Canuck Audio Mart Hifi and Audio ForumCanuck Audio Mart Hifi and Audio Forum
It is currently Tue Oct 17, 2017 2:31 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: dual1229
PostPosted: Thu Sep 28, 2017 3:38 am 

Hi everyone. My current TT is a Sansui SR-212. I would like the Dual 1229 but it's pricey. Would the 1229 be a big improvement over the 212? I don't mind paying $300.00+ for a 1229 but not if it's Worth the price. Thank you and have a nice day

Post subject: Re: dual1229
PostPosted: Thu Sep 28, 2017 4:49 am 

1229 is one of the best Dual's ever made but even the newest one is over 40 years old.

It is an idler versus the table you have which is belt drive. Both use the old school motors which are not as quiet as newer designs. In my experience, the difference between idler and belt drive (in general) is that the midrange is better on the idler with a greater sense of drive while the belt drives have better treble and deeper bass.

I own a 1228 which is a model down from the one you are looking at (the 1229 is a lot better) and it is fun but any modern (new) Pro-ject table for less than $500 is vastly cleaner and tidier sounding.

I would check to see when the old Dual was serviced last - not a lot of people know these tables any more. Lovely table though - a really beautifully made thing to own and enjoy for sure. I love my mint 1228 (1974 vintage).

PostPosted: Thu Sep 28, 2017 1:27 pm 

I'd really love to hear one, never have. Like to compare it my TD-160 with an LV-X arm. I think most would give the nod to the Thorens, but I know not all would. Seems that idler drives have a different sound signature that some (many) prefer over belt.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 28, 2017 5:04 pm 

banerjba wrote:
1229 is one of the best Dual's ever made but even the newest one is over 40 years old.

It is an idler versus the table you have which is belt drive. Both use the old school motors which are not as quiet as newer designs. In my experience, the difference between idler and belt drive (in general) is that the midrange is better on the idler with a greater sense of drive while the belt drives have better treble and deeper bass.

I own a 1228 which is a model down from the one you are looking at (the 1229 is a lot better) and it is fun but any modern (new) Pro-ject table for less than $500 is vastly cleaner and tidier sounding.

I would check to see when the old Dual was serviced last - not a lot of people know these tables any more. Lovely table though - a really beautifully made thing to own and enjoy for sure. I love my mint 1228 (1974 vintage).

I would go a step further and suggest you try to find a Revolver turntable (the original one, not the Rebel), with a Jelco ST250 tonearm which came stock with the table- outstanding value, great sounding table and better than the low end profiles. A Rega 3 with an RB300 is also a better sounding table than the Dual or Pro-ject. The RB300 is a better arm than the stock entry level Project variety. The idler wheel has it's benefits and can actually be replaced rather easily. You want one that has rubber that is not old and dried out. As it turns, it's pressed against the inside ring attached to the underside of the platter- sub platter ring. This in turn, turn's the platter with minimal contact with the subplatter as compared to a belt.

Last edited by Musicware4u on Thu Sep 28, 2017 6:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 28, 2017 6:07 pm 

Good suggestion Revolver was one of those great designs that got lost for a while becuase the company went belly up. Music Hall builds its 5 series tables based on the Revolver split plinth concept. I understand the new company called Revolver is relaunching the Rebel version.

I loved my Revolver but ended up trading it for superb Linn Axis.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 28, 2017 6:20 pm 

banerjba wrote:
Good suggestion Revolver was one of those great designs that got lost for a while becuase the company went belly up. Music Hall builds its 5 series tables based on the Revolver split plinth concept. I understand the new company called Revolver is relaunching the Rebel version.

It always bugged me how Music Hall has taken credit for the split plinth design! I suppose they thought that most of their customers would not know of or remember the Revolver. Y

PostPosted: Thu Sep 28, 2017 6:59 pm 

i just did a refurb on a 1229 for a friend. it's a great table - he has a shure v15 type iii, and that thing gives my thorens 126 a run for its money.

a 1229 will almost certainly need some service if its original, the motor was pretty noisy when i first got it.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 28, 2017 8:02 pm 

CopperFreeOxygen wrote:
i just did a refurb on a 1229 for a friend. it's a great table - he has a shure v15 type iii, and that thing gives my thorens 126 a run for its money.

a 1229 will almost certainly need some service if its original, the motor was pretty noisy when i first got it.

That is very interesting. I am intrigued with the 1019 and 1229. I'm $1100 into my modded TD-160 (Linn LV-X arm and custom hardwood plinth), but still want to put a better arm on it. So, the high end Duals have me thinking ...

PostPosted: Thu Sep 28, 2017 8:02 pm 

CopperFreeOxygen wrote:

That is very interesting. I am intrigued with the 1019 and 1229. I'm $1100 into my modded TD-160 (Linn LV-X arm and custom hardwood plinth), but still want to put a better arm on it. So, the high end Duals have me thinking ...

PostPosted: Fri Sep 29, 2017 4:12 am 

cyrus wrote:
banerjba wrote:

It always bugged me how Music Hall has taken credit for the split plinth design! I suppose they thought that most of their customers would not know of or remember the Revolver. Y

MH's importer actually referenced the Revolver design in an interview when those designs came back.