Canuck Audio Mart Hifi and Audio ForumCanuck Audio Mart Hifi and Audio Forum
It is currently Mon Oct 16, 2017 8:10 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: Teac X2000 R issues
PostPosted: Wed Aug 16, 2017 7:57 pm 

Noob question, recently acquired the above player, but does not seem to play, am I suppose to have the remote bypass plug in order to play tapes?
Thank you
Yasas

Post subject: Re: Teac X2000 R issues
PostPosted: Wed Aug 16, 2017 8:32 pm 

Way more information needed.

Very doubtful that has anything to do with it not playing.

More details required if you are hoping for any kind of troubleshooting.

Have you had a R2R machine before?

PostPosted: Thu Aug 17, 2017 4:04 am 

bandara wrote:
Noob question, recently acquired the above player, but does not seem to play, am I suppose to have the remote bypass plug in order to play tapes?
Thank you
Yasas

Got to love your question and your courage: maybe the fact that you have a complex machine dating back to the 1980s and appear to enjoy limited technical knowledge has something to do with your predicament?

Is there no train on the audiophile railroad you will not jump on?

As much as I yearned for one of those big reeled machines decades ago, demand has gone up, supply has gone down and the technical know-how to keep them going has all but disappeared and it would probably end up as a static display item in my room.

My personal conclusion is: I give them a pass and spend my limited time listening to music. Call me weird.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 17, 2017 4:19 am 

Ok PBB...youre weird! :lol:

PostPosted: Thu Aug 17, 2017 5:08 am 

bandara wrote:
Thank you
Yasas

Notwithstanding all of the excellent advice you have received so far, it is quite possible that you have the right answer all along.
Without the remote bypass plug, it is likely that the electronic transport controls on the deck will not work.

If you can use one of those newfangled Internets, you can post photos in your damn classified ads. :roll:

PostPosted: Thu Aug 17, 2017 5:39 am 

Oh big thank you for all,
And yes I'm a total newbie on the reel to reel machines, and they seems super complicated at this point and I've dedicated reasonable enough time for research,
However I cannot seem to find any info on the bypass plug and x2000r.
Also would like to know that if a different bypass model would work on this unit,? Assuming they are generic!
And yes, at this point in life I would like to explore all different paths, side ways this music world has turned into as well as would like to do a few recordings on my own and transfers from digitally recorded music to analog,
These are some of the reasons I have this unit for,
And all else fail I'll sell the unit and make some money to invest in other needs!
Again I'll do more reading and write some more information here
Thank you
Yasas

PostPosted: Thu Aug 17, 2017 5:51 am 

Are you sure that unit has a bypass plug? I did not think the Teacs did and that was a high end deck. By the 80's that did away with the bypass plug. The only reel player I know if that had a plug needed for transport is the revised A77. You can also go to hifi engine an down download the user manual. If the transport does not engage. Check the tape path...tose machines only work with a tape a that is threaded through the correct tape path. . Aside from that there are switches in the tension arms that wear out and the machine does not know if there is a tape in the unit.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 17, 2017 5:53 am 

There is a copy of the manual on hifiengine ... https://www.hifiengine.com/hfe_download ... -2000r.pdf ... but I see nothing that would indicate that it wouldn't work without the remote bypass plug. I didn't really look that hard because the manual is a mess, with several languages all mixed together (instead of in separate sections). You have to sign up as a member, but it is free. They also have a service manual for your deck.

EDIT: Given your inexperience it is quite likely that simonml is correct, that you don't have the tape wound correctly.
You really need to start with the manual. Sorry that the link doesn't work. You have to be signed in to see it.

I have a few reel to reel machines, and this is an entry-level Akai deck in my home office system. There will be a lever beside and below the take-up reel that must be engaged by the tape in order for the tape to play. If you lift up on it without a tape loaded, you should be able to engage the transport. It is there to stop the transport when the tape runs out (allowing the lever to drop down).

Attachments:
P1020672.JPG
P1020672.JPG [ 251.22 KiB | Viewed 947 times ]

If you can use one of those newfangled Internets, you can post photos in your damn classified ads. :roll:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 17, 2017 6:44 pm 

I think simonml is right the bypass plug is not needed , i did lift both the levers and the tape head seems to engage but once press play nothing seems to happen . i guess at this point what i can figure out is that the belts are and decayed or the motor iteself is busted ( i hope its not the motor)
ill be dropping the unit with my tech guy which did mentioned he had worked on some similar models from teac

but i will still collect more information and try to figure it out my self and this is the best place . greatly appriciate everyones opinion and did learnd a lot
and also thank you for the link to the user guide and i know its a super mess didnt liked reading it much and gonna make a printout

cheers guys and thank you verymuch

Yasas

PostPosted: Thu Aug 17, 2017 6:51 pm 

You can test it easily with an elastic band. Take 2 elastic band and tension the arms into place. Then you can run the FF Rev play functions. If the reel tables turn you know that the motors are fine. I cannot remember if that unit had belts...I am thinking that one was direct drive but you would need to research that.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 18, 2017 6:19 am 

I've an X-10 and an X-2000. The supply and takeup motors are direct and the capstan is driven by belt off the capstan motor. I just replaced the one on my X-2000.... no biggy. I believe that the belt came from Marrs. The takeup and supply motors are a lot less robust than the A series motors and are finicky to adjust the brake tension on.... definitely a (good) tech worthy job. BTW, offhandedly, sounds like capstan belt to me. The A series were the last ones with a dummy plug needed to engage the front transport controls.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 19, 2017 6:39 pm 

They are both going to the doctor tomorrow

Thank you for all the help

Attachments:
IMG_20170819_223628.jpg
IMG_20170819_223628.jpg [ 273.18 KiB | Viewed 761 times ]
PostPosted: Sun Aug 20, 2017 2:44 am 

Is that an 700zxl? I always wanted to try out one of those!

PostPosted: Sun Aug 20, 2017 3:01 am 

simonml wrote:
Is that an 700zxl? I always wanted to try out one of those!

I think it is an original 700.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 20, 2017 9:07 pm 

its an original 700 if you were in toronto you are welcome for an audition!

-- 21 Aug 2017 06:09 --

im selling it because i'd like to fund the repairs for the teac