Canuck Audio Mart Hifi and Audio ForumCanuck Audio Mart Hifi and Audio Forum
It is currently Fri Oct 20, 2017 1:44 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

PostPosted: Fri Sep 01, 2017 6:01 pm 

I have only played one )once and that was enough) in the last 47 years. So I can't answer the question.

I have a bunch of 12" 45s and havent played one in at least a decade either.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 01, 2017 7:26 pm 

I have 750 plus 45's. When I was young and buying them, my parents and other older people said I was wasting my money. Unlike most of my cousins and friends, I took really good care of them and my collection became impressive. Most LP's cost $4.95 each and seldom had more than 2 or 3 good songs per album - very little value. On the other hand, 45's were 99 cents each and quite often had really good B sides. So, you didn't always have to hand over a pile of money to get something new and great. Read: you could be really picky when buying. Then there were always 2 or 3 or 4 for a dollar sales for titles no longer in the top 50. Lots of titles were definitely worth the price at a reduced rate; one could only afford so many at 99 cents each. Twice a year, Kresge's would have a 5 for a dollar sale. I would save for it and usually come home with 40 or 50 records. This is how I filled in my collection and was usually able to obtain my top 100 favourites for each year.

I still play them to this day and always will, until I digitize them and turn them into flac files. Then, I won't have to get up and put on each individual title, as I will then be able to set up and save favourite playlists. I've never lost the cueing skills I developed in my pre-teens and have never be adverse to spinning 45's. Its much harder to learn these skills when one becomes older and playing CD's doesn't help to develop record cueing skills. But, come on, good arms should have cueing levers. Maybe a pair of new glasses or bi-focals are in order. Or one of those mini adjustable USB lights might help.

When my mother got deep into old age, she changed her mind about me "wasting my money on records" and often made requests when she was feeling nostalgic about her early days. Same thing when her younger sister would come over to visit. This was just about the only time she ever admitted she was wrong about something. Mothers!!! I never did dare to buy Jo-Anne Campbell's hit "Mother, Please, I'd Rather do it Myself!" Cheers!