Canuck Audio Mart Hifi and Audio ForumCanuck Audio Mart Hifi and Audio Forum
It is currently Wed Oct 18, 2017 8:51 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

PostPosted: Sun Aug 13, 2017 1:23 pm 

Hello All. I've enjoyed some pretty good analogue tuner sound over the years from pretty well respected units, those being a Sanyo Plus 35, Sansui TU-317, and currently a TOTL Hitachi FT-920 from 1977. The Hitachi is a good sounding piece, although it's 40 years old and needs a checkup and alignment etc. I am set to have this done, but I've decided to hold off temporarily while I put it up against a 2004 Denon TU-1500RDS. I've spent quite a few hours this past week researching tuners, the Tuner Information Center as my primary resource. I purchased the Denon last night for $110, so quite a good price (seem to sell for $100-$200+). Even though the contributors of the TIC website seem to lean towards reviewing/rating/modding vintage tuners, three contributors had some pretty good things to say about Denon tuners in general, and the 1500 was commended for it's good sound quality. I'm really interested to put the Denon up against the old Hitachi, as the TIC contributors have also indicated that the old girl offers up pretty good sound too. The Hitachi is not very sensitive (a bit of a problem where I live), whereas the Denon is considered to have good sensitivity, which will be nice. But ultimately, it's the sound quality comparison that I'm looking forward to. The winner will stay on the rack, likely for years to come. Any predictions from you tuner affectionados?

PostPosted: Sun Aug 13, 2017 2:19 pm 

A couple weeks ago there was a thread on tuners, asking Cam members to chime in on 'hands on' experience with tuners of reputaion. Recommend you search it up and have a read. It was prett interesting.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 13, 2017 2:26 pm 

Sasklite wrote:
A couple weeks ago there was a thread on tuners, asking Cam members to chime in on 'hands on' experience with tuners of reputaion. Recommend you search it up and have a read. It was prett interesting.

+1

Yup, you'll think you died and went to heaven when you hear an ~1960 Sherwood S3000 FM tuner.

Collecting vintage tube Pilot (Pilotone) HiFi gear.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 15, 2017 3:06 pm 

Not a tuner guy, can't remember last time I listened to over-the air radio, must be 5 years or more, except in the car. I expect most of the population is the same. Manufacturers these days include the cheapest tuner section possible, especially in AV receivers. Is anyone mainstream still making stand alone tuners these days? My bet is that your 1970's gear will outperform anything else by a wide margin.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 15, 2017 6:48 pm 

Current model Accuphase, Dynalab & McIntosh tuners are some of the best ever....but at a price.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 16, 2017 3:29 am 

The first step in my opinion is a good antenna. A whip style antenna mounted as high as you can will be an improvement in difficult situations over the typical dipole rolled into a ball behind that stereo :wink:
Old tuners are OK, as long as you can get them at reasonable prices. The downside to fmtunerinfo.com is that it pushed the prices up on their recommended tuners. I think this has died down some, but some still ask hundreds for 40 year old tuners that were common in their day.