Canuck Audio Mart Hifi and Audio ForumCanuck Audio Mart Hifi and Audio Forum
It is currently Sun Oct 22, 2017 11:52 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

PostPosted: Sat Sep 30, 2017 6:20 pm 

Wow! That is the real deal. Well done. Must by 35 years old as the Sumiko name has been around since the mid 1980s.

Let us know how you like it.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 01, 2017 4:21 am 

ripblade wrote:
banerjba wrote:
Great suggestion David. Glenn's suggestion of the Nagaoka 110 is also good and both have good tone but the Sumiko is a bit more dynamic and full sounding. Proof that these 1970s vintage designs still have a lot to offer in terms of affordable music making.

I like dynamic and full. Looks like I'm going to get to try one of these as I just one this one for the princely sum of $30, shipped.

http://www.canuckaudiomart.com/details/ ... dium=email

Congrats Glen...

PostPosted: Sun Oct 01, 2017 6:40 am 

I installed a nice used Denon 110 yesterday on my friend's Marantz/Clearaudio. It set up easily and plays really well. How well?

We did back-to-back tests on my (yet to be fully broken in) Hana SL on my Thorens 150 MK2 (with an Origin Live 250/Cardas wired arm) and, where both carts were nice sounding, the used Denon was actually a little smoother and revealing. Both nice, smooth, refined sounding cartridges.

There was one significant difference....the Denon was far superior in playing used vinyl.....much quieter. An example: I have a really sweet 1959 Monterey Jazz album....released in 1960....so it is 57 years old. The Hana played it well, great sound stage, decay, super quiet sound floor. But there was the occasional pop and hiss....not a lot, but it was there. On the Denon? Absolutely dead quiet. Tried again on a Chicago Transit Authority (original pressing)....the difference was even more noticeable.

So the $220 used cart played much better than the $1,000 brand-new cart. Needless to say, my friend is thrilled! Me, not so much :?

So, this week I am going to install a new Michell VTA adjuster and play a bit with the Hana.... 8)

Thanks to you all for sharing so freely. The many suggestions I try the Denon and alternatives allowed me to make a good choice for my friend. Credit where credit is due: CAM members are the best.

Tom

PostPosted: Sun Oct 01, 2017 8:16 am 

Glad it worked out well.
The 110 is a great all rounder.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 01, 2017 8:22 am 

banerjba wrote:
Wow! That is the real deal. Well done. Must by 35 years old as the Sumiko name has been around since the mid 1980s.

Chipmunk1957 wrote:
Congrats Glen...

Thanks, guys.

Can't believe I got it for so little....I guess there's no love for these here on CAM.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 01, 2017 9:02 am 

Despite being a fan of Adcom throughout my days of kraft dinner and budget beer, I never knew they marketed a cartridge. Learn something new! :D

PostPosted: Sun Oct 01, 2017 11:55 am 

^ Me neither! :)

PostPosted: Tue Oct 10, 2017 12:02 pm 

ripblade wrote:
banerjba wrote:

Chipmunk1957 wrote:
Congrats Glen...

Thanks, guys.

Can't believe I got it for so little....I guess there's no love for these here on CAM.

Just an update: Got this in the mail today. Haven't mounted or listened to it yet, but it looks pretty good. Unusual in this price range is a 2-piece telescoped cantilever....they're usually only one piece. More work equals greater care and precision equals better quality and sound. I like...

FTR, coil DCR is 420ohms...not far off from my Grace F-9 at 400ohms. Some say it's the same generator. Hmmm...

PostPosted: Tue Oct 10, 2017 12:10 pm 
Dealer/Sponsor

sthomas1049 wrote:
Despite being a fan of Adcom throughout my days of kraft dinner and budget beer, I never knew they marketed a cartridge. Learn something new! :D

They did some decent sounding moving coils....

Probably made by coral as well.

https://www.vinylengine.com/library/adc ... coil.shtml

PostPosted: Tue Oct 10, 2017 1:03 pm 

The Shelter 201 with essentially the same body is a great sounding, robust cartridge with a big sound. My two favourite carts at around the $300 price point are the Shelter 201 and the Denon DL-110. Quite different sounding, but both quite entertaining.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 11, 2017 12:20 pm 

cyrus wrote:
The Shelter 201 with essentially the same body is a great sounding, robust cartridge with a big sound. My two favourite carts at around the $300 price point are the Shelter 201 and the Denon DL-110. Quite different sounding, but both quite entertaining.

I am interested; how do they differ? The 110 I purchased for my friend was truly smooth and well-rounded. What struck me was how well it payed used albums. Much better than my Hana SL.