Canuck Audio Mart Hifi and Audio ForumCanuck Audio Mart Hifi and Audio Forum
It is currently Wed Dec 13, 2017 3:22 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

PostPosted: Sun Oct 01, 2017 5:53 pm 

I have a Dr.Feickert tool as well as the VPI cart setup tool, would there be an advantage of using one over the other or is it just what ends up sounding better in the ear of the beholder?

PostPosted: Sun Oct 01, 2017 6:24 pm 

The Feickert allows for 3 different alignments – Lofgren, Baerwald and Stevenson so you can choose what sounds best to you. Not sure what alignment VPI uses but you can always verify against the Dr Feickert.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 01, 2017 6:33 pm 

I would stay with VPI tool ( I used to have VPI tt in past)..they are somewhere between.... or you can get Wally to make one for you...which I think may be the best....

PostPosted: Sun Oct 01, 2017 6:36 pm 

sthomas1049 wrote:
The Feickert allows for 3 different alignments – Lofgren, Baerwald and Stevenson so you can choose what sounds best to you. Not sure what alignment VPI uses but you can always verify against the Dr Feickert.

For sure, one would think that the VPI tool would be the optimal alignment but I guess I just need to spend some time trying different setups out. Running with the VPI setup now, seems sibilant, is VTA adjustment the route to curing/reducing this?

PostPosted: Sun Oct 01, 2017 6:43 pm 

that is the Million $$$ question...what is the cartridge? How old? ...did you check all the wire is enough loose? Phono stage....etc...

PostPosted: Sun Oct 01, 2017 6:55 pm 

libor wrote:
that is the Million $$$ question...what is the cartridge? How old? ...did you check all the wire is enough loose? Phono stage....etc...

Cart is a new Grado Platinum v2 Reference (yes, needs break-in), phono stage is the one in my Rogue Sphinx v2, not sure what you mean by if all the wire is enough loose...

PostPosted: Sun Oct 01, 2017 7:00 pm 

Medtech wrote:
sthomas1049 wrote:

For sure, one would think that the VPI tool would be the optimal alignment but I guess I just need to spend some time trying different setups out. Running with the VPI setup now, seems sibilant, is VTA adjustment the route to curing/reducing this?

I’d say alignment is more of a personal preference so I’d give each of them a try. Sibilance could be caused by many things. Antiskate, improper cartridge loading (assuming you have a MC cartridge), warn cartridge etc. VTA adjustment should be set so that the SRA (Stylus Rake Angle) is at 92 degrees.

Corby has started an excellent thread on this a while ago. Also a good writeup in Analogplanet.

http://www.canuckaudiomart.com/forum/vi ... 32&t=21959
https://www.analogplanet.com/content/ho ... -angle-sra

PostPosted: Sun Oct 01, 2017 7:08 pm 

or this.......https://forum.audiogon.com/discussions/ ... d-tracking

PostPosted: Mon Oct 02, 2017 5:12 am 

I use this to set up my LOMC cartridges:

http://db.audioasylum.com/cgi/m.mpl?for ... l&n=882825

Collecting vintage tube Pilot (Pilotone) HiFi gear.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 02, 2017 5:28 am 

The VPI alignment jig is a proprietary alignment which reflects the personal taste of Harry Weisfled.

I would play around with the various alignments to determine which one sounds best for you.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 02, 2017 5:36 am 

The Dr Feickert removes any needed calculations and also provides 3 different alignment setups including Lofren. There are positive and minus to each alignment – non are perfect, so this allows a user to choose what they feel is best.

Another benefit of the Dr Feickert protractor is that it allows for an accurate measurement of the Pivot to Spindle so you can verify against the manufactures specs. If this is off you will never obtain a proper alignment. There was a thread some time ago of a user struggling to align his cartridge because the arm board was not drilled to the correct pivot to spindle for the tonearm that was mounted.

Also to note, printed paper protractors need to be absolutely perfect in order to be effective. If the printing resolution is off, or the hole for the spindle is not dead correct then you will never achieve a proper alignment.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 02, 2017 10:52 am 

You'll never achieve a proper alignment of any kind if the stylus tip zenith is off. Doesn't take much, either.

I would take a look at the stylus under a microscope before I would blame any particular alignment strategy for sibilance. None of them should be sibilant, if all else is proper.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 02, 2017 11:02 am 

IMO, Mint LP is the best.

One mirrored protractor for one TT/arm combo.