Canuck Audio Mart Hifi and Audio ForumCanuck Audio Mart Hifi and Audio Forum
It is currently Wed Oct 18, 2017 9:30 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

PostPosted: Fri Sep 29, 2017 4:59 pm 

I recently picked up a new plinth for a Planar 3 (2016 version). Price was so low and included feet, power switch and cover that I thought I might add the arm and motor later as funds become available.

With that said, what motor options do I have? I know I can get the rega 24v motor upgrade kit but was wondering if I can swap a motor from an RP1 or RP3? The key part of that question is "CAN I" with full knowledge that the 24V upgrade is the recommended route.

Thanks in advance for any input!

PostPosted: Fri Sep 29, 2017 6:19 pm 
Dealer/Sponsor

Can you elaborate on exactly what you have?
It gets kind of confusing with Rega.
We refer to the new ones as P3's and the last gen was RP3

Im assuming you have an old "Planar 3" (80's-90's) and have come across a new "P3" plinth????

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

PostPosted: Fri Sep 29, 2017 8:15 pm 

I have a new P3 plinth, just need to fit a motor and tonearm. Was wondering if a motor from an RP3 or RP1 would work or what other options exist outside of a new 24V upgrade motor at approx $250+ tax.

Hopefully that provides further clarification. Thanks!

PostPosted: Fri Sep 29, 2017 9:45 pm 

First: honest disclosure - I have not done this. I have owned old and new units and the motors look the same, however you will also need the electronics that come with them. They might still be mounted in your plinth. On the older models the motors mount with a rubber band that wraps around a metal plate which is screwed to the plinth, and the ears on the motor are bent to retain the rubber band. On newer models the motor is stuck to the plinth with 2 sided sticky foam tape. If purchasing a motor, make sure that it and the electronics are for North America. 110 volts/60 cycles.

You may wish to look at some other mounting options such as Michael Lim's. I hope to install one of these, or a home brew version, sometime, using a "sub-plinth".

http://lpturntables.blogspot.ca/2010/11/motor-isolation-base-for-rega.html

This is just preliminary information. Hopefully someone with actual experience will chip in.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 03, 2017 4:13 am 

Any motor from Rega will work provided you use the electronic (control board) and correct power supply. There are OK versions and there are much better versions, depending on which table you take it from. Yes, the 24V motor/control board plus TTPSU is probably the best value for money, but will cost you some cash.

The Lim motor isolation base makes a huge difference and I highly recommend it. I use it on my highly modded RP6 and it is the best upgrade you can do IMHO.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 03, 2017 7:21 am 

TT PSU and motor will do the best job. I have installed a Michael Lim remote motor mount and am using his acrylic plynth. It works very well and is super quiet. I can wholeheartedly recommend Michael. He is a super guy and the quality of his components are beyond perfect. A great guy to deal with.

I installed his plynth (which is cut out for the motor as it mounts within the perimeter defined by the plynth....I have installed his bearing/spindle bushing kit as well. Both were great. I used the old rubber-band mounted motor and controls which I located in a "remote motor kit" that Michael provided...this removes the switch and controls remotely and places them in a box.

Frankly if you just bought a plynth, you would be better to look into the TTPSU and motor that fits it....if you go my route, you are literally throwing everything you bought in the garbage....

I highly recommend the Origin Live tonearms; I have two Origin Live arms (both 250's) on my Lim P3 and a Thorens TD-150 Mk2....and they are lovely sounding tonearms.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 03, 2017 9:02 am 

Thanks for all the great advice. The research begins!