass platter. Stay away (far away) from the crappy felt mats. They are an absolute van-de-graaf generator. Way too much static. Some may call me a heretic but right now I am playing my vinyl commando....ya, with nothing between the disc and the glass platter. It really opened up the sound stage. Don't worry too much if the album moves up and down a little bit with your existing mat....there are a lot of albums that play with a warp in them and they sound just fine!

Best wishes and welcome to the vinyl club!!


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
PostPosted: Tue Nov 28, 2017 2:28 pm 
Offline

Joined: Mon Apr 17, 2017 5:26 am
Posts: 92
Location: Vancouver, BC, CA
Thanks @brownslane, you've been a great help!


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
PostPosted: Tue Nov 28, 2017 6:07 pm 
Offline
Moderator
User avatar

Joined: Tue Feb 22, 2005 2:06 pm
Posts: 4967
Location: Montreal, QC, CA
@OP, it's out of your budget range at this time, but it won't hurt to know about it.

Image

For future reference : Herbie's Audio Lab Way Excellent Turntable Mat.


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
PostPosted: Wed Nov 29, 2017 2:59 am 
Offline

Joined: Tue Dec 07, 2004 7:16 am
Posts: 273
Location: Hamilton, ON, CA
two2the8 wrote:
Hey CAM folks, I've done a bit of buying here this year and lurked (and learned!) a bunch from hanging out, but this is my first forum post. Hi!

I've been saving up some cash for a turntable this year so I can listen to the small stack of records that's growing in my living room. I know there are endless threads about what makes a good entry-level turntable, vintage vs. new, etc., and I'm working my way through them... on the whole, I'd prefer to buy new because I like warrantees and return policies, and I like what I've read about the Rega tables. I'm on a limited budget, and my amp (NAD C740) doesn't have a phono stage, so I also need a phono preamp.

Wading through the endless possibilities, at my budget (~$600) it seems like I can head in a couple of different directions: I can buy all the turntable I can get (something like the Rega P1) and pair it with a cheap preamp like the ART DJ-Pre, or I can buy a bit less table (RP-1, for instance) and use the remaining funds to spring for a nicer preamp (maybe the Schiit mani, or the Rega Fono Mini). Any thoughts out there on the merits of one approach over the other?

Thanks for any advice you've got!



Hey T28: If you can find an older Thorens TD-149 (older) or newer TD-160 MKI-to IV (at reasonable cost), it would be MUCH better sounding than the RP-1 ever could. Or, a Systemdek IIX (sprung-model), again in the $200-$300. range, if possible.

I'd first strongly urge you to rethink the entire turntable thing -today's digital (even streaming 128-320 kb/s from respectable sources/stations) sound incredible !
I must inform you I was a serious CD hater from CD's inception (circa 1982) to about the turn-of-the-century when I finally took the digital plunge and began selling off my nearly 2K LP collection -saving my irreplaceable 100 or so, that I have to this day. There was no looking back. Absolutely no regrets .

This entire T/T 'revival' I find odd -there'e no way it compares/competes with even basic steaming digital.

If you wish to indulge, you will discover high noise, less than pristine records (even new) and although vinyl can sound really nice (and engaging -sometimes even fascinating), one soon realizes the enormous shortcomings of the format -noise, Inter-modulation distortion - IMD- and plain old audible distortion, surface noise ( ticks, pops, hiss) potentially poor LF performance/quality (arm/cartridge mis-match) and glaringly impaired performance (SQ) as the tonearm approaches the records end (lead-OUT grooves). Additionally, Rega's are notorious for speed inconsistencies -run too fast.

All of these inherent shortcomings can be impressively minimized by better hardware, but that my friend will cost thousands. A great turntable/arm is the one Marantz commissioned (a German maker?) to manufacture, the TT1? I think. That is a great sounding table/arm -$2K new, $1K used ?

To extract the best from this format, a premium phono-stage (and of course cartridge) is demanded. The resultant SQ can be quite impressive -at a price. And then, unless one has an effective (transparent) sub-sonic filter (in the phono pre-amp), your loudspeakers woofers will be oscillating frantically when/if the record is slightly warped, or a poorly matched arm/cartridge has been (inadvertently) united.
(Ideally, a tonearm/cartridge should be selected in order to achieve a 8-12 Hz. resonance frequency. This is determined by cartridges compliance and effective moving mass of the arm. I have great doubt anyone pays attention to this today).

The list of considerations is near endless with vinyl replay.

If you wish to move forward (with vinyl), also consider (new/used) tables from Revolver ? (I think- NO, I was thinking Project!) or models from re-birthed Technics (Audio Technica). In fact, one of my absolute favourite entry-level tables (from the 1980's) were th Technics "P-Mount" models SB-100? models, even the basic belt-drive from back then. If you find one, the owner should gladly hand it over free of charge. If Technics was smart , they'd re-introduce some o those excellent (sounding) lower priced models. Perhaps there is something out there today comparable that I'm unaware of -a very likely possibility. lol

Sooo, before you invest (upwards of $1K, if not more) when all is said an done, I's strongly recommend to reconsider this entire vinyl/table thing. Do not 'buy-into' the false notion that (regardless of quality) this format somehow offers a magical SQ experience. The format can easily attain the "musical" designation, but how far are you willing to search and invest in both the required hardware and software ?
Finding quality used LP's is simply a shot-on-the-dark undertaking; some may be 'clean' (not-visible by naked eye), while most you can bet will demonstrate noisy 'grooves' and audible distortion -particularly at the records end -the lead out grooves.

May I suggest a nice DAC/Streamer and cables, Sir !

Whatever you decide, Enjoy ...

peter jasz


Last edited by allhifi on Wed Nov 29, 2017 10:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
PostPosted: Wed Nov 29, 2017 2:51 pm 
Offline

Joined: Mon Apr 17, 2017 5:26 am
Posts: 92
Location: Vancouver, BC, CA
Hey @allhifi, I ended up finding a pretty old Rega Planar 2 for a decent price, and with that and a cheap preamp I'm up and running, at least in a basic sense, and I'm pretty happy.

I *really* appreciate your point, though. Getting into vinyl has been SO much more work than I ever imagined. It is really not for the faint of heart. I do think you're right about digital, it can sound really great, and I already have a nice setup for CDs and for HQ streaming (from my own collection & using Tidal) which I really like.

So, why vinyl? Well, you made me think about it a bit. For me, there are a few reasons:


  1. I want to be able to listen to music without using my computer or phone. It happens really often that I go to put on a piece of music and I get sucked into answering emails, checking forums (hi CAM!), social media, etc., and then before I know it the small window of time I had to listen is gone. I do like digital, but I also like being able to decouple my listening experience from my computer when I want/need some downtime. It's earlier this year that I got a CD player again, and it's been helpful.

    An added bonus to a) is that having a collection of CDs (and now records) encourages me to re-listen to the same collection of material. I really like streaming because I can easily search and find new things or things I don't have; I really like not-streaming because it encourages me to listen to a curated bunch of material that much closer. It's nice to have many options, to listen both broadly and deeply.

  2. I like comparing formats, it's really fun to learn how different systems sound.

  3. I have friends who have really great record collections that contain all sorts of pieces (mostly old jazz records) that I could never find/afford online. They've given me some cool records recently, and I really like that we can now swap things with each other.

  4. I REALLY like the folks at my local record store (Highlife Records, represent!). I want to support them, and I think it will make it even more fun for us to chat if I can check out what they're digging on vinyl, too.

  5. I like crate-digging & second-hand shopping. I often find cool CDs this way, and I think it'll be fun to be able to expand into records, too.

  6. I like how a shelf of CDs or records is social. When people come by, they can check it out, and it can start a conversation about music. That's fun. It's something I miss about my days in high school & college: I used to find so much music by just cruising people's CD collections when they were in the bathroom or outside for a cigarette or whatever.

