Canuck Audio Mart Hifi and Audio ForumCanuck Audio Mart Hifi and Audio Forum
It is currently Fri Oct 20, 2017 9:07 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

PostPosted: Fri Aug 18, 2017 5:15 am 

ripblade wrote:
My recommendation based on my experience, is an SUT and with a higher mass arm. Don't have a lot of experience with SUTs other than the one I have. I did try it on another system with a low mass arm and active head amp but wasn't nearly as impressed; sound was thin and bright...the usual criticism of the AT sound.

I would not be so quick to throw the active head amp under the bus. The thin and bright sound can be entirely attributed to the low mass arm.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 18, 2017 5:35 am 

ripblade wrote:
A bargain cartridge at an even bigger bargain cuz the box was damaged? How come I never find deals like this? :wink:

I had an OC9/II on my modded 250 and was quite impressed with it. The SUT is an Audio Interface (40 ohms, I think), and one of the arm mods includes a headshell damper that raises the EM a few grams. The OC9 was not embarrassed by some of the (much more) expensive offerings I've put on that arm, though admittedly, the arm might've limited those offering's potential. Nonetheless, good fun and great bang for the buck. Only reason that cartridge is so cheap is because a huge Japanese company is making it. You'd pay much more for the same from a boutique manufacturer.

My recommendation based on my experience, is an SUT and with a higher mass arm. Don't have a lot of experience with SUTs other than the one I have. I did try it on another system with a low mass arm and active head amp but wasn't nearly as impressed; sound was thin and bright...the usual criticism of the AT sound.

Rip, I've always looked forward to your responses. Always have lots more experience than I! I am thinking an SUT is my best bet, because I've got several MM options as it is. So, I could even try it out on all of them, and then still use my MM carts. I've read from folks that AT sounds thin as well, but my AT95, AT14E, AT155LC have all sounded incredible in their own right, but I kept going back to HOMC and feeling they were more agile and easier to listen to. I've been contemplating a Parks Audio Budgie, as the price is in my realm, unless I could find something cheaper.

I read that the 250 should be fairly okay with it, as it's not a super light arm, but that the OC9 seems to like a little more mass. Out of curiosity would an Origin Live tonearm fit in a Rega arm hole & be proper distance? Are they based on RB tonearms? They look similar, but I read they are quite the nice arm. Would be worth swapping my 250 for an Origin Live Silver on my Tecnodec? Something to look at for later down the road...

I am afraid of the can of worms trying out this cart would bring... I'm sure I'd like to try out some of the offerings from Benz and many many others!

About the price, I really really really did not think I would get the cart, I thought maybe it would be just the box, as there was only a stock image, and the seller said that it was in a warehouse, and that he was unsure of the condition. Must have been a bigger seller. But, it was truly an amazing eBay find. As I said, it looks unused and was unopened, but perhaps it was a refurb of some sort? Any chance the coils have gone bad inside?

PostPosted: Fri Aug 18, 2017 7:43 am 

My AT OC9 is mounted on VPI with RB300 going into Ortofon T10 SUT. No issues here with the T10...I have 3 of them.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 18, 2017 9:47 am 

poupon wrote:
My AT OC9 is mounted on VPI with RB300 going into Ortofon T10 SUT. No issues here with the T10...I have 3 of them.

How hard are the T10 to come by? Have contemplated Ortofon and AT SUTs. Not sure what would be good gain? 1:10?

PostPosted: Fri Aug 18, 2017 10:04 am 

therealco wrote:
poupon wrote:

How hard are the T10 to come by? Have contemplated Ortofon and AT SUTs. Not sure what would be good gain? 1:10?

They come up frequently on Ebay. Try HI-FI Shark and set-up a notification for T-10 when they become available.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 18, 2017 12:23 pm 

Bumpy wrote:
ripblade wrote:

I would not be so quick to throw the active head amp under the bus. The thin and bright sound can be entirely attributed to the low mass arm.
In my case I'm sure it was. The headamp in question was the MC stage of a Threshold SL-10, which uses a single-ended transimpedance amplifier with 11 transistors paralleled in a common base configuration. Output is through a very large tantalum cap. In other words, not your average headamp.

It's my belief that a modest SUT will outperform a modest solid state headamp, especially if it is constructed of opamp chips which run in AB as most do. Doing solid state well is very difficult and usually expensive, especially in the μV region.

therealco wrote:
ripblade wrote:
A bargain cartridge at an even bigger bargain cuz the box was damaged? How come I never find deals like this? :wink:

I had an OC9/II on my modded 250 and was quite impressed with it. The SUT is an Audio Interface (40 ohms, I think), and one of the arm mods includes a headshell damper that raises the EM a few grams. The OC9 was not embarrassed by some of the (much more) expensive offerings I've put on that arm, though admittedly, the arm might've limited those offering's potential. Nonetheless, good fun and great bang for the buck. Only reason that cartridge is so cheap is because a huge Japanese company is making it. You'd pay much more for the same from a boutique manufacturer.

Rip, I've always looked forward to your responses. Always have lots more experience than I! I am thinking an SUT is my best bet, because I've got several MM options as it is. So, I could even try it out on all of them, and then still use my MM carts. I've read from folks that AT sounds thin as well, but my AT95, AT14E, AT155LC have all sounded incredible in their own right, but I kept going back to HOMC and feeling they were more agile and easier to listen to. I've been contemplating a Parks Audio Budgie, as the price is in my realm, unless I could find something cheaper.

I read that the 250 should be fairly okay with it, as it's not a super light arm, but that the OC9 seems to like a little more mass. Out of curiosity would an Origin Live tonearm fit in a Rega arm hole & be proper distance? Are they based on RB tonearms? They look similar, but I read they are quite the nice arm. Would be worth swapping my 250 for an Origin Live Silver on my Tecnodec? Something to look at for later down the road...

I am afraid of the can of worms trying out this cart would bring... I'm sure I'd like to try out some of the offerings from Benz and many many others!

About the price, I really really really did not think I would get the cart, I thought maybe it would be just the box, as there was only a stock image, and the seller said that it was in a warehouse, and that he was unsure of the condition. Must have been a bigger seller. But, it was truly an amazing eBay find. As I said, it looks unused and was unopened, but perhaps it was a refurb of some sort? Any chance the coils have gone bad inside?

Just the box? I know it's rude to ask, but just how little did you pay for 'just the box'? :lol:

The coils should be good. Unlike most other MC cartridges, the coils in the AT are not exposed but are very well protected. You might not even be able to see them. If there's an issue it more likely will be the suspension has wilted if the box was stored improperly, or the stylus tip is defective, though this last issue is fairly rare.

I believe the OL tonearms are drop-in compatible with Rega geometry, but you should double check with OL if you're seriously considering going down this route. For the money though, I think I'd sooner grab an Audiomods, but then, I haven't heard any of the OL offerings.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 18, 2017 12:51 pm 

Have not heard OL either, but audiomods is excellent.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 18, 2017 3:36 pm 

ripblade wrote:
Just the box? I know it's rude to ask, but just how little did you pay for 'just the box'? :lol:

The coils should be good. Unlike most other MC cartridges, the coils in the AT are not exposed but are very well protected. You might not even be able to see them. If there's an issue it more likely will be the suspension has wilted if the box was stored improperly, or the stylus tip is defective, though this last issue is fairly rare.

I believe the OL tonearms are drop-in compatible with Rega geometry, but you should double check with OL if you're seriously considering going down this route. For the money though, I think I'd sooner grab an Audiomods, but then, I haven't heard any of the OL offerings.

Rip, you probably wouldn't even believe me if I told you... I only paid $10.50 and the shipping was included. Wanted to jump on it, so paid right away and asked questions after. Seller said he was unsure what it meant as the cart was in a warehouse and they just send the go ahead once paid. I hoped for the best, but expected the worst. I was pleasantly surprised when it came in what appeared to be an unopened package with what looks to be untouched AT jewel case and cart inside with all paperwork. Probably my best score to date!

