Canuck Audio Mart Hifi and Audio ForumCanuck Audio Mart Hifi and Audio Forum
It is currently Mon Dec 11, 2017 10:40 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

PostPosted: Sun Sep 17, 2017 6:33 pm 

I am thinking of upgrading from my childhood turntable (Old 80's Toshiba SRD-33) to either a Dual CS-502 vs Rega RP1 Both are for sale used and in "great condition". They are both evenly priced around 200$

I would be open to hearing opinions

Thanks

PostPosted: Sun Sep 17, 2017 6:39 pm 

Hand down take the Rega! you have more options to upgrade the Rega than the dual.

-- 18 Sep 2017 03:39 --

Hand down take the Rega! you have more options to upgrade the Rega than the dual.

Rega Planar 3 TT/Nagaoka MP-11 Cart/Technics SL-7 TT/Grado Black Cart/NAD C725BEE Receiver/NAD C545BEE CD player/NAD 613 Cass Player/NAD PP2/NAD HP20/Totem Arro Speakers/Technics SL-MC7 CD Changer/Apple Airpods/Sony MDR-1000X/Sony MDR-1A

PostPosted: Sun Sep 17, 2017 8:35 pm 

I would also look at a Pro-ject Essential. Rega is a vastly better table than the old Dual unless the Dual is very cheap. I have owned all of these brands. The only issue with Rega is if you have perfect pitch then you will detect a slight instability if the power is dirty where you are.

Dual will provide a huge soundstage and generally good pitch/speed stability. It will be very enjoyable but the Rega and Pro-ject will be tighter, tidier and cleaner.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 18, 2017 2:45 am 

banerjba wrote:
I would also look at a Pro-ject Essential. Rega is a vastly better table than the old Dual unless the Dual is very cheap. I have owned all of these brands. The only issue with Rega is if you have perfect pitch then you will detect a slight instability if the power is dirty where you are.

Dual will provide a huge soundstage and generally good pitch/speed stability. It will be very enjoyable but the Rega and Pro-ject will be tighter, tidier and cleaner.

For starters, The Rega tonearm is better than the Dual. The 505-2 is more comparable to the Rega rather than the CS-502 which has that crappy cheap injection molded plinth. Although the Dual has an all metal bearing (thrust pad and main bearing are metal) and the Rega does not. Still I would go for the Rega.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 18, 2017 4:58 am 

Many of the Dual 502 turntables are plagued with bad motors that speedup to over 100RPM without reason. The 502 is not the only Dual with this issue. So I would stay away from that model.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 18, 2017 7:18 am 

Hi,

Listen to banerjba - as the Maori say, 'he knows'.

Cheers,
David Neice

PostPosted: Mon Sep 18, 2017 8:24 am 

banerjba wrote:

To add a point; the P1 is a very elemental low-end turntable. Few purchasers of a P1 stay with it for the long term. It works well for what it is. But it has a limited upgrade path. For the price of a new P1 you could buy a used P3 and have a deck that will satisfy you for years to come; as well the P3 has an almost limitless upgrade path; there is literally an aftermarket upgrade component for everything on that turntable... P1? meh. You will be looking for a new deck in a year or two. Another way to look at it would be why buy a brand new Hyundai when you can buy a nice used Ferrari.

Not sure about the upgrade path available in the Project, but I have never met a Project turntable that I did not like! :)

For me, I would look for a better quality deck on the used market. Your dollar will go a LOT further.

EDIT.... perhaps if I had read the OP a little better I would have seen that the OP is working within a $200 budget......so I will shut up now....sorry for the thread drift. For the $200 bucks, what cart do they each have? Also, Rusty posted a couple of great, solid-performing alternates in your price range. Either one of those would be good decks as well.