  7. I like gear, and vinyl SURE involves a lot of gear ;)

Anyway, I guess there are a lot of reasons, maybe there are more, too, I dunno. It's been a real headache at times—there's so much to learn!—but I'm really glad to be adding vinyl into the mix. It won't replace digital in my house, not at all, but it does add another fun option.

PS. Lemme know if you ever wanna pass along those last hundred records! I know a guy ;)


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
PostPosted: Wed Nov 29, 2017 10:27 pm 
Offline

Joined: Tue Dec 07, 2004 7:16 am
Posts: 273
Location: Hamilton, ON, CA
two2the8 wrote:
Hey @allhifi, I ended up finding a pretty old Rega Planar 2 for a decent price, and with that and a cheap preamp I'm up and running, at least in a basic sense, and I'm pretty happy.

I *really* appreciate your point, though. Getting into vinyl has been SO much more work than I ever imagined. It is really not for the faint of heart. I do think you're right about digital, it can sound really great, and I already have a nice setup for CDs and for HQ streaming (from my own collection & using Tidal) which I really like.

So, why vinyl? Well, you made me think about it a bit. For me, there are a few reasons:


  1. I want to be able to listen to music without using my computer or phone. It happens really often that I go to put on a piece of music and I get sucked into answering emails, checking forums (hi CAM!), social media, etc., and then before I know it the small window of time I had to listen is gone. I do like digital, but I also like being able to decouple my listening experience from my computer when I want/need some downtime. It's earlier this year that I got a CD player again, and it's been helpful.

    An added bonus to a) is that having a collection of CDs (and now records) encourages me to re-listen to the same collection of material. I really like streaming because I can easily search and find new things or things I don't have; I really like not-streaming because it encourages me to listen to a curated bunch of material that much closer. It's nice to have many options, to listen both broadly and deeply.

  2. I like comparing formats, it's really fun to learn how different systems sound.

  3. I have friends who have really great record collections that contain all sorts of pieces (mostly old jazz records) that I could never find/afford online. They've given me some cool records recently, and I really like that we can now swap things with each other.

  4. I REALLY like the folks at my local record store (Highlife Records, represent!). I want to support them, and I think it will make it even more fun for us to chat if I can check out what they're digging on vinyl, too.

  5. I like crate-digging & second-hand shopping. I often find cool CDs this way, and I think it'll be fun to be able to expand into records, too.

  6. I like how a shelf of CDs or records is social. When people come by, they can check it out, and it can start a conversation about music. That's fun. It's something I miss about my days in high school & college: I used to find so much music by just cruising people's CD collections when they were in the bathroom or outside for a cigarette or whatever.

  7. I like gear, and vinyl SURE involves a lot of gear ;)

Anyway, I guess there are a lot of reasons, maybe there are more, too, I dunno. It's been a real headache at times—there's so much to learn!—but I'm really glad to be adding vinyl into the mix. It won't replace digital in my house, not at all, but it does add another fun option.

PS. Lemme know if you ever wanna pass along those last hundred records! I know a guy ;)



Hi T2-8: Absolutely excellent (A-G) reasons. Very nicely articulated.

Uhh, those last 100 I'll be buried with ! (lol)

pj


-- 30 Nov 2017 06:39 --

two2the8 wrote:
Hey @allhifi, I ended up finding a pretty old Rega Planar 2 for a decent price, and with that and a cheap preamp I'm up and running, at least in a basic sense, and I'm pretty happy.

I *really* appreciate your point, though. Getting into vinyl has been SO much more work than I ever imagined. It is really not for the faint of heart. I do think you're right about digital, it can sound really great, and I already have a nice setup for CDs and for HQ streaming (from my own collection & using Tidal) which I really like.

So, why vinyl? Well, you made me think about it a bit. For me, there are a few reasons:


  1. I want to be able to listen to music without using my computer or phone. It happens really often that I go to put on a piece of music and I get sucked into answering emails, checking forums (hi CAM!), social media, etc., and then before I know it the small window of time I had to listen is gone. I do like digital, but I also like being able to decouple my listening experience from my computer when I want/need some downtime. It's earlier this year that I got a CD player again, and it's been helpful.

