Canuck Audio Mart Hifi and Audio ForumCanuck Audio Mart Hifi and Audio Forum
It is currently Sun Dec 10, 2017 4:23 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

PostPosted: Thu Aug 31, 2017 9:24 am 

About bloody time!

Bravo Technics!

But why isn't the MK3 the basis for the new 'table, rather than the MK2? Or am I misunderstanding?

Not just the platter, the MK3 motor and controller were also superior to those of the MK2.

Indeed a version of the MK3 motor was used to power the cutting lathe in many an LP production suite.

-- Thu Aug 31, 2017 11:24 am --

About bloody time!

Bravo Technics!

But why isn't the MK3 the basis for the new 'table, rather than the MK2? Or am I misunderstanding?

Not just the platter, the MK3 motor and controller were also superior to those of the MK2.

Indeed a version of the MK3 motor was used to power the cutting lathe in many an LP production suite.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 31, 2017 9:41 am 
Premium User

dr.joe wrote:
About bloody time!

Bravo Technics!

I found this official announcement video on Youtube: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CGt1rMjT9hY

Note that the image in the background at 4:00 is a MK3.

The SL-1200GAE has nothing in common with the original SL-1200xxx decks other than aesthetics. I suspect the new SP-10R will be a completely new product as well, surpassing all the previous iterations of SP-10.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 31, 2017 10:17 am 

electrafixion wrote:
I suspect the new SP-10R will be a completely new product as well, surpassing all the previous iterations of SP-10.

+1 That would be my guess as well.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 31, 2017 10:52 am 

brf wrote:
electrafixion wrote:
I suspect the new SP-10R will be a completely new product as well, surpassing all the previous iterations of SP-10.

+1 That would be my guess as well.

If that's the case, it would make the basis for a better cutting lathe as well.

Good target market!

PostPosted: Mon Oct 02, 2017 8:51 am 
Premium User

Here's some more information on the new Technics SP-10R courtesy of Michael Fremer:

https://youtu.be/_bxHKxmEU3E

PostPosted: Fri Oct 13, 2017 6:02 am 

Bumpy wrote:
electrafixion wrote:
As a long time Technics turntable collector / fixer / hoarder, this is the best news I could have ever hoped for.

https://www.whathifi.com/news/technics- ... ign=buffer

To date, the best sound I've heard in my system is my SP-10mk2. Hopefully the new version will drop right into my existing panzerholz plinth. I was initially skeptical of the Technics SL-1200GAE and it's high price tag, but it did turn out to be a vast improvement over the original. Hopefully Technics can make similar improvements with the new SP-10r.

In my opinion,the main difference between the mk2 and 3 is the weight of the platter. If you get at heavier mat ( copper for eg. ) you should hear a significant improvement

I agree that a good copper or carbon fibre platter mat helps with the SP-10MK2, but the MK3 differs from the MK2 in almost every respect, not just in the matter of the platter. Yes, the MK2 platter weighs 2.9 kg and the MK3 platter weighs 10 kg. But the SP-10MK3 motor is completely different from the MK2 motor; in fact, it's a version of the motor Technics developed to power record-cutting lathes. The MK3 power supply, too, is made to a much higher specification than the MK2 power supply.

Good to learn, though, that the new SP10R will fit in the same plinth as a MK2.