Last edited by brownslane on Mon Sep 18, 2017 4:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 18, 2017 12:16 pm 

https://vancouver.craigslist.ca/van/ele ... 25229.html
https://vancouver.craigslist.ca/van/ele ... 93550.html

I say you should stick with trusty Japanese direct-drive. If you want to tweak, spend more money to upgrade, then do further upgrades & then tweak some more, buy a Rega.
8)

PostPosted: Mon Sep 18, 2017 12:56 pm 

Old Rusty wrote:
https://vancouver.craigslist.ca/van/ele/d/technics-turntable-sl-q2/6301425229.html
https://vancouver.craigslist.ca/van/ele ... 93550.html

I say you should stick with trusty Japanese direct-drive. If you want to tweak, spend more money to upgrade, then do further upgrades & then tweak some more, buy a Rega.
8)

Both good solid deals.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 18, 2017 4:08 pm 

Sgt Pepper wrote:
Many of the Dual 502 turntables are plagued with bad motors that speedup to over 100RPM without reason. The 502 is not the only Dual with this issue. So I would stay away from that model.

I never heard of this issue and have owned 505-2 tables. If it exists I would think I would have heard that or maybe I was just lucky having had at least three 505-2's over the years. Still the Rega is the better of the two tables for sure.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 18, 2017 4:47 pm 

Who is talking about the 505-2? Clean your glasses.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 18, 2017 8:11 pm 

Thanks for all the feedback folks. You're Awesome!

PostPosted: Tue Sep 19, 2017 2:28 am 

I have owned an RP-1, a Pro Ject Debut Carbon, and currently own an RP-3 and Dual 504-2 (I think its the same deck only belt driven?).

The Dual, as far as I'm aware, is unstoppable. I think those things are built to last forever. The size of the motor, on the belt drive version... I'm not 100% sure if the 505 is a direct drive for sure or if it is also a belt driven table... I thought mine was a lost cause, as I had no cartridge sled. But, managed to find one, as they do crop up here from time to time.

On the Dual... They have a proprietary cartridge sled that you place the cart in, then clip it into the arm/headshell. There are a couple of problems I've found with this system. And forgive me if the 505 is not the same arm. But, first, for alignment, it doesn't give you the benefit of using a protractor as such. I have the alignment jig for the deck, and I've found it to be acceptable, but, perhaps not the highest of accuracy. Once aligned properly, the sled can be finicky if the contacts get old and worn out. Also, the solder had gone bad on one of the cartridge tags. But, since they are spring loaded pins, when I went to resolder the tag to the pin, the spring got a little bit too much heat and stretched out a tad. It still works, but is a little stiffer to move (it probably expanded). On the inside of mine, I applied some new RCA terminals as they looked old, and were a little flimsy. This actually helped out a lot more than I had anticipated. There is a junction box on the inside of the 504 (again not sure about the 505 but likely similar) where the tonearm wire connects to some pins that have the unterminated end of the RCA jacks. They are wired in a way similar to Rega in that they have no ground pin, or there is a common ground, eliminating the need for a ground wire. I have long been thinking about running a separate ground wire and rewiring the tonearm to skip the pins on the sled, but since I have my Rega and a Michell Tecnodec, I've sort of put the Dual to the wayside. I've had an Audiotechnica AT14Ea and AT 155LC connected to it with fair results.

The Rega is a very set and forget table, but offers some upgrades for tweakers. The RP-1 offers a few less than the RP-3 which I've upgraded the Subplatter & bearing, counterweight and feet. All of which can be changed on the RP-1, but the arm on the RP-3 is the sweet spot. Much higher quality IMO. To which I've added a 2M Bronze. I didn't find the need to add the spacers. I may fool with that at a later date.

I hope this was helpful?

PostPosted: Tue Sep 19, 2017 6:44 am 

Why are people reading the Dual choice as a 505? The 505 and the 502, which he is asking about are entirely different turntables with different tonearms.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 19, 2017 7:13 am 
Dealer/Sponsor

brownslane wrote:

To add a point; the P1 is a very elemental low-end turntable. Few purchasers of a P1 stay with it for the long term. It works well for what it is. But it has a limited upgrade path. For the price of a new P1 you could buy a used P3 and have a deck that will satisfy you for years to come; as well the P3 has an almost limitless upgrade path; there is literally an aftermarket upgrade component for everything on that turntable... P1? meh. You will be looking for a new deck in a year or two. .

Please explain how the P1 upgrade path is limited? As far as I know, it can be built up to a P3, then follow the same path as a P3? Or am I misinformed?

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk