Canuck Audio Mart Hifi and Audio ForumCanuck Audio Mart Hifi and Audio Forum
It is currently Thu Dec 14, 2017 10:09 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: Vpi prime scout
PostPosted: Sat Sep 02, 2017 9:49 am 

Hi all , vpi has the new prime scout table this year. Im thinking of pulling the trigger on one . My question is do you folks think the 2 grand more is worth for the stand alone prime ? The prime has a larger platter , 10" arm instead of a 9" , and a vta dial. The prime scout is getting good reviews but my only concern with it is its platter it has a smaller radius than its big brother , is this a big factor ? Opinions ? Thanks

Post subject: Re: Vpi prime scout
PostPosted: Sat Sep 02, 2017 10:55 am 

I wonder if VPI made the Scout platter a smaller diameter in order to force people to upgrade to the Prime platter so that the Periphery Ring can be used. If so that’s a bit dodgy!

Personally I don’t think the diameter of the platter should be an issue. But the Prime platter obviously has more mass – this would be a positive. My opinion is if you can afford it, go for the Prime. But at $5k+, there are other great tables on the market you may also want to consider.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 02, 2017 11:04 am 

My thoughts as well... im not crazy about laying down 5 g's. Im upgrading from a project carbon debut ( original not the current dc version ) im hoping the scout will make a difference . Im sold on the ortofon 2m black cartridge as well , it paired with the scout i hope will make a nice combo .

PostPosted: Sat Sep 02, 2017 11:13 am 

Sent you a PM.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 02, 2017 1:45 pm 

Just curious, what cartridge do you plan on using with the potential prime purchase and what phono stage ?

PostPosted: Sat Sep 02, 2017 2:14 pm 

Evening moon... i plan to install a ortofon 2m black and i have two phono stages , (1) graham slee special edition and (2) project phono box 2 . This is another question i need answered, the phono stage match with the scout ..these will have to do for now but another one will be added in the future for sure

PostPosted: Sat Sep 02, 2017 5:41 pm 

PM sent to you.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 02, 2017 9:15 pm 

is there a different VPI prime scout as this one that lists for $5K
https://advance.mb.ca/collections/turnt ... -turntable

PostPosted: Sun Sep 03, 2017 4:29 am 

sthomas1049 wrote:
I wonder if VPI made the Scout platter a smaller diameter in order to force people to upgrade to the Prime platter so that the Periphery Ring can be used. If so that’s a bit dodgy!

Everything is built to a price point. Most people who are considering a $2k table will not be investing 50% of the table's value in an accessory/periphery ring.

In addition, the Jacobs bearing used in the Scout is not designed for the added 7lb weight of the ring and associated the centre weight.

Imho, it is very important to consider one's entry point in a product line and subsequent upgrades can be expensive. For many, the Scout Prime is a final destination table.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 03, 2017 7:40 am 

Hi,

I looked at the three versions of the TT - the Standard Scout (2016), the Prime Scout and the new Prime. The Prime Scout is a sort of 'half-way house' that only really offers you the newer swoopy styling for the plinth IMHO. I think the real choice is between the refined Standard Scout, a TT of longstanding design and admiration, and the new Prime, where opinions are still forming. The $2K price differential is not trivial but the larger/heavier platter and longer arm of the new Prime and other design features such as the heavier bearing assembly obviously put it into a different cost/price bracket. I rather doubt that VPI would replace the Scout with an inferior TT so the Prime is a pretty safe bet. But there are other tables that are also exceptional and I suggest you look at a Gold Note Giglio or a Mediteranneo or the Bryston TT that is built by Gold Note (Italy) even if it is only to just finally convince yourself of a VPI purchase.

And for those still mindful of their hard-earned dollars the older standard Scout is now looking like a used bargain.

Cheers,
David Neice

PostPosted: Mon Sep 04, 2017 2:57 am 

brf wrote:
sthomas1049 wrote:

Everything is built to a price point. Most people who are considering a $2k table will not be investing 50% of the table's value in an accessory/periphery ring.

In addition, the Jacobs bearing used in the Scout is not designed for the added 7lb weight of the ring and associated the centre weight.

Imho, it is very important to consider one's entry point in a product line and subsequent upgrades can be expensive. For many, the Scout Prime is a final destination table.

Valid points. And I agree that most who purchase a $2 to $3k table may not pursue a $1300 accessory. But there will be that small selected few who might consider it. It is not uncommon for one to purchase a cheaper product with plans to follow the manufactures upgrade path in the future (should they be available). However, in the case of the Prime Scout, this is not just the cost of a $1300 accessory, it’s $XXXX+ first to bring the table up to spec before the periphery ring could even be entertained! Why even bother offering it if the upgrade path is unrealistic?

If your claims about the bearing are true, then this is another hidden cost that must be dealt with before entertaining some of the upgrades/accessories VPI is offering with this table. Is the spindle/bearing not fixed to the plinth? Again, why offer upgrades if they are convoluted and expensive.

Fully understand that everything is built to a price point – and the Prime Scout is an excellent example of this. I am not discrediting the Prime Scout, but I am questioning VPI in promoting its flexibility through upgrades.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 04, 2017 7:21 am 

If you are keen on the Graham Slee SE, I think that an Era Gold or Reflex M would likely be a step in the forward direction for openness and clean sound with the 2M Black. I've used it in combination with a 2M Red, Blue and Bronze with good result and they deliver a nice sound, IMO! I have long considered going the VPI route after having several light weight tables such as the Rega RP-1, RP-3, Debut Carbon, etc...