Canuck Audio Mart Hifi and Audio ForumCanuck Audio Mart Hifi and Audio Forum
It is currently Fri Nov 24, 2017 11:57 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 159 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 11  Next
PostPosted: Tue Jan 19, 2016 11:16 am 

I know there are many here who use the Okki, VPI and Nitty Gritty RCMs. I am upgrading to a vacuum powered RCM myself but I wondered what everyone's fav solution is??
Whether store bought or DIY solutions.
...oh and please don't say soya sauce and windex ok?? I have read many jokes before so hardee har har ok?
Any serious insight would be appreciated.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 19, 2016 11:19 am 

"Home made"...80% distilled water 20% Isopropyl alcohol

PostPosted: Tue Jan 19, 2016 11:30 am 

I use Mobile Fidelity Super Record Wash, and am pleased with the results.
Attachment:
mfslrecordwash32-2.jpg
mfslrecordwash32-2.jpg [ 38.34 KiB | Viewed 5906 times ]

PostPosted: Tue Jan 19, 2016 11:31 am 

Stone wrote:

The above plus 1 drop of dish washing liquid (Green Works or Dawn). After the wash, rinse with 100% distilled water.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 19, 2016 11:33 am 

NordicNorm wrote:
Stone wrote:

The above plus 1 drop of dish washing liquid (Green Works or Dawn). After the wash, rinse with 100% distilled water.

I assume the above solutions are ok to use with new vinyl out of the package as well??

PostPosted: Tue Jan 19, 2016 11:37 am 
Premium User

I mix 3L 99.9999% pure MG Chemicals Isopropyl, 1L distilled water in a jug, and add a drop of Kodak Photo Flo.

Correction: 1L Isopropyl, 3L distilled water

Last edited by electrafixion on Tue Jan 19, 2016 12:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 19, 2016 11:40 am 

tmarx wrote:
I mix 3L 99.9999% pure MG Chemicals Isopropyl, 1L distilled water in a jug, and add a drop of Kodak Photo Flo.

I have heard of this Kodak Photo Flo as well. What does it do?? Does it act like the dish soap sort of?

PostPosted: Tue Jan 19, 2016 11:55 am 

Basically it allows the wishy-washies to get down deeper into the record groove.

By the way, you are using too much isopropyl. It is alright if you are just washing the record the once, but repeated washes at this concentration will fox things up.

Last edited by Baggs on Tue Jan 19, 2016 11:58 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 19, 2016 11:57 am 
Premium User

Dukerbud88 wrote:
tmarx wrote:

I have heard of this Kodak Photo Flo as well. What does it do?? Does it act like the dish soap sort of?
Yes, you would use Photo-Flo in place of the soap. Here's a blurb I found on Google:

Kodak Photo-Flo 200 Solution should be added to the final wash when processing black & white films. It acts as a wetting agent by foaming up and protecting the film from dust and scratches while hanging to dry. Decreases the water-surface tension on the emulsion. Minimizes water marks and streaks on film.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 19, 2016 12:12 pm 

Baggs wrote:
Basically it allows the wishy-washies to get down deeper into the record groove.

By the way, you are using too much isopropyl. It is alright if you are just washing the record the once, but repeated washes at this concentration will fox things up.

Thanks Baggs!!
What would be the proper ration in your opinion?

PostPosted: Tue Jan 19, 2016 12:36 pm 

What is the proper concentration?
The proper concentration is two things:
1/ DO NOT WORRY ABOUT IT

2/Take everything Baggs says with a grain of salt

Now really, you cannot ruin vinyl by ANY concentration of isopropyl. (Acetates, most assuredly, but not PVC). Do not confuse with ethanol (wood alcohol). This WILL ruin records due to the higher chemical polarity coefficent.

Isopropyl however is your friend.The line about leaching plasticizer and wotsit from the vinyl is a FILTHY LIE. It is used to work-up/worry fussbucket audiofools (which actually can be a good thing.)

Pros swear that 2.5% isopropyl is enough but most go one third isopropyl, two thirds water. From what I understand, you are using a strong mix - 75% isopropyl. This is actually the same as I use. Most would say I am insane ,but I have been using for years.

Actually contrary to the OP, windex is not a bad idea - add a few mls to the gallon mix.

The thing you have to be very careful with is the photoflow. When they say only 2-3 drops per gallon, they don't say so for nothing. Go a bit more and your needle will be shaving off white soap!

-- 19 Jan 2016 20:45 --

If you do not clean often, you must keep your cleaning solution under refridgeration.

Or you could be very ill-advised to do what I do - oh, I can already see the hands going up to brows and hear the groans: place a drop of pure mercury in the gallon solution. The mercury of course is very heavy and stays on the bottom as a single blob. (This kills the micro-organisms without interfering with the solution.)

Mercury, of course, is poisonous when absorbed by skin. ou do NOT want this in the fridge. Actually you do not want a regular cleaning solution in a food fridge.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 19, 2016 12:51 pm 

I use a homemade solution similar to the others but I also add a drop of jet dry dishwasher liquid as well as a drop of Dawn soap. It seems to work well but I've never tried anything else :wink: . I have a bottle of distilled water that I use as a rinse. No pops or clicks due to dirt any more. Btw, the Dollar stores usually have cheap spray bottles.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 19, 2016 12:51 pm 

After using many of the usual detergents and Isopropyl Alcohol based cleaners, I have been using the following from Audiotop, Switzerland, with excellent results.

The cleaner is very simple to use (no mixing) and quite effective. It is designed to be used with any RCM with a vacuum..(Okki, VPI and Nitty Gritty RCMs)...

http://www.audiotop.ch/en

Three step process:

• Audiotop Vinyl 1 is a special detergent for use with vacuuming record cleaning machines. The extraordinary cleaning power is immediately audible due to the smooth and silent groove gliding and improved detail of the recorded music. To further enhance the result we recommend the after-treatment, Vinyl 2.

Product Specifications:

Formula: Mixture of an highly purified (99,999%) non specified substance, Aqua Purificata (repeatedly distilled and purified) and special tensides.

• Audiotop Vinyl 2 is a fluid that reduces the friction caused by the motion of the stylus in the record groove. After applying the special fluid Audiotop Vinyl 2 the diamond glides more smoothly and quietly in the record groove reducing friction and increasing stylus contact. This increases the dynamics and facilitates the reproduction of full audio frequencies and a stable output.

Note: Use only after a thorough cleaning with Vinyl 1.

Product Specifications:

Formula: Non specified gas contained in highly purified (99,9995%) carrier substance.

Characteristics: Exclusive development and technology of Audiotop Products. Vinyl 2 evaporates completely without leaving any residue and the surface of the record is left in perfect condition. This results in enhanced resolution throughout the frequency range, resulting in increased dynamics and a palpable spatial image of the recording session.

Stylus Cleaner

Product Features:

• Stylus cleaner for diamond cartridges, benefits include perfect detail, spatial imaging, focus of the music signal and a palpable recreation of the original music event.

Formula: Mixture of an highly purified (99,999%) non specified substance and special non-ionic tensides.

Characteristics: Stylus remains neutral to metals, plastics and adhesives made on the basis of cyanide. Stylus has a so-called memory effect on rubber, i.e. overstretched rubber may obtain its original elasticity. The cleaner carefully and effectively dissolves all residues on the diamond and is anti-static. The result is a defined diamond surface, which allows for optimal retrieval of information from the micro grooves. Benefits include increased channel separation, a spatially stable image, extended resolution over the entire frequency range as well as increased dynamics!

Happy Listening,
Francis R. :D

Attachments:
Audiotop Record Cleaner.jpg
Audiotop Record Cleaner.jpg [ 13.6 KiB | Viewed 5788 times ]

Last edited by Benetton on Tue Jan 19, 2016 1:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
PostPosted: Tue Jan 19, 2016 1:00 pm 

Priceless.
You made my day.

(especially the stylus cleaner.)

PostPosted: Tue Jan 19, 2016 1:20 pm 

There are a number of record cleaning chemicals on the market. I buy them either from a dealer, or some guy who gets out of vinyl because they are too obsessive (it takes them an hour to get ready to play a record?!). Disc Doctor from the US is good and the guy is a chemist, so he knows his stuff.

For new records, I have found that a cleaner that gets rid of "mold release compounds" is a good first step. A second cleaning with Nitty Gritty or other solution is fine. A new sleeve is also required. That's it. I don't machine more than that. A quick wipe with a brush and off you go. The main thing is to keep your stylus clean. Clean after each record.

Used records are a different story. Multiple cleanings may be required, as are stronger chemicals. The homebrew solutions, followed by Disc Doctor, etc, followed by distilled water. Repeat as required.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 159 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 11  Next