Canuck Audio Mart Hifi and Audio ForumCanuck Audio Mart Hifi and Audio Forum
It is currently Wed Sep 19, 2018 8:59 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 74 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
PostPosted: Mon Oct 30, 2017 6:39 pm 

Welcome to the CAM forums, two2the8 !

Following good advice from Canadiansnowland and others will make it easier to upgrade your system, including the analog side of it, as funds become available.

Planning purchases now in view of what you hope to have later is a skill which is a central part of this hobby. All the learning you have done, and will do, will make it possible to listen to great music on the best gear you can afford.

I very much like the example of this kind of planning which appears in Gerard Rejskind's book The World of High Fidelity. Gerard is the editor of UHF Magazine, one of the better-respected audio mags, and he has been doing the audio upgrade thing for himself and others for most of his life.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 30, 2017 9:54 pm 

Thanks again, all! It's great to have those tips on reputable shops... talking to someone face to face will be really helpful. Thanks esp. @brownslane & @toby for the warm welcomes and the helpful reminders to take my time & have fun :) I'll keep y'all posted.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 31, 2017 1:33 am 
Dealer/Sponsor

My 2 cents - If you are thinking RP1 or P1 and wants new you are close to getting a P2 which is a huge leap above the P1. The P1 uses the RB110 arm which is an alloy tube fitted with a plastic head shell while the P2 gets the one piece RB220 arm , P1 has a phenolic platter , P2 Glass The P2also has a Better bearing and quieter DC motor for $200 more than the P1. If it were me I would go for the discounted RP1 at $449 or save for the P2 if you want new.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 31, 2017 3:55 am 

moinau wrote:

For starter, Excellent TT, and Phono pre-amp that meets your budget , + or -

Pro-Ject Essential III 400.00$ CDN plus tax.

Pro-Ject Phono Box

150.00$ CDN plus tax

Get this. Seriously. I own both of these and they are excellent.

That said if your local dealer sells Rega, that is a good choice too unless you listen to a lot of classical music or are sensitive to pitch. The Rega tables will sound full and more textured while the Pro-ject tables are cleaner with better speed/pitch stability.

Both Rega and Pro-ject are set and forget and usually come with a great budget cartridge.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 31, 2017 5:21 am 

$40 bucks CND online!

Gary

Attachments:
51787078_614.jpg
51787078_614.jpg [ 36.21 KiB | Viewed 820 times ]
PostPosted: Tue Oct 31, 2017 7:05 am 

As always, buying used can give you more bang for the buck. But if you lack familiarity with turntables, don't care to take the risk of shipping, or just want to keep things simple, buying a new Rega RP1 and Rega A2d should run you a little over 600 new (tax extra) and it's a very good combo. Nothing to adjust, set up in 10 minutes and sounds great.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 31, 2017 8:48 am 

hollinger wrote:
As always, buying used can give you more bang for the buck. But if you lack familiarity with turntables, don't care to take the risk of shipping, or just want to keep things simple, buying a new Rega RP1 and Rega A2d should run you a little over 600 new (tax extra) and it's a very good combo. Nothing to adjust, set up in 10 minutes and sounds great.

With the challenge that you cannot upgrade. And the sound will be uninspiring in a short while. That is the challenge with P1. Great (inexpensive) entry-level tt, but with literally no way up. Why not get a better table that will grow with your system? Get a P3 (or equivalent) and a decent cart. Then, as your ear (and system budget) will demand, upgrade the cart for a great sound that will last you years. Why are so many P1's available with little use? You know the answer.

At least that is my opinion. And, as we all know with audio, everybody has a different opinion :) Peace.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 31, 2017 9:33 am 

Nothing wrong with enjoying an entry-level turntable. I stayed with my Dual CS-714Q for almost 25 years (although for 15 of those years it was packed away in a box due to young children running around).

It has only been in the last 2 years that I upgraded to a Roksan Xerxes and a London Decca Super Gold cart. I just recently (today) upgraded the tonearm from an RB300 to a Roksan Artemiz.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 31, 2017 9:47 am 

Among the strategic buys suggested by Gerard Rejskind in the book I mentioned above (and linked to) was a really good turntable. As much money as possible went on that, and initially, a minimum on the arm, cartridge and phono stage. Later on the arm, cart etc. were removed and resold, helping to finance new and better ones.

With the reminder of course that reselling is never certain, even if the components have been treated like museum pieces and the price is very fair indeed. Another option, especially for cartridges, is to keep the gear as backup.

BTW check out sasquatch's suggestion above, a $40 phono stage to use until you can afford a better one. sasquatch is a highly reliable source, despite the somewhat dubious username. :wink:

PostPosted: Tue Oct 31, 2017 10:50 am 

That's really helpful, @Toby. I will try to check out Rejskind's book. There's a great appeal to thinking strategically... it helps to blunt the relentless sticker-shock.

I noticed today that NAD has a new table coming out next month, the C558, which looks pretty interesting (if a bit out of my immediate price range).

Anyway, today I'm deep into thinking through how I will isolate a table in my living room, which is a whole other problem. There's no end to this stuff... there's hardly even a beginning! :| I'll letcha know how I go.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 31, 2017 12:27 pm 

Find a Lenco L75 and modify it as interest and time permit.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 31, 2017 2:19 pm 

Here is a GREAT deal on a very good tt. I will even go and test it for you if you are serious.
https://www.kijiji.ca/v-electronics/mis ... 1308283004

My first Rega was a planar 2. It was amazing, and allowed me to upgrade as I wanted. Sold it later with a Michael Lim polycarbonate plynth, RB250, Tango-spinner platter and drive belts, etc. It was an amazing deck and REALLY close to the P6 I use today. It is really a great deck. Don't let the age frighten you; there is little that can go wrong. Best of all, if it tested, you can be assured it will work fine when it arrives; these decks travel well.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 31, 2017 2:43 pm 

Wow, that does look like a great deal, thanks for the heads up! I'll have to see if they're up for shipping.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 31, 2017 5:46 pm 

two2the8 wrote:
Wow, that does look like a great deal, thanks for the heads up! I'll have to see if they're up for shipping.

I wouldn't recommend buying something on Kijiji and getting it shipped.

Kijiji isn't CAM.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 31, 2017 7:58 pm 

Fair enough, @NordicNorm. Good advice.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 74 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next