    An added bonus to a) is that having a collection of CDs (and now records) encourages me to re-listen to the same collection of material. I really like streaming because I can easily search and find new things or things I don't have; I really like not-streaming because it encourages me to listen to a curated bunch of material that much closer. It's nice to have many options, to listen both broadly and deeply.

  2. I like comparing formats, it's really fun to learn how different systems sound.

  3. I have friends who have really great record collections that contain all sorts of pieces (mostly old jazz records) that I could never find/afford online. They've given me some cool records recently, and I really like that we can now swap things with each other.

  4. I REALLY like the folks at my local record store (Highlife Records, represent!). I want to support them, and I think it will make it even more fun for us to chat if I can check out what they're digging on vinyl, too.

  5. I like crate-digging & second-hand shopping. I often find cool CDs this way, and I think it'll be fun to be able to expand into records, too.

  6. I like how a shelf of CDs or records is social. When people come by, they can check it out, and it can start a conversation about music. That's fun. It's something I miss about my days in high school & college: I used to find so much music by just cruising people's CD collections when they were in the bathroom or outside for a cigarette or whatever.

  7. I like gear, and vinyl SURE involves a lot of gear ;)

Anyway, I guess there are a lot of reasons, maybe there are more, too, I dunno. It's been a real headache at times—there's so much to learn!—but I'm really glad to be adding vinyl into the mix. It won't replace digital in my house, not at all, but it does add another fun option.

PS. Lemme know if you ever wanna pass along those last hundred records! I know a guy ;)


Excellent on the P-2 -what tonearm -and cartridge ?

I wish I retained my test jigs/ant-skate platter, stylus force gauges etc. I'd do a great set-up for you.
(Make sure you experiment with VTA). I have 25-years of table set-up experience -and took it seriously.
As I would today.

peter jasz


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
PostPosted: Thu Nov 30, 2017 11:26 pm 
Offline

Joined: Mon Apr 17, 2017 5:26 am
Posts: 92
Location: Vancouver, BC, CA
Thanks Peter, it's nice to have a chance to reflect on all that!

As for the tonearm & cartridge, right now I'm running the original tonearm (R200) and a Grado ZTE+ (for which I'm about to order a new stylus). The anti-skate belt busted on the R200, which is a bummer (it's a difficult fix), but I think it's alright for now... I'm hoping I can scratch together the funds for a used RB250 or better before too long, and then I guess I'll start thinking about other cartridges etc. (If I haven't given up, lol!)

You mentioned VTA... I've been reading about the difference VTA can make, and it sounds dramatic. It seems like it's a bit of a challenge to adjust/experiment with it on these rega arms, though. Is it right that it's all about shims and spacers? I've also read a bit about the 8-12hz resonance you mentioned, too, but I don't really understand it... how is this achieved?


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
PostPosted: Fri Dec 01, 2017 2:30 am 
Offline

Joined: Tue Dec 07, 2004 7:16 am
Posts: 273
Location: Hamilton, ON, CA
two2the8 wrote:
Thanks Peter, it's nice to have a chance to reflect on all that!

As for the tonearm & cartridge, right now I'm running the original tonearm (R200) and a Grado ZTE+ (for which I'm about to order a new stylus). The anti-skate belt busted on the R200, which is a bummer (it's a difficult fix), but I think it's alright for now... I'm hoping I can scratch together the funds for a used RB250 or better before too long, and then I guess I'll start thinking about other cartridges etc. (If I haven't given up, lol!)

You mentioned VTA... I've been reading about the difference VTA can make, and it sounds dramatic. It seems like it's a bit of a challenge to adjust/experiment with it on these rega arms, though. Is it right that it's all about shims and spacers? I've also read a bit about the 8-12hz resonance you mentioned, too, but I don't really understand it... how is this achieved?


2t8: That's ONE of the things I don't care about with Rega arms, the ridiculous anti-VTA stance -Roy (Gandy?) can be/is a massive hard-head. (I'm not a fan at all).

But yes, Rega 'spacers' are required for VTA adjustment. I would never entertain the idea of a tonearm without a far more practical (and sophisticated) adjustment(s).

I know it's likely not of great interest to you, but if you can find ANY other other arm (or table/arm) than the Rega I believe you will be jolted out of your (listening) chair once you realize "how good" vinyl can sound.

I have no recent experience with Grado cartridges, but previous models all sounded flat/dull (uninspiring) -particularly with Rega arms. If you haven't, consider some of Ortofon's (Red, Blue, Bronze, etc) - a much better match for the Rega arm imo. In fact, likely a better sounding cartridge(s).

Regarding cart/arm resonance determination, it can be (and is) graphically represented and involves the tonearms "effective moving mass", and the "cartridge compliance" -cantilever's "springiness" specifications. Google it -I'm certain it will show up somewhere. Then (of course) simply follow your pairings spec's (referring to the graph) and you'll discover your combo's "resonance frequency".

peter jasz


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
PostPosted: Fri Dec 01, 2017 8:24 am 
Offline
Dealer/Sponsor
User avatar

Joined: Mon Feb 06, 2012 8:49 am
Posts: 398
Location: Toronto, ON, CA
The Rega arms are fine. Since you rarely change cartridges a spacer isn't a big deal to change once every 2-5 years and almost all carts need 1 spacer on regas. As for the grado carts, they hum badly on the rega AC motors. Try Goldring E series, Ortofon 2m, Nagaoaka 110. Spend most of your money on the cart at this point and then get a good phono stage next.

_________________
Planet of Sound
129 Danforth Ave., Toronto | 1020 Queen St. W., Toronto | 1194 Bank St., Ottawa


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
PostPosted: Fri Dec 01, 2017 9:55 am 
Offline

Joined: Mon Aug 08, 2016 5:46 pm
Posts: 466
Location: Markham, ON, CA
Rega arms also DO have an option for VTA adjustment. Michell makes a great infinitely-adjustable screw-down adjuster. No need for shims, unbolting the tonearm from the armboard, etc....I use one.

Best, Tom


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
PostPosted: Thu Dec 21, 2017 2:29 pm 
Offline

Joined: Mon Apr 17, 2017 5:26 am
Posts: 92
Location: Vancouver, BC, CA
TL;DR: After yet another setback, I'm inclined to think that maybe @hollinger was right. Buying used, or at least buying P2P rather than through a dealer, was probably not the best choice for me as a beginner. I probably should have bought something new or something that had been vetted by someone with experience, or at least I should have taken the used table I got to a shop *right away* for assessment & setup.

---

More than six weeks in, and I'm still trying to get started with vinyl. It's been an ordeal. Follow along if you like:

After casting about for advice and options, I bought a used Planar 2 locally, and I got a fine deal. I got it home, excited, and the anti-skate on the table's R200 arm busted first thing. OK, well, after some searching and asking around, I learned that I could either fix it (tough) or run without it.

Fine, I decided to run with no A/S. I tracked down a cheap phono pre, got the table set up, and... the speed was slow and inconsistent (32.6-33.7-ish). Of course, after many years without a change, it makes sense that the table needed a new belt... OK, fine, sure. So I bought a belt. I Installed the belt... but the increased tension made the pulley start to rub on the platter. OK, well, I learned how to adjust for that, sort of (I still have no idea if I'm doing it right). The turntable speed is better now, but it runs fast and with about .2 rpm variation (33.7-33.9-ish). Good enough, I guess.

The turntable came with an old Grado cartridge, but word is they hum on Regas, and anyway I don't know the condition of the stylus. So I bought a cheap cartridge for testing (AT95e), and another, nicer cartridge to use when I really get up and running. Setting up the testing cartridge, though, I realized that I couldn't cope with not knowing how a/s was affecting the process... As a tt beginner, trying to assess the sound of vinyl in my system and get set up for the first time, it was anxious-making to start with a handicap.

OK, well, I decided to do something to change that. Faced with a choice between fixing the current arm (quite a project) and swapping it out, I decided to spring for a used upgrade (RB250). I sold a bit of camera gear and I got the new arm. I set it up with the new not-humming cartridge, and... whaddya know, it hums. After more hours of tracking down the trouble, it now turns out that the ground wire is broken inside the tonearm. I'm not handy with a soldering iron, and even if I was there's no extra wire in the arm to work with, so now it looks like I'm faced with the prospect of taking it to a tech for fixing anyway.

I guess I'm venting. Probably that's annoying. The thing is, I've actually had a lot of fun at times to figure this stuff out, and I've sure learned a lot. It's just that with all these fixes I've already put almost the same amount of money into this table that I would have spent on a brand new P2 (at current sale prices).

And all that's just for the table. Add to that the cost and challenge of choosing a cartridge, phono pre, cleaning supplies, poly sleeves, and the extra challenge of making a suitable space in my living room for the TT, and the whole thing has become pretty damned expensive and time-consuming. All of which would be fine—it's fun to have a hobby—if I could actually listen to anything! But... I can't, because the table has been broken one way or another since the day I got it. I've spent easily 10x as many hours googling for instructions and tinkering as I have listening to music on vinyl.

I'm not sure what I'll do from here. I'm tempted to pack it in, or maybe to start again, lessons learned. I guess I've learned a couple of things, anyway:

a) Getting into vinyl is expensive. Even if you can manage to score a table and preamp at a decent price point, you've still got to factor in the cost of cartridge, interconnects, cleaning supplies, storage, furniture, and the unceasing pressure of the looming upgrade.

b) Making educated decisions about used tts and related equipment requires some expertise. If you don't have expertise, you should probably find someone who does and get them to help you make the first few decisions.

Probably you all told me all these things back at the beginning of this process, and I didn't listen. Serves me right.


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
PostPosted: Thu Dec 21, 2017 3:01 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Mon Mar 31, 2008 9:17 am
Posts: 14033
Location: Toronto, ON, CA
The busted ground wire can be fixed without too much effort. The arm is grounded through the threads at the end stub and shorted to one channel in the arm base with a short piece of wire. You have to unscrew the end stub (might be tight....wrap a strip of soft leather around it and torque with a pair of pliers....make sure you're gripping the wand and not the base so as not to stress the bearings), and pull the rubber bung out at the bottom of the base where the wire exits.

Somewhere between these 2 points the ground wire is broken.

If the connection at the thread can't be restored for whatever reason, you can strip about 3/4" of ground wire, pull it to the side of the bung and let the bung hold it against the base....the wand will then be grounded through the bearings but this is common practice when this arm is rewired.

_________________
To a hammer, everything looks like a nail


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
PostPosted: Thu Dec 21, 2017 3:39 pm 
Offline

Joined: Mon Apr 17, 2017 5:26 am
Posts: 92
Location: Vancouver, BC, CA
ripblade wrote:
Somewhere between these 2 points the ground wire is broken.


Thanks ripblade. I went through this process earlier today, and when I take the end stub off I can clearly see where the wire is busted—it's right there. It had been grounded to a metal spring/clip inside the arm just behind the pivot point (just after the threads), but it's come loose. The remaining length of wire inside that area is about 1/2 inch long: long enough to reach the threads on the end stub, but not much longer. As a hack, I tried using the the end stub to pinch the ground wire in the threads, but I couldn't get it to behave how I wanted it.

ripblade wrote:
If the connection at the thread can't be restored for whatever reason, you can strip about 3/4" of ground wire, pull it to the side of the bung and let the bung hold it against the base....the wand will then be grounded through the bearings but this is common practice when this arm is rewired.


There is a little metal flange on the side of the bung that I assume does this very thing. Does it? Everything seems OK below the wand, but maybe I'm misunderstanding something here.


Top
 Profile  
Reply with quote  
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 74 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

All times are UTC - 8 hours


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 4 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
Powered by phpBB® Forum Software © phpBB Group