Canuck Audio Mart Hifi and Audio ForumCanuck Audio Mart Hifi and Audio Forum
It is currently Mon Oct 23, 2017 9:20 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

PostPosted: Thu Aug 24, 2017 5:52 am 

Curious to hear from those who may have taken advantage of Dynavector’s Exchange Service? I have a 10X5 that has fallen victim to a long sleeve accident which in result has bent the cantilever – see pic. :oops:

Curious to know if there is any value in either having it repaired or replaced. Purchased the 10X5 before the price hike.

Attachments:
Get Bent!.jpg
Get Bent!.jpg [ 459.76 KiB | Viewed 1035 times ]
PostPosted: Thu Aug 24, 2017 6:29 am 

I damaged the cantilever of my 10X5. I took advantage of the exchange program but upgraded to a 20X2L (I believe the amount you get towards your new cartridge increases if you move up the line). Don't quote me exactly on the numbers but I ended up getting about $400 off the price of the new cartridge. I brought in the old damaged one and had the new one in hand in about 10 days.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 24, 2017 6:59 am 

kyle_aubrey wrote:
I damaged the cantilever of my 10X5. I took advantage of the exchange program but upgraded to a 20X2L (I believe the amount you get towards your new cartridge increases if you move up the line). Don't quote me exactly on the numbers but I ended up getting about $400 off the price of the new cartridge. I brought in the old damaged one and had the new one in hand in about 10 days.

Interesting. If you don’t mind me asking, did you purchase your 10X5 prior to the price hike? If so, $400 trade in for a cartridge that was only ~$500 to begin with is an excellent deal. The Dynavector web site states to deal with your dealer or distributor – assuming those are the channels you took?

Thanks for the reply, very informative.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 24, 2017 7:25 am 

I bought the 10X5 used in about 2012, so not sure where that falls in the price timeline. Yes, I brought the cartridge to my local DV dealer. They had a chart that they reference for which cartridge you are trading in vs which one you want to exchange it for and how much you can get towards the new cartridge. I remember asking about replacing it with another 10X5 for which I would have only received $200 if I remember correctly. It seemed like a no-brainer to upgrade to the 20X2L.

When I mounted my 10X5 back in 2012 it was replacing an Ortofon Red I believe and the 10X5 blew it away. For me, hearing that cartridge was the first eye opening experience I had in this hobby. Once the cantilever broke I temporarily had a Denon DL110 HOMC for about a year before I got the 20X2. The Denon did not come anywhere close to the vitality of the 10X5. i guess I am saying that the 10X5 is also a pretty amazing cartridge for the price if you decide to trade in towards that one again.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 24, 2017 7:47 am 

Other’s can confirm but I think the price hike was around 2013/14

Love this cartridge and bawled like a little school girl who lost her puppy when I bent the cantilever (well not really, but did have a few stiff drinks to drown my sorrows!). In my defense, out of 40+ years this has been the first mishap. Guess it happens to the best of us…or some!

I have a 2M Blue and a Nagaoka MP110 as backup’s – they just don’t compare.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 24, 2017 8:48 am 

I exchanged my damaged DV20X2L with a dealer. The price with the exchange subtracted was probably close to total re-tip cost with one of the majors except without the guesswork and 2 month turnaround. I had a new cartridge in hand and was spinning records in an hour or so.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 24, 2017 9:13 am 

I repaired my 10x5 with Andy @ Needle Clinic (needleclinic@gmail.com). He did a great job replacing the cantilever.

He offered me 3 options (all prices in USD):
1. aluminium standard elliptical stylus $150 -
2. aluminium genuine nude line contact stylus $250 -
3. sapphire nude line contact stylus $350 -

I selected option #2 and cannot be happier. It took the cartridge to an absolutely different league e.g more details of music, especially in mid - high frequencies.

Rega RP6 + Dynavector 10x5 > GCPH

PostPosted: Thu Aug 24, 2017 9:54 am 

I have a 2M Bronze that came with my used RP6 (DV P85 (v2) pre) and it makes me pretty happy. I am thinking of taking the plunge for the 10 X 5 - is this a 'no brainer' as far as expecting a great outcome?

PostPosted: Thu Aug 24, 2017 10:18 am 

yrogins wrote:
I repaired my 10x5 with Andy @ Needle Clinic (needleclinic@gmail.com). He did a great job replacing the cantilever.

I selected option #2 and cannot be happier. It took the cartridge to an absolutely different league e.g more details of music, especially in mid - high frequencies.

That’s good to know. What was the turnaround time?

AHarris wrote:
I have a 2M Bronze that came with my used RP6 (DV P85 (v2) pre) and it makes me pretty happy. I am thinking of taking the plunge for the 10 X 5 - is this a 'no brainer' as far as expecting a great outcome?

No experience with the 2M Bronze. It does have a reputation at being a very good sounding MM – might be a somewhat lateral move going to a 10X5. I’m sure others with more experience will chime in. At it’s original price of $400 to $500 the 10X5 IMO was very hard to beat. However, at the current $850 to $900 it is up against some stiff competition from some of the LO MC’s on the market. I often wonder how it would stack up against Ortofon’s Quintet line – especially the Black which is not that much more $$ (of course assuming your pre has the gain to handle a LO MC)

PostPosted: Thu Aug 24, 2017 10:23 am 

sthomas1049 wrote:
yrogins wrote:

That’s good to know. What was the turnaround time?

2 weeks

Rega RP6 + Dynavector 10x5 > GCPH

PostPosted: Thu Aug 24, 2017 11:16 am 

Really? :shock: That’s pretty damn good compared to some of the turnaround time’s I have read with re-tips. Thanks – I’ll consider this as a option.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 24, 2017 12:51 pm 

Needle clinic was like 4+ weeks and almost $600 CD quoted if I recall, for his recommended cantilever/stylus for my DV20X.

So, for not much more I got a whole new cartridge same day!

For any brand other than Dynavector I can see the need for the service.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 24, 2017 5:49 pm 

racecars wrote:
For any brand other than Dynavector I can see the need for the service.

+1. If the option is there for a brand new one for not much more, then that's the way to go, IMO. Dynavector is keeping up the old tradition of outright replacement at a discount.

Retips are an option when there is no other option, but they do carry risks for which there are no guarantees.