PostPosted: Fri Aug 18, 2017 4:06 pm 

Sheesh....nice score!

Don't skimp on the SUT/headamp.... you have no excuse. :lol:

Seriously, if you like the AT house sound, you're going to love the OC9/II. Treat it well and you'll be handsomely rewarded. 8)

PostPosted: Fri Aug 18, 2017 4:38 pm 

$10.50 with shipping - are you friggin kidding me??? Was that at least US $$? :shock: That has to be the deal of the century !!! I paid 220 used for mine and it had about 300 hours on it. And as Rip said - if you like the AT sound you will like this one in spades
Enjoy
jp

PostPosted: Fri Aug 18, 2017 5:09 pm 

I have preferred every AT cart I've heard in comparison to Ortofon. I prefered the 95e to the Red, and the AT14E that I have to say the Blue and a 155LC that I liked, but was a little bit harsh. Could have been the table I used it on, though.

I do like the sound of my 2M Bronze and my Dynavector 10x. I'm hoping it bests the Dyna, though, if I can find a decent SUT. Likely going to run it through a Graham Slee Era Gold. I find the Slee to be very quiet and open sounding. I don't want to skimp on the SUT, but as I've said, I'm still half curious whether the cart functions internally. I can't imagine something going wrong.

I was gobsmacked by the price, so I had to pull the trigger. It was in Canadian dollars, but I believe it was a US seller... Oddly, the packaging is in English and French... Which leads me to believe it had to be sold in Canada originally, and not the US?

I've been contemplating buying a Pro-Ject Phono Box with MM/MC to check and see if it works at all, before moving to a better SUT. I'm sure if I bought a used Pro-Ject phono that I could likely sell it to get most of my money back. It likely won't sound perfect this way...

-- 18 Aug 2017 22:44 --

In case folks don't believe me... This is a screenshot of my purchase. Of course, I removed the seller and item number just because I don't want to reveal that information. But, you get the idea... It was just a stock image.

Oddly, though, after purchase, when I clicked the link for the item, the price appears as $877... I'm not sure why.

Attachment:
Audio Technica.jpg
Audio Technica.jpg [ 44.85 KiB | Viewed 135 times ]

PostPosted: Fri Aug 18, 2017 5:59 pm 

If I wasn't happy with my Denon AU-320 SUT I'd go with a DIY Cinemag SUT. 2 Cinemag CMQEE-3440AH are $175 USD shipping included. Some rca jacks, wire, housing, and some soldering not included of course. From a price/performance perspective it would be hard to beat.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 18, 2017 6:08 pm 

ae86 wrote:
If I wasn't happy with my Denon AU-320 SUT I'd go with a DIY Cinemag SUT. 2 Cinemag CMQEE-3440AH are $175 USD shipping included. Some rca jacks, wire, housing, and some soldering not included of course. From a price/performance perspective it would be hard to beat.

Have read the Cinemag name a few times over the past couple days in my research. Soldering is definitely something I'm up for. I've never made one before, so I'm not entirely sure. I thought the Parks Audio Budgie was available in a DIY kit, but I can't seem to find one. I believe people use these with Cinemags? Or Bobs Devices?

I'm considering throwing a bid on this. Seems it may be a good fit for the AT cart... Possibly made for one another once upon a time with the original OC9?

http://www.ebay.ca/itm/Audio-Technica-Moving-Coil-Transformer-AT630-/332344368646?hash=item4d61449e06:g:2QgAAOSwfcBZkn1L

PostPosted: Fri Aug 18, 2017 6:22 pm 

therealco wrote:
I'm considering throwing a bid on this. Seems it may be a good fit for the AT cart... Possibly made for one another once upon a time with the original OC9?

http://www.ebay.ca/itm/Audio-Technica-M ... SwfcBZkn1L

I'd buy it, but I'm another shoot first and ask questions later kinda guy....:lol: