Canuck Audio Mart Hifi and Audio ForumCanuck Audio Mart Hifi and Audio Forum
It is currently Tue Oct 17, 2017 9:46 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

PostPosted: Wed Aug 09, 2017 3:15 pm 

http://www.canuckaudiomart.com/details/ ... turntable/
I am seriously thinking about buying this Radgear TT.
Does anyone know if it is hard to set up?

PostPosted: Wed Aug 09, 2017 3:29 pm 

I have a Radgear turntable, no issues setting it up, arm was on a completely different platform... the gentlemen that makes them is a super guy. Are you buying from the builder or from someone else? If you have any issues at all, email him, he sells his gear on CAM . RADGEAR MAN... ( I think)....

-- 09 Aug 2017 16:32 --

Sorry, just reread the post, you are buying it from someone else, be very careful if they have to ship.... there is an art to packaging a turntable that is custom made..... you could even send the url to Radman and ask him if the pricing is fair....!!

PostPosted: Wed Aug 09, 2017 3:39 pm 

Thanks for that Tutone.
No shipping.
How do i tell where to put the arm platform?
Btw all the username Radman are in the US.
Found him under Radgear go figure.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 09, 2017 4:19 pm 

I took my RadGear to a local turntable shop, seller (not radgear) had sent me one with a bad motor, so they repaired it and I asked them to set it up as it should be, cartridge, everything, put it on a thin piece of cardboard to match exactly where the arm platform should go, than just matched it up at home... maybe not as easy as I said, but once done, it was very easy to match up..

Speaking of shipping, when the repair shop was packaging it up, he broke off the stylus on my cartridge..right in front of me.. my god was he every embarrassed, he looked heartbroken, though he made good..!!!

The RadGear custom guy lives about 25 mins from me.. met him a couple times, great guy, he was making a super nice grand piano turntable at the time.... really spent a lot of time on it... it looks incredible... very much a center piece...

Go for it, they are all custom made, one of a kind.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 09, 2017 4:44 pm 

Thanks..
I am checking it out tomorrow and i pm'd Radgear.
Maybe the seller will know alot about the setup.
It seems a resonable price considering whats out there.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 09, 2017 6:23 pm 

Radgear John is a stand up guy, a machinist, woodworker with a thing for analog. I had one of his crazy long arms for a while and it was a cool piece, he does beautiful work.
This table in question looks to be a basic belt drive table in a beautiful plinth. The armpod looks fixed to it's base if it isn't and the armpod moves then you set up the cartridge with your alignment protractor which you have to do anyway. Looks like an easy setup overall. You couldn't build it for the asking price.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 09, 2017 9:25 pm 

I would say that it is an easy set up by looking at it. No suspension, so really only leveling and the usual tonearm and cartridge adjustments. Cool table!

PostPosted: Thu Aug 10, 2017 2:24 am 

Is it my old eyes or does the arm look too far forward?

PostPosted: Thu Aug 10, 2017 3:36 am 

Vintageman wrote:
Is it my old eyes or does the arm look too far forward?

It does give that perception – but as long as the Pivot to Spindle is correct then you should be able to properly align the cartridge. Pics on the interwebz show this is a non-fixed armpod – what tools does the OP have for accurately measuring the proper Pivot to Spindle as per what ever tone arm that is. Any off measurement here and you will never properly align the cartridge. I’d also ensure the armpod has enough mass so it is not easily moved during regular use.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 10, 2017 4:42 am 

Well...
Spoke to the seller and he assures me that he can show me how to properly set up the arm and cartridge so i am def checking it out today.
At the first sign of confusion with the seller i am outta there!

PostPosted: Thu Aug 10, 2017 11:25 am 

Im really pi $$ ed off.
I drove to sellers place in crazy Toronto traffic for an hour either way only to see this Radgear table listed as mint by the way was a piece of crap!
The headshell was miswired on a Profile ii arm that was incorrectly mounted on the arm pod and loose.
I turned on the table itself and on the 33 rpm wheel it would not spin slower than 36 rpm and the 45 was just as out of whack.
As for the plinth it was beat up which made it look cheap.
How the H#ll does someone get off listing that as mint.
I just wanted to tell the seller he was a fool but i kept my composure thanked him and left.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 10, 2017 11:48 am 

Chipmunk1957 wrote:
Im really pi $$ ed off.
I drove to sellers place in crazy Toronto traffic for an hour either way only to see this Radgear table listed as mint by the way was a piece of crap!
The headshell was miswired on a Profile ii arm that was incorrectly mounted on the arm pod and loose.
I turned on the table itself and on the 33 rpm wheel it would not spin slower than 36 rpm and the 45 was just as out of whack.
As for the plinth it was beat up which made it look cheap.
How the H#ll does someone get off listing that as mint.
I just wanted to tell the seller he was a fool but i kept my composure thanked him and left.

It kinda makes you wonder about the other 'mint' condition gear he has listed. Noobies!

Hopefully the moderators will investigate the accuracy (and honesty) of this guy's grading.

If you can use one of those newfangled Internets, you can post photos in your damn classified ads. :roll:

PostPosted: Thu Aug 10, 2017 2:00 pm 

Chipmunk1957 wrote:
http://www.canuckaudiomart.com/details/649371894-radgear-turntable/

It looks sort of cool but I'm not sure how it would sound compared to comparably priced tables. It seems like it's fairly well made and they use quality components. The machining is very good and I assume it has a top notch main bearing. Pretty wild table actually and one that might be worth the effort. I believe the tonearm base is just moved into position to follow the middle of the spindle to the arm pivot/bearing position. Depends on the arm like a Jelco 250 ST would be 210 mm mounting distance so you simply measure that from the centre of the spindle to the arm board which can easily be moved since it's seperate from the table. I'm not crazy about the looks of this table overall so I would not be sure about recommending it. What about getting parts it you need them?

Last edited by Musicware4u on Thu Aug 10, 2017 2:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 10, 2017 2:05 pm 

Musicware4u wrote:
Chipmunk1957 wrote:

It looks sort of cool but I'm not sure how it would sound compared to comparably priced tables. It seems like it's fairly well made and they use quality components. The machining is very good and I assume it has a top notch main bearing. Pretty wild table actually and one that might be worth the effort. I believe the tonearm base is just moved into position to follow the middle of the spindle to the arm pivot/bearing position. Depends on the arm like a Jelco 250 ST would be 210 mm mounting distance so you simply measure that from the centre of the spindle to the arm board which can easily be moved since it's seperate from the table.

It would have been a nice table.
Read my last post.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 10, 2017 2:11 pm 

Chipmunk1957 wrote:
Musicware4u wrote:
Chipmunk1957 wrote:

It looks sort of cool but I'm not sure how it would sound compared to comparably priced tables. It seems like it's fairly well made and they use quality components. The machining is very good and I assume it has a top notch main bearing. Pretty wild table actually and one that might be worth the effort. I believe the tonearm base is just moved into position to follow the middle of the spindle to the arm pivot/bearing position. Depends on the arm like a Jelco 250 ST would be 210 mm mounting distance so you simply measure that from the centre of the spindle to the arm board which can easily be moved since it's seperate from the table.

It would have been a nice table.
Read my last post.

Wow so much